Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest] - Flamedrix

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Flamedrix polycounter lvl 6
Here is one of my personal concepts for the contest, the turret. The other two will be uploaded as they are finished. The basic idea I'm following is these raw crystals that bend gravity.

01433a4e93413ecae7b0e981885f3c68.png

Replies

• parasyte7
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to make sure you saw this post with the update to the rules:

Hi everyone,

At Riot Games, we have a very strong feedback culture. We pivot and make adjustments when things can be done better or are not working. In the spirit of this culture and after internal conversations with feedback from the community, we have decided to make some tweaks to the environment section of the contest. You can now choose to create the turret or the inhibitor rather than being required to create both. We want to make sure we are giving everyone enough time to create assets that you are proud of and able to finish in time for the December 19th deadline.

We are also tweaking the animation com petition and not have animators pick an established character since animating a specific character without the exact model will be difficult. We want to see solid animations that are keeping the animation style of LoL in mind when creating these ability assets.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

-Kenny
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for this. This will save a bit of time for me, if I have time in the end I will do the inhib, but for now I'll focus on the others. Thank you again for the notice.
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    Progress on my turret. Early game mesh to get a sense of scale and form. Will be adding high poly detail soon.
    fb7c9189a0eb98a54a3d19a7757c5fab.png
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]e9b4be010bb14361bf20bedbaeeae408[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    Added crystals, chain, banner, and new base. Any critiques or ideas would be much appreciated.

ce6376986f400348515c5fa2adfd79e5.png
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]d674f16ef02e4d849b39987c3fd47d8c[/SKETCHFAB]
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Looking good! The only thing that stands out to me are the two smaller pieces near the base, it would feel more cohesive if they attached to the main turret in one way or another. Or maybe if there were more of them, just a thought.
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. Here is a version with the shoulder crystals mounted and a chain dropping down to connect to the two crystals. Hope this works out better.

f105345bc893f2c9c4bd484bcb71436a.png
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    Better view of the turret. Possibly final iteration, will be optimizing and texturing soon.

[SKETCHFAB]c761f00b4059482e8e45ed45626827db#share[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    Final build. Will be decimating to low poly version and then to unwrapping.
    c7183750e04884b2ca6f0cb9e227e66e.png
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    [SKETCHFAB]6125a348cf4f4e158bec5c94ee1735db#share[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working with different head variants. Will be working on creep camp, tower unwrap, and so on. Feedback is strongly advised, thanks.

c4522e297a0f02fc3f886192f7e1094a.png
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    I would make the chains bigger/thicker/less of them. From the distance it won't even be recognizable what it is. Also i think you could pull them out further and maybe have the bits at the side some form of anchor for the chains. Also currently your design feels a bit horizontal. Maybe try rotating the head of it 90 degrees and thicker. Make all the floating rock bigger too and the ones at the base. :)
  • Flamedrix
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated with some of the suggestions. I still have all four versions and am not sure which I will be sticking with.

4cddeddfd0e66b01ce5b5e85ec2829af.png
  • Sweetangel0467
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweetangel0467 polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say the first one of your suggestion looks good. Mainly because of the asymmetrical pieces. Or you could try and go for something more asymmetrical with all of your suggestions and then pick one?

The bigger chain looks better. Can you show a view from top down so I can see it's recognizable?

I'm really liking this project btw. :)
  • shadownet752
    Offline / Send Message
    shadownet752 polycounter lvl 6
    I'm a fan of the 3rd top little eye part above. It reads the best, in my opinion, it looks more sturdy without floating diamonds near the top.

I like that your turret stands out in style and shape, but making it fit in a bit more wouldn't hurt either. What sticks out to me is the small side baskets on your turret and how they almost match the look of the flame lamps in the level, consider making them match the style and look to help your turret look as if it's incorporated? Just a suggestion.

Either way, keep up the great work. get some color in there! :)