Home Technical Talk

Normal map seams question

Matthew Smith
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Matthew Smith polycounter lvl 4
Okay so I know there is probably an easy fix out there for this but for the life of me I cannot figure it out. I originally baked out my low poly with a cage inside of xNormal and everything turned out okay. In Maya’s viewport it looks like it worked.

tV2qDrl.jpg

But I imported my mesh into Substance Painter to start texturing and this is what I get:

Syv873G.jpg

The problem is that I only baked out half of the LP and of course I get a nasty seam down some of the pieces. I didn’t think about this since I’ve never experimented with mirrored UV’s before. Naturally I would like to try and fix this.

I read a thread here which deals with the same issue as I’m having. Theoretically it makes sense but I’m pretty sure I’m just not doing something right. So I duplicated my LP and moved my UV shells one tile to in the negative U.

V5aPumI.jpg

I then tried rebaking with my entire LP visible with a new cage but I still get that nasty seam down the middle. In fact it looks identical. Is there something I’m missing or nor doing correctly here? Help would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Substance Painter uses -Y swizzle on its normal maps, you can change that in the xNormal settings, or invert the green channel using Photoshop.

If you want to properly view a normal map with a -Y swizzle in Maya, go to your mesh's shape node in the Attribute Editor, find the Tangent Space section, and choose Left Handed.
  • Zelfit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zelfit polycounter lvl 8
    In Substance Designer 3D view go to shader options and change normal type from DirectX to OpenGL
  • Matthew Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know why I didn't think to try the normal with -Y before but it definitely helped. Here is what it looks like now:

QljonmV.jpg

The seam is definitely smaller but still there. I exported using FBX with a hard edge around the UV seam but should I smooth out the whole mesh? It didn't seem to make a difference when I switched to OpenGL either. Could it be from the bake itself? Do I need the cage to be smooth or something? Here are the settings I used for baking the LP as an FBX:

aAqBoS7.jpg

And here are the settings I used to export the cage (it's an SBM format):

LDee1ys.jpg
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    what´s looking strange to me is that you have shaded uv´s active but both shells shade blue while one should be red with mirrored uv´s. so make sure there are no flipped normals on one half of the mesh.
  • Matthew Smith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea that was my bad on posting that screen cap. I was trying ALL sorts of solutions and that just happened to be the UV set that was up at the time. Right now now I have the mirrored UV in red. I also tried moving it down in the V as well just to see. I even tried just flattening out the areas with the issues to see it would give a smoother transition but I don't even think I notice a difference. I'll keep plugging away and see if I can't fix this...