Home Technical Talk

In need of some help with normal mapping!

Hey guys!
So I'm currently working on a temple environment and I've really been getting into Zbrush for adding detail. Only problem is I know some detail is pretty heavy and I'm looking for an effective way of making the normal maps awesome. The detail into the assets would make the environment go a hell of a long way in looking amazing. So any advice on this is really useful!
As far as I'm aware there is the potential of exporting a lower subdivision of the HP mesh from zbrush but I've never done it so an opinion on this would be great.
Here are a couple of objects - the two most in need of advice I'd say. The majority of assets follow this sorta sculpting detail though.

kX4z5JT.jpg?1

Replies

• JoakimMellergard
    Unless it's really heavy you can get great results rendering the maps in maya through T Transfer Maps. Think I've loaded 8m polygon sculpts or more into Maya. If it's heavy to do things in maya after the mesh is loaded you can hide the high poly - it will still bake the maps correctly.
    You should probably consider adding more detail on the top low poly,though. That one is very primitive. A few bevels and adding the "holes"/"creases" between the bricks (for the silhouette's sake) should work out quite nicely I believe. Also, the thing in the bottom of the sculpt that has been removed will probably look pretty weird in the map if you dont remove that part on the low poly aswell (maybe you have it like that already, can't actually see that side).
  • Numbtea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh right, yeah its on the other side sorry about that. I'll try to add some rivets then in between and see how that pans out. I'm not so concerned about the texture on the rock its just the large indents that are the problem. Thank you for your input here.