Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - VFX

[Riot Art Contest] - Adam Ostridge

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AdamOstridge polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys!

Given there's a VFX category I can't resist entering, really looking forward to seeing all the entries! :D

Will hopefully have something more to say or show soon, watch this space...

Replies

• AdamOstridge
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, so I guess it's about time I posted up some of my work instead of just lurking through everyone elses threads! It turns out jobs kinda get in the way of personal work a little but I've made a start to my first ability. I'm using PopcornFX and so a lot of my time is spent fighting with the scripting side of things to get all the timings, rotations, etc. working nicely but hopefully I'll start making some faster progress now the base is starting to come together. I have the impact blocked in veeeery loosely and the textures are all placeholder until I can create some Riot styles ones which will keep me occupied for my daily commute!

The ability is basically an AOE ward in which the player summons runes from the earth which are then launched into the sky, landing at the target location creating a circular ward in which the earth erupts with fire and stone, damaging and slowing the opponents within. (Much of which is yet to be done)

It's all very rough so far and there's a lot more to add but any suggestions and feedback are much appreciated as always! :D

58b199i.gif
  • Sirhaian
    Offline / Send Message
    Sirhaian polycounter lvl 3
    Woaw! I love the clarity on this one! Good job! Can't wait to see more! :D
  • Klemen
    Definitely a nice start, just need to speed things up a bit!
  • AdamOstridge
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, agreed about the timing, should get some better weighting soon. This is another laaaaate update but had an evening or two to work on it this week and should finally get time to up my game this weekend! This is just a quick tweak to the main design with new textures, polished movements, proper timing and general design fixes coming in the next few days. After I've pushed this a little further I'll be starting on my next effect which as a quick heads up will be a lightning and ice based effect! :D

WmiK7yL.gif
  • AdamOstridge
    Offline / Send Message
    A quick update given I've been pretty terrible at posting up WIP stuff, I roughed out some low poly ethereal hand...things for my next effect, the basic concept is a combination of ice and lightning to do something a little more elemental with the cast ability summoning the two hands that cast a freeze and then shock on the opposing player, shattering the ice with an explosive lightning blast. We'll see if it actually works in the coming days... :D

Oh2UyE2.png
  • Med3d2dfx
    Offline / Send Message
    Med3d2dfx polycounter lvl 3
    Kool a popcornFx user! If you want a help in scripting, i'm here! ;)
  • AdamOstridge
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Med! I should be okay for the most part, I've been using it a fair while now and I'm not doing anything too complicated but I'll definitely post up if I hit a brick wall and maybe post up some of my current script work for optimisation feedback and to give some examples for people just picking it up. It's nice to see it gaining more users in this challenge though; it's an incredibly powerful bit of software! :D