Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest] - anglorum

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
anglorum polycounter lvl 6
Hey there all!

It's been a good long while since I've gone and gotten myself stuck in a personal project of any real magnitude. Needless to say, the eruption of a riot-sponsored contest should have raised alarm bells sooner, but day jobs and personal lives so easily get the better of us.

Either way, I decided to set aside some time tonight and get a good bit of work done on this whole thing. I'm starting on the creep den, and have completed colors on one of my sketches. Ideally I'd like to complete colors on all four of them, since they have given us a rather generous deadline.

Final Updates to the project:

tgWSdvX.jpg

1rBdO2p.jpg

XjTe0Ui.jpg

R8RCq3f.jpg

5lHPlhj.jpg

Here are my WIP shots for posterity:

l91YsWf.jpg

nTsf9qu.jpg

p6N3wmM.jpg

dXtPsD4.jpg

Replies

• DefiledVisions
    Offline / Send Message
    DefiledVisions polycounter lvl 4
    I'm really liking the first and the third of the line sketches. They both have interesting silhouettes without getting too messy. The 2nd is a bit bland and boring.

I think you can make the simple silhouette work on the second one if you break up the open space on of the ground with some interesting shapes.

Nice stuff so far!! looking forward for more :]

oh and remember, we have the choice of either designing a turret or an inhibitor, not both.
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah! Thanks for the reminder. With that in mind I might be able to make a couple entries, as opposed to just one. (Free time willing!)

I agree though that the Skull den looks a little too sparse at the moment. I suppose I'm kind of nervous about adding TOO much stuff in there, as it feels like the regular dens in the game have relatively little actually going on IN them. Who knows though, I'll probably return to it later and throw a few other bones in there for fun.

Thanks though for the critique, and I'm glad you like the stuff!
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    omg, loving this one. nice design!
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks r4ptur3!

Pressing on with the conceptuals. This one needed a little bit of extra lovin, but I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

RCxdj11.jpg
  • GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    This skull thing looks amazing. Excited to see what's next :)
  • Ewing
    The Skull concept is fantastic!

It may just be personal preference, but I would like to see a little more plant growth on the skull itself, just to break up the color.

My 2 cents, but you know what your doing! :)
  • Bartalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great, nice integration of your painting into the screenshot :)

At first glance I actually thought the skull was an old tree trunk with a big knot hole. Maybe making the bone whiter will help it stand out as bone and not old wood.
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    So. I did this thing. As you can probably see, and as I learned about 20 hours into this son of a //redacted//... It's a nexus... not an inhibitor. Haha. I dunno. I finished it out anyways, just to see if I could do it.

ZCEI7HD.jpg

Let me know what you guys think?

It's worth noting that this isn't completely unlit I think..? I put it in maya and bumped the ambient color to a billion. Seems to have put it at flat lighting, as maya 2014 doesn't like to run flat lighting in Viewport 2.0 for whatever reason... but I digress. If you guys think it looks too abysmal, I'll take some shots of it in 3dcoat or unity... or I dunno. /fart

I'll go back and do an either strictly inhibitor, or turrent creation once I regain my faculties, and get some well-earned sle-ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzz!
  • haemorrhoides
    hm i guess i did the same mistake... (called it inhibitor, too).
    awesome work, you took up the look very well, model- and texturewise!

good luck farther on...

can you spam some more technical stuff,please (polycount, texture...)?
    thanks
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    Lovely texture :)
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    Haemorrhoides: Ah, thanks man. Haha, glad to know I'm not the only one attempting this contest who isn't mired in League fandom.

But yeah, I took a lot of time to really study the architectural and color beats of the nexus and ihibitors. I tried not to include too much that wasn't already alluded to from a structural perspective, but I wanted to push the avian aesthetic a lot more.

So far as tech specs: 1X 2048 diffuse (unlit) and about 7100 tris.

I'll post flats at the end of the project, but they're not really that spectacular to look at, since I knew I'd be hand painting this in 3D coat, I war pretty merciless on the seams.

FemCharles: Thanks a ton! Your work so far has been great as well!
  • Lilith
    That looks great, I love it :)
  • Perzik
    Offline / Send Message
    Perzik polycounter lvl 5
  • haemorrhoides
    thanks for the specs ;)
    after taking a look once again i just saw one little thing you might adjust. i think the crystal might not take so much of the blue light. as it is the source of energy (and magic - yey!) it should just absorb or overpower all the blue light...
    just my opinion, though ;)

greets
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    Haemorrhoides: You might be right about that. I tried to lean a bit more towards the red-side with my actual inhibitor.

It's still got some tweaking to go, but I'm fairly happy with how it turned out for all of 3 days work.

uMy6FbR.jpg
  • r4ptur3
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    those crystals are godlike
  • GravityBwlast
    Offline / Send Message
    GravityBwlast interpolator
    The crystals ! o_o
  • Kessler
    Offline / Send Message
    Kessler polycounter lvl 17
    really great work! I am impressed!
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    Yo yo yo! Just finished up the high poly. Gonna retop and uv this sucker tomorrow hopefully, time providing.

IysEyom.jpg

Gonna be eating some verts for thanksgiving.
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    And the finalized creep den.

U4uF98m.jpg

I'm definitely still open to critique, but this is as done as I can call this for tonight.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Turning out good. You might want to add some small shapes into the den. It's lacking that right now. Maybe just smaller pebble like rocks?
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the suggestion Jeff. I'll definitely take that into consideration, as it was something I deliberated on to remove the smaller details from the concept in the final model (like the bone spikes and other small rocks) so when I come back to this piece in about a week I'll probably be adding that stuff back in.

Also upon revisiting it a couple days later, I can see that my trees are WAYYYYYY off. I think the trees are the most difficult thing to stylistically replicate to begin with, so I'm going to give them a bit more TLC before I call this thing completely finished. Probably reduce the contrast towards the bottom and try to match the color a lil more accurately.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    great job! love your texture work! Have to ask, how did you approach the metal reflection for your inhib? Looks gorgeous! bakes?
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man, I love your work as well!

So far as the reflections and stuff in the metal, it was just down to out-n-out hand painted-ness. I did some very basic AO bakes for the bigger Inhibitor (nexus maybe I dunno) but for the smaller one, I did an extensive amount of baking and had a high poly and urrytang. But the funny thing is, I wound up spending an exorbitant amount of time painting over them anyways. I dunno, the lesson I've really learned since beginning this contest is that obtaining any real finalistic data from zbrush to do hand painted stuff with is HARD. I feel like I'd need some actual lessons in order to make it work, and not just have the normal maps fight me in the end result *if I'm using normal maps that is* or to just not have all the final textures look so... pre-computed, if that makes any sense.

I'm probably going to do some hand painted streams here soon, and I'd be happy to post on here when I do, if you're interested.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for sharing your approach. Yea, i'm totally interested! I'm using your metal reflection as ref cause its just so damn good! haha

Anyways can't wait till the final ver is done. good luck!
  • Daniel Duy
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel Duy polycounter lvl 5
    Good job Sir. The inhibitor look supper cool and I believe the creep den will be awesome too, very cool concept.
  • anglorum
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much for all the kind words and encouragement guys! I'm putting a pin in this one, and my final updates are on the front page. Ofcourse, I'm still open to hear any critiques, but I probably am burying the hatchet on this project as the holidays are coming swiftly and my contracts ain't gonna complete themselves! :D
  • Owl
    Offline / Send Message
    Owl polycounter lvl 6
    Turned out nice man! I like the added touch of the glowing cracks in the ground and the lighting from them on the other props. Definitely added some nice color to your scene.

Good work man and Good luck! :D
  • EatenByBats
    Offline / Send Message
    EatenByBats polycounter lvl 10
    nice work. your final pieces turned out fantastic. definitely one of the strongest entries.
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude your final ver came out so nice! hell of a job. Rooting for you dude!
  • FemCharles
    Offline / Send Message
    FemCharles greentooth
    The orange glow on the creep den was a good choice. It took it to the next level. Your final images look great! :)
  • D_Wall
    Offline / Send Message
    D_Wall polygon
    I really like your work man; this is quality and yeah...I just love it haha.

Food for thought though I saw some debate on another thread on how the current new summoner's rift is made right now, and there's a lot of implication that most of the rock work is actually just planes; and another separate entry on the environment thread seemed to use that method and it has exactly the same feel. I don't know if this is the kind of work you usually like to do, so thought I'd pass the info on since I found out about it.

Again, great job and I like what you did! :D