Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Environment Art

[Riot Art Contest] r4ptur3

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IDEA:

A space ship has crashed, and the creep have used it's various parts to create a makeshift nexus, turret and shelter. The creep hang out in an old turbine while spare parts where used to create a nexus which powers a tesla type turret. Every piece is connected by heavy wires concealed in underground pipes.

CONCEPTS:

101814a.jpg

101814b.jpg
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Ooh I like the unifying theme, can't wait to see more!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    102314a.jpg

finally got some time to myself -- blocked out the creep den and did a quick paint-in to make sure the perspective/color scheme works.
  • parasyte7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    parasyte7 polycounter lvl 18
    I just want to make sure you saw this post with the update to the rules:

Hi everyone,

At Riot Games, we have a very strong feedback culture. We pivot and make adjustments when things can be done better or are not working. In the spirit of this culture and after internal conversations with feedback from the community, we have decided to make some tweaks to the environment section of the contest. You can now choose to create the turret or the inhibitor rather than being required to create both. We want to make sure we are giving everyone enough time to create assets that you are proud of and able to finish in time for the December 19th deadline.

We are also tweaking the animation com petition and not have animators pick an established character since animating a specific character without the exact model will be difficult. We want to see solid animations that are keeping the animation style of LoL in mind when creating these ability assets.

We thank you for your understanding and look forward to seeing what you all come up with.

-Kenny
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    102414a.jpg

Blocked out inhibitor, did paint-in to work out color scheme. Decided to rock that blue crystal. Despite the change to the rules (thanks for the in-thread post!) I think I am going to go for all three. Would be a shame to lose one since they are all themed :) We'll see what happens when it comes down to crunch time!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    102714a.jpg

not terribly much progress, got the creep den into ZBrush and started to add details. Was thinking about adding a rock wall around back but not too sure about it yet.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    103014a.jpg

almost done with the sculpt for this one, will leave the rest for painting. remesh and texture blockout to come soon :)
  • Sharvo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sharvo keyframe
    This is looking sweet, some nice details going on here and i can certainly imagine some sort of creep living in there... Look forward to seeing this progress. Its nice to see something going away from the rock and tree idea (one that i have fallen into at the moment).
  • Odow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    Not sure if you read the rules, but creep den need at least a tree and a rock :<
    The creep den is entirely up to you on how big or small you want this to be. The only requirement is a tree or bush and a rock or rocks. Everything else is up to you.
  • Flaxor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Earthworm Jim called, he wants his space ship back ;) It looks really cool and fits with the style of the game nicely. I wonder if the hole is in a good position though and can be seen well from the high camera angle.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Sharvo -- it was so dead in this thread I was starting to second guess if I had gone too far. Thanks for the compliments!
    @Odow -- there are going to be bushes all over this thing, so not to worry :D
    @Flaxor -- haha, thanks! Good call on the hole -- I'll mess with it a little tonight to make sure it reads.
  • pixelb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelb greentooth
    Hey, great sculpt! I would get rid of the rivets, though, or at least space them out further. Right now they're kind of cluttering the jet.
  • hypronost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hypronost polycounter lvl 6
    I love this one. Great concept. It would be awesome to have a whole map like this. Feels very "post-apocalyptic plane graveyard".
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    110314a.jpg
    110314b.jpg

remesh and quick bake, sitting at 2700 tris. will probably cap about around 3100 once the foliage / tweaking is in there. also going to remove half of the bolts ... I agree they are distracting.
  • vonRobit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vonRobit polycounter lvl 3
    Nice! Can't wait to see the paint job on all these sweet models. Definitely like the original take on these too.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    111514a.jpg

been a while, but more progress. lowpoly tonight / tomorrow, then cleanup and painting for both :)
  • anglorum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anglorum polycounter lvl 6
    Oh hell yeah man, the values on that inhibitor look spot on. Super painterly. Can't wait to see your colors!
  • bibi123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where used to create a nexus which powers a tesla type turret. Every piece is connected by heavy wires concealed in underground pipes.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    111714a.jpg

111714b.jpg

quick update, remesh of inhib. took much longer than anticipated ... uv's are half way done. quickly masked out color locations in photoshop for creep den (super duper WIP).
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    112514a.jpg

UV'd and ready to go. Started messing with grass (bottom center) and random mushroomey stuff. Pretty happy with the technique, gonna move forward. Thinking about trashing those crystals and making some with a little more swag. Starting to feel that "oh shit, you are starting to run out of time" feeling!
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    120114a.jpg

ripped the god awful crystal out and replaced it with a new one. Been spending too much time on the terrain without enough payoff . . . going to give it one more big push this week and switch over to the Creep Den to make sure I don't run out of time.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    120614a.gif

more progress, one day left...still plowing.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    120714b.jpg

120714a.gif

still so much to do . . . gonna shelf this until i finish the creep den. there's a pop in the crystal's animation due to the gif -- feels much nicer in maya :)
  • EatenByBats
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EatenByBats polycounter lvl 10
    Looking really nice. I really like the soft way you've handled the terrain. For the crystal, you may want to consider some really tight and sharp reflections to give it a glossy effect. Right now the highlights are very soft and it's reading as a more diffused gummy-like surface.
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback! I'll sharpen it up and put some highlights in there for sure :D
  • Daniel Duy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daniel Duy polycounter lvl 5
    Very cool idea, and the animation, OMG, that inhib look so alive. Wish I could do that with mine, but I have no idea how. lol
  • r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks like I ran out of time ; ; Good luck everyone, and thanks for the support!!!