Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Prop art - Old sofa

Hi Polycount!

I thought I'd share my latest endeavour for anyone who might be interested in tracking its progress.

The subject matter is an old battered leather sofa. I started with a basic mesh in 3DS Max (I'll be building a low poly after sculpting) and took it into ZBrush for detailing. I'm pretty happy with how it's going, especially as ZBrush is one of my weaknesses, but feel free to crit it if you notice anything.

I'll do my best to keep you updated on my progress, and I'll be keeping a slightly more detailed record on my website blog. Thanks for looking!

Here are some construction shots of my progress so far:

Base mesh in 3DS Max:
warthur_sofa_prog001?format=1500w

Early detailing in ZBrush:
warthur_sofa_prog002?format=1500w

Further detailing:
warthur_sofa_prog003?format=1500w

Replies

• iFraude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iFraude polycounter lvl 10
    Wow, sick sculpting, I really like it ! Unfortunately I won't be able to give you any critics since it all looks good to me so far ^^
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Very nice, id bang up the front bottom a bit more though to fit in with the rest. Excited to see your texturing on this :D
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks iFraude, I'm glad you like it!
    Cheathem wrote: »
    Very nice, id bang up the front bottom a bit more though to fit in with the rest. Excited to see your texturing on this :D

Yeah, I've just been working on that bottom bit, although I think I've gone a bit overkill because I'm in crease-everything mode haha.

Here's what it looks like now:

warthur_sofa_prog004?format=1500w

But I reckon I'll delete the wooden frame and redo it, but with very subtle detail as if it was more of a polished wood.

The texturing seems quite daunting at the moment Cheathem, so that'll be a pretty long process I reckon. I want to get a few subtle tears on it too, and show some surface wear in the texture.

Thanks for your comments!
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good.

My only crtiiqe would be that the cushions need to look like people have been sitting in them, like that worn indent look. Right now they are a bit too fluffy :)
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    I can tell haha creases everywhere. Not necessarily a bad thing though, makes it look very decrepit :D I like the idea of making the bottom front more like polished wood, and everyone loves a nice wood texture. And yes, some small tears and surface wear would be great for the texture. I hope the texturing goes pretty smooth for you!

Do you plan on putting this couch in a small environment cut out? like a simple floor and wall behind it?
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet wrote: »
    Looking good.

My only crtiiqe would be that the cushions need to look like people have been sitting in them, like that worn indent look. Right now they are a bit too fluffy :)

Thanks for the comment MeshMagnet! I had considered this, and thought that they would slouch in between the cushions, so I made indents there instead. I always find that older sofas sag more, and therefore you're more likely to sink into the middle.
    Cheathem wrote: »
    I can tell haha creases everywhere. Not necessarily a bad thing though, makes it look very decrepit :D I like the idea of making the bottom front more like polished wood, and everyone loves a nice wood texture. And yes, some small tears and surface wear would be great for the texture. I hope the texturing goes pretty smooth for you!

Do you plan on putting this couch in a small environment cut out? like a simple floor and wall behind it?

Yeah I reckon it'd create quite a nice contrast to have a sweet wooden material tucked away at the bottom. Nice wood textures are the best haha!

I'm building a medium sized interior environment for my final year project, and this will be a part of it. I'm keeping it a bit under wraps at the moment, but I'll probably post several of the assets along the way. When the project is done/nearly done I'm definitely posting it on here!
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warthur_sofa_prog006?format=1500w

Okay, so the laborious task of unwrapping is done, and I've baked my normal and AO maps in xNormal. I've got it into UE4 and started the texturing process.

At the moment they're basic passes, so there's lots more to do.
  • Xsim1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xsim1 polycounter lvl 4
    Wow, I'd love to have a couch like that! :o

Good job on unwrapping and baking, it came out nicely. the silhouette is a bit sharp at some places, but I probably noticed it because of the very light background.

Good job, really impressive sculpting skills :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    Really cool! Don't suppose you could share some resources on how you're getting those lovely sharp creases and seams in ZB? I can do hard edged stuff (Rocks, brick, wood etc) but fabric is still a mystery to me!
  • Adrian Pieroni
    Really cool! Don't suppose you could share some resources on how you're getting those lovely sharp creases and seams in ZB? I can do hard edged stuff (Rocks, brick, wood etc) but fabric is still a mystery to me!

You can use dam standard while holding Alt, with lazy mouse on. And without alt and then using the pinch brush to tighten for seams
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Xsim1 - Thanks! Yeah I'm pretty pleased with the bake, it's retained a lot of the detail. I agree, I think the silhouette will be a lot more subtle when it's in an environment. Sculpting isn't usually one of my strengths so that means a lot!

I've started keeping a record of some of my workflows on my blog, but if people are interested I might go back and add in more detail so you can refer to it for techniques.

I've sort of been making it up as I go along. The standard brush on zAdd and zSub play a huge part of it, mmuch like @Adrian Pieroni said. I'll see if I can add more details to my blog, and I'll post on here when I do.
  • j.pears
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j.pears polycounter lvl 4
    wow man very nice. loving the sculpt and the texture material. have you though about adding some wear to it, when leather gets worn it goes light. might be a nice contrast
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    j.pears wrote: »
    wow man very nice. loving the sculpt and the texture material. have you though about adding some wear to it, when leather gets worn it goes light. might be a nice contrast

Thanks! Yeah that's my current task, getting some variation and subtle signs of damage. I'll be sure to add some faded areas to it too.
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just finished adding a load of detail to the roughness, diffuse/albedo and detail normal. I've also set up the metalness map. I've also altered the hue of the sofa in general.

Any thoughts? Or anything that doesn't read properly?

warthur_sofa_prog007?format=1500w
  • WesleyArthur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've compiled my main techniques into a tutorial sheet. I'm going to post more on my website (and probably on Polycount) in the future. Hope it's of some use!

@Auldbenkenobi - I hope this helps with your fabric sculpting.

warthur_tutorial_zbrushcreases?format=1500w