Home General Discussion

What are some good models to get started?

Youngy798
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
Hey everyone, I am fairly competent at 3d, I can make fairly basic objects and shapes but I want to get better at it. I have tried making weapons before but I always seem to get to a point where I get stuck.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good projects to work on, specific items and objects?

I am looking for something simple to make, that will let me practice my skills and develop texturing techniques.

Thanks in advance :D

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Start off with low level, low risk stuff. Tables, crates, power ups for games. Then do weapons, gear, etc. Then move of to small enviros, enemies, etc. Keep leveling up once you master each level.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    If you're fairly competent, I would move on from simple objects. I found I learned the most starting out when I took on a project that put me in way over my head. Something really complicated.

It depends on how best you learn though. Some people prefer to start really simple and work their way up. There's always the classics, like an oil drum or a crate. Or try following some tutorials that show you a start to finish asset creation pipeline.

Anything will help though, the most important thing is that you follow through and put in the work. So do something that you're interested in and passionate about.
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    I was thinking about making some assets for a world war 1/2 kind of trench. So wooden boards, sandbags, tables, radios etc. I find world war stuff fairly interesting :D
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Polycount's Weekly Hardsurface Challenge is an invaluable source of modeling inspiration and shapes for practice. Do a dozen or two of them and you'll be a better modeler in no time.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Shiniku wrote: »
    If you're fairly competent, I would move on from simple objects. I found I learned the most starting out when I took on a project that put me in way over my head. Something really complicated.

I'd say you should consider this aswell. My best stuff has come from jumping into stuff that's seemingly way over my head, but turned out to be just right. It's just as easy to be too cautious, as it is to be overconfident.

But maybe that's just me, Jeff has some really solid advice aswell.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Well for just improving do the monthly noob challenge stuff. I did that a few months ago. It was fun just to goof around making the concept provided. I tried some new stuff out in 3D Coat I had been wanting to mess around with and learn. Good time to expand the skill toolset!
  • phaedarus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    phaedarus polycounter lvl 10
    There's an unwritten rule somewhere that states the obligatory model required for one's portfolio is the Colt 1911.

I think it's almost safe to say it is the standard 3D model many a game artist has cut his or her teeth on prior to landing a job.

Something to aspire to.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Start off with low level, low risk stuff. Tables, crates, power ups for games. Then do weapons, gear, etc. Then move of to small enviros, enemies, etc. Keep leveling up once you master each level.

Yep. Do this and make sure you nail every part.

I realize that there are people in this thread that are like "go for something big!". But seriously, most of the time, large projects never get finished or they just don't look good.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    beefaroni wrote: »
    But seriously, most of the time, large projects never get finished or they just don't look good.

This is something I struggle with a lot, even now. I'd definitely recommend sticking to simple stuff, however that doesn't mean you have to pick the same concepts or object everyone else is doing. (I.e. remington 870, glock)
    Knives are good for practice. Revolvers and pistols are a bit more complex but still good for a beginner (or anyone really)