Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Showreel Piece

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Zinco polycounter lvl 3
Hey guys! So just made a new thread for a new project I'm doing. I'm working on a concept by the amazing Juhani Jokinen.

So far I've blocked out the scene and have started making some assets. Gimmie any feedback you can :D thank you :D

(only thing not created by me in this scene is the plants; just place holder atm :)

qoNumU9.jpg

0qYLg77.jpg

l1MEuDa.jpg

B9L41vs.jpg

X7ogVjV.jpg

tlf5gGf.jpg

Replies

• Swarm22
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    About those barrels with the video screens on them. From the concept it's really hard to tell if that's what those really are supposed to be. In reality it makes zero sense why a barrel, that is shaped that way for stacking purposes, would have a screen protruding out of the top of it.

IMO, if you can't tell what it is from the concept, try and interpret it as something practical, like maybe it's just a regular barrel that had some kind of electronic device placed on it by a character, like maybe its just acting as a resting surface for a radio or TV or something.
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    As enviroments arent really my thing, i'll do my best to critique it so far.
    AS I can tell, The silhouettes from your models leave a bit to be desired. That might be how its meant to be, considering their trash cans, i still think it deserves a look at.
    Not to mention, I'm not sure what the last one is supposed to be, it looks like it woulda came off of batmans utility belt.
    also, why do those cans have tvs on them? are they connected or seperate?
    The textures on the other hand i'm down with. Like 4 flat tires on the ground partner. Good job on those.
    PS: I'm not sure what the first thing is, but it looks like the funnel on a ship.
    i'm looking forward to this.
  • BARDLER
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    I think it would be wise to nail out the large broad stroke assets before doing the small props.
    Get the floor, wooden docks, and a real good pass the spaceship pod things. Then build the props and stuff around them. If you go the other way around you will run into a lot of problems.
  • Zinco
    Offline / Send Message
    Zinco polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Swarm! Thank you for your feedback :) I did have difficulty deciphering exactly what the assets were; but to seperate them
    seems like a good way to go :) I'll have a play with this!

Hi pmiller :) Do you mean I should add some more variation to them? Like bash them about a bit? This could be a good idea!
    I have a very high bump/roughness map on the last one; so maybe i should tone this down.

Ello Project! I think from the feedback I'm getting this sounds like a good idea; or at least to seperate them. Cool idea having them as electronic devices too :D

Bardler; yeah I think this is a good idea haha; maybe go back to the blockout and just nail everything a bit more :) Then maybe start on the floor/surrounding area a bit more. Great advice; thank you !
  • AdvisableRobin
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    The textures are a little bit too noisy in my eyes, they could benefit from some visual rest. Part of it is the normal map being so intense and having so much high frequency detail in it. A lot of that could be left up to the roughness map.

I would also say let yourself use more geometry. Like the bands that run around the side of the barrel could totally be geometry. The metal box could use some kind of closing mechanism like a latch or something.
  • Zinco
    Offline / Send Message
    Zinco polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Advi; I agree, think i went a little crazy with the normals haha :D Will tone them down; and i'm always a bit careful with geometry; i'll add some more in and see how it looks :) and yesss, need to redo the box i think haha; add more latches to it etc, thank you for the advice!
  • pmiller001
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    hey zinco,
    yeah thats what i'm saying, right now they look too similar. a more personal touch is what i'm gettin at!.
  • Zinco
    Offline / Send Message
    Zinco polycounter lvl 3
    Hey guys, this is a quick update of the scene. Having a bit of trouble with lighting ... any ideas on how I should go about it? (is it dawn in the concept or midday overcast etc)

Any feedback would be great! :)

ENlJ8VZ.jpg
  • NomadSoul2501
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, lot's of progress since the last post.

Really liking how the composition worked out and the lighting that's already here guides the eye nicely.
    To offer my opinion on the lighting, I think it's late afternoon and overcast.
    It looks like now you have some particle effects between your fore and background;
    I'd add some more atmospherics and move some background objects even further back, everything kinda cramps your foreground now.

Can't wait to see this progress :)
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    I wouldn't worry about the lighting at this point but rather nailing down the models. I'm seeing dome really simple blocks in the background which need to be addressed. The scene in gerenal has a "last gen" fell witht he amount of polygonal detail. The wood pieces can still definitely use more polys. You have the meters object in the front sitting uncomfortably in a pipe. Get the models down more fine, the lighting can be concentrated on at the end. :)