Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Viggo Mortensen - The Road

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
willlord polycounter lvl 11
So I am already a little ways into this but I thought I'd create a thread to log my work and get feedback from you wonderful peeps. This is a WIP of Viggo Mortensen from the film "The Road". Still tons to do on this so feedback is surely welcomed and appreciated. Thanks!
?format=750w

Replies

• marcobar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marcobar polycounter lvl 4
    Looking great so far - I especially like the way the jacket wrinkles in around the tighter belt above the waste. The overall outfit seems correct after looking at a shot from the film. The only potential problem with the shape of the outfit I can spot is the very bottom of the jeans. I feel like they get bit too large, almost like bell-bottoms, especially when viewed from the back.

Can we get a closeup of the face to better judge the likeness?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    How'd dyou get the clothes sculpt done?
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Cool idea! I really enjoyed this film when I saw it. Clothes look really good so far. First glance the face reminded me of Ed Harris... although I guess him and Viggo might have similar features. Would be nice to see a closeup.
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @marcobar - thanks for the feedback, I will post shot of his face asap.

@JadeEyePanda - The clothes started as a base from Marvelous Designer and then had a good deal of resculpt in zbrush with reference.
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some things have changes since this point, but I don't think it's change too much likeness-wise.
    ?format=1000w
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice start, altho I wouldn't rely on MD too much. The trouser creases don't make alot of sense, especially at the back, if you ref comparison that.

With the head think about the cranial bone structure beneath the likeness. His temple is very deformed atm, especially towards the brows. Also he could do with an adams apple :)
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Mask_salesman - Thanks for the Crit. I agree about MD for sure. It is the first time to use it (everyone at work has been talking about it). Not really feeling it, pretty unartistic IMO. But certainly makes fast work of a base mesh.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Is it worth the rent, or the buy?

Really teetering as a first-year professional about investing in it.

(This is before I even run a trial with it)
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marvelous? It is good in terms of getting reference from all angles, if you can get a trusted result.. The presets they have for fabrics have been iffy. It's a good thing to learn I would say, as I'm seeing a few studios starting to use it. But I find sculpted cloth more rewarding and more valuable. I personally am on the fence about it.
  • marcobar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marcobar polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the close-up of the face! The likeness looks quite solid to me, and the brow and cheekbones really sell it. A couple of things I noticed: I think the tip of Viggo's nose is a bit pointier than in your sculpt (it extends below his nostrils when he's photographed head-on), and I think the dimple on his chin could stand to be a little more pronounced.
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @marcobar - Thanks for the crit, bud! I'll give it another look and see what I can change.
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been doing some more work on this project in the free time I have after work. Here are some updates..
    torsoFront.jpg?format=1000w&storage=local

?format=1000w&storage=local
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    Really solid likeness. Loving the jacket, too. For the pants, I'd suggest making them a lot baggier. The shoes work, but iirc in the books (and some sections of the film) they have makeshift plastic bag covers over their shoes. I might be wrong, though.

tumblr_inline_navzmq0wZC1rzh2xf.jpg
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stirls - Thanks for the feedback! You're totally right about the pants size. I was intending to put plastic coming out from under the pants as shown on Robert Duval to the left on that picture, but putting them over the shoes as well well really add to things especially during the texturing phase...
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is an update on the likeness after some crits from here and my lead at work.face.jpg?format=1000w&storage=local
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    Nice progress so far. Man...that jacket looks great! The only thing that stands out to me right now is the nose. Viggo's nose appears to have a slightly higher peak and is a tad bit slimmer. Also, the bridge looks a little too deep.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    The road is one of the most brutal books ever written. It's probably the best book that I would absolutely never read again, just too brutal.

"He walked out in the gray light and stood and he saw for a brief moment the absolute truth of the world. The cold relentless circling of the intestate earth. Darkness implacable. The blind dogs of the sun in their running. The crushing black vacuum of the universe. And somewhere two hunted animals trembling like ground-foxes in their cover. Borrowed time and borrowed world and borrowed eyes with which to sorrow it."

That jacket is awesome, well done, and I like where the pack is going too.

The face feels muddy and a little short and or wide. Even thin as he looked in the road, he retains that chiseled look with the deep eyes and the strong jaw/chin.

And about the question for MD - it's always important to know cloth sculpting, but as a freelancer it's pretty invaluable as a tool. I can simulate anything to a mid-range in an hour or less, get a pretty decent mesh with zremesher and go to work. For details and mid-range construction, not so great, but for pumping out generalized base-meshes it unloads a ton of the boring click and drag work in Maya, or sphere and move brush work in zbrush.
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ljsketch - thanks for the input, I'll give the nose another look.

@Yuri - Yes! the book is very brutal, the movie isn't a peach either ;). What do you mean by muddy? I'll check against the reference and see what is there. Thanks!
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have taken into account all the great feedback I have gotten...I think :) Thanks again for that.. Unless anything jumps out to y'all or to me (i'm letting it rest for a week or so before I move on just to make sure nothing is weird with it) this is my final sculpt. Thanks for all the feedback!

frontBack.jpg?format=1000w&storage=local
  • Yilativ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really great :) Keep it up
  • willlord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message