Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

4 Industry standard models *Student*

I've already created a previous thread which is a part of this but I've redone the whole thing. In this task for my course, I have to create four 500 Tris models to industry standard.
  1. Melee weapon
  2. Ranged Weapon
  3. Item of clothing
  4. An item from home
Each model, along with its 500 Tris, is allowed one 512 texture map, for the sake of detail and non pixilation (just invented that word), I'm working on 1024's and sizing them down as this was a tip given to me for texturing.
Within the four models, I also need to include the following to show my understanding of all texture maps:
  1. Diffuse
  2. Specular
  3. Alpha
  4. Normal
My deadline is drawing extremely close, but I'm still confident with what I can produce. I shall be hand painting all my models, unless restrictions prove otherwise. For the weapons, I am keeping with a medieval theme, the first model I have properly finished and just need to texture is the cross bow, I'll start the texturing later, any comments so far?

(I know I haven't labelled the unwrap...sorry)

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Industry standard, 500 tris, 512 texture map? Maybe some others can chime in but those specs seem pretty damn dated.

No comments so far though.
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    beefaroni wrote: »
    Industry standard, 500 tris, 512 texture map? Maybe some others can chime in but those specs seem pretty damn dated.

No comments so far though.

Sounds like mobile industry standard from about 5 years ago.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yea, I just want to add to this. You really should see if you're going to be limited like this throughout your entire college career. If so, find another school now.
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are very low specs. Do you know what the exercise is supposed to achieve? If it's possible I'd definitely get more geometry in there. Game engines these days can handle so much more, and it'd be a shame to lose detail to restrictions that don't really apply anymore.

Aside from that, the crossbow definitely looks like a crossbow! It's nicely modelled, and low poly stuff would probably suit a hand-painted style more. I usually find that low poly models look better with exaggerated proportions, so maybe you could play around with some of the scaling? I reckon if it's more stylised then the very low polycount will be less of an issue.

If there's nothing you can do about the spec, then that's fair enough. I think you've got a good starting point for your project, but as soon as you get more flexibility in your briefs, I'd up the resolutions and go for something more next/current gen.

(P.S. texture resolution or material definition might be what you're looking for with 'non pixellation' haha)

Nice work!
  • The Divided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If there's nothing you can do about the spec, then that's fair enough. I think you've got a good starting point for your project, but as soon as you get more flexibility in your briefs, I'd up the resolutions and go for something more next/current gen.

(P.S. texture resolution or material definition might be what you're looking for with 'non pixellation' haha)

Nice work!

Yeah, there's nothing I can do about it, it may be dated, but the exercise is to make sure we can model efficiently and effectively at low poly.
    It doesn't give me much freedom in modelling unfortunately..!..Yeah that sounds more sophisticated haha, thank you though :)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I guess, given the restrictions, and if they're not explicitly telling you, hopefully you also understand from this excercise that silhouette is one of the most important things that game art must nail consistently, even if it's a weapon.

Only add polys if it contributes to the silhouette.

Also, define handpainting. Like WoW? Because they don't use any specular maps.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Not to be nit picky but WoW does use specular maps for its terrain
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I stand corrected. Did not know that!
  • The Divided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With the specular map aspect, it is just one of the recent texture maps my teacher wants to see I understand and use it efficiently
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    Swarm22 wrote: »
    Sounds like mobile industry standard from about 5 years ago.

If you think you can use a unique 512 texture for every item in a mobile game TODAY, you will have a very, very small game or a phone emulated on a PC.

'OMG but in crysis they'd make 2 million poly weapons and bake them to 4k textures on a 5k mesh, Your lecturers don't know what they're saying...'
    Maybe, but 4 times??? as one task??? in one learning assignment with a students work pace??? Think it out before you rant guys.

The spec given for that assignment is reasonable, maybe generous for mobile, it's also reasonable for PC or console, depending on the game, angle, model complexity and importance of asset or as a LOD.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    Nice model so far, what part is going to be your transparent part. I would have probably made the string as a long plane and used that to paint it on.
  • xChris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xChris polycounter lvl 10
    I'd say 500 tris for the blade piece, but 1024 x 1024 texture sizes is what I've seen more of latley
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    You mentioned you were going to use hand painted textures for your assets. What is going to be your general technique for making spec and normal maps? Also, hand painted textures lend themselves well to more stylized models too. Exaggerating shapes and sizes of your props would be a great way to make your work stand out against other students.

I think its important to point out that everyone is going to have a different idea of what "industry standard" means, it is probably a poor choice of words. There are different standards for every single platform you could ever make a game for. The studios that are on the bleeding edge of game art are probably in the minority, especially with more and more mobile game companies popping up that have very limited memory for models and textures.
  • The Divided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Kel-Shaded, Youngy798, I can apply the maps to an object of my choice, so I will be applying the alpha map to the item of clothing as it shall be a cape with tears in. xChris and Moosebish, I'm just working to my briefing.

I'm sorry for the slow progress, I've only got a few images to show you of my progression. 3DS Max doesn't install on my home PC or laptop and I don't have Photoshop so all work is done in college.

I've changed from the crossbow to a bolter from Warhammer 40k, so, on about the exaggeration of model areas, with this model, it's nearly already the case. Plus, I a render for the melee which is an axe.
  • The Divided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bolter is done for now, though after completing the axe texture I will be getting rid of the writing on the side as I forgot about the mirror. But for now its finished and along with this post is the unwrap for the axe.
  • mr_ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    when it comes to hand painting textures, you have to really paint stuff, check out this video, also there's some good tutorials on youtube for it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgvX9qQt3-U

also you need to work on your uv layout, you need to make much better use of space, and stitch more stuff together so it fills out the space better and is easier to paint. baking ambient occlusion is also a great starting point for texturing
  • The Divided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, yeahh, unwrapping isn't my best, I never know how is best to unwrap, I will check the link :)
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    It's always best to take the maximum spaces, else it's an enormous waste. At first, it's like doing a puzzle, with time is becomes way easier
  • The Divided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've still got a bit of work before 4pm today, here's two rendered pictures of the axe, I'll be uploading sketchfab links later for all four items, I'm still to finish two of them, just got a small bit of texturing to do.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Your rendered pictures look very dark, maybe you try to use lights for your presentation. This helps you too because you can take a better look on your meshes :)
  • Teessider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teessider polycounter lvl 11
    your specifications are definitely not "industry standard". Industry standard is very varied but the limitations you have been given are at the low end of the scale (very much mobile orientated).

Current gen stuff would usually consist of physically-based textures - Base Colour/Albedo, Specular or Metalness, Gloss/Roughness and any other type of texture u would need like opacity etc.

Even with the legacy textures u need all your textures - Diffuse, Spec & GLOSS, normal, opacity etc. to work together in order to make a good asset(s)

In terms of the triangle limit - you can certainly get a good silhouette out of 500 triangles. Use all of them ;)

I agree with Crazy_pixel too. Get some lights in there! :D
  • The Divided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys! These are three of my four models, the ranged, home item and melee weapon!
    [SKETCHFAB]9a5bba39e00648568122a1744be0e2a7[/SKETCHFAB]
    [SKETCHFAB]63ed52d3568d42c48486ce9a06343bd2[/SKETCHFAB]
    [SKETCHFAB]d40ddaf1204643b9a0ffd59987e8b18c[/SKETCHFAB]
    [SKETCHFAB]ba0003db3d8d4501a228466dcb825456[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    In my opinion is the Backgammon model your strongest mesh, the other textures are really blurry.

If you want a seamless polypainting try 3dcoat :)
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    theses are not industry standard, I think you really need rethink your models and textures, take some more time, refine them and add some details. Right now your models don't look anywhere near last gen.
  • The Divided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Crazy_pixel, Sziada - thank you for your valuable input, I know they're not, I did my best with the limited time I had as I started this all late.
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    if you put in more time and effort you will get there man, but you can see if you don't it shows, but just keep working at mate.
  • The Divided
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did what I could in the limited time