Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character Modeling Critic - Student Work

Replies

• AlexJWhite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While technically, I'm impressed by your zBrush ability (though I'm not a zBrush artist myself), I find myself questioning the purpose and nature of these creatures.

The first creature I would assume to be a predator based on its sharp, multiple rows of teeth, however, its eyes appear to be on the side of its head, when predators have forward facing eyes designed for chasing prey. Secondly, and someone can correct me on this, I'm not sure if its neck is strong enough to support that bulbous head, as imposing as it may be.

The second one I am confused as to more so. It has a tusk and an elongated nose that would, together, prevent it from getting anything in its mouth in order to feed. And what is the purpose of such an irregularly shaped skull - is it a vestige of its ancestors if it were a humanoid, or is it an animal and it need it for some for of combat? Also a tusk like that would be pointless unless I'm mistaken as if it were to engage in face to face combat, both combatants would have their face gored simultaneously should they be used. From an evolutionary standpoint, some of the features are a little questionable.

Try and think of all your creatures as having some sort of story as to why they are how they are, it makes their features more interesting and easily justified :)
  • Shurkuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    My C&C would be almost the same as AlexJWhite, your creatures look fantastic, artistically but are weak in "making sense in evolution".

Like Alex said, eyes that are on opposite sides (For about 270 degree vision) is mostly for prey because they are constantly alert for predators.

The head looks like it would be for mating purposes, like colliding with another Male. If that is what your rationalizing to it's anatomical purpose.

(I personally find your first head bust to be passable as it looks interesting and could work)

For your second bust...

The nose does stick out a bit to much, if you gave the feeling that it could be controlled as a muscle. (So he can move it out of the way so he can bite) I think that would be better.

His horn seems to be counter-intuitive as running into anything would be bad for his health.

I would like to point out to flesh out the ears and possible indicate to where the nostrils are. But it looks like the Rendered image has more detail (Especially the ears) than the ZBrush Viewport does. Is this true?
  • NizzaRebelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First of all thank you all for the comments!!
    AlexJWhite wrote: »
    While technically, I'm impressed by your zBrush ability (though I'm not a zBrush artist myself), I find myself questioning the purpose and nature of these creatures.

The first creature I would assume to be a predator based on its sharp, multiple rows of teeth, however, its eyes appear to be on the side of its head, when predators have forward facing eyes designed for chasing prey. Secondly, and someone can correct me on this, I'm not sure if its neck is strong enough to support that bulbous head, as imposing as it may be.

The second one I am confused as to more so. It has a tusk and an elongated nose that would, together, prevent it from getting anything in its mouth in order to feed. And what is the purpose of such an irregularly shaped skull - is it a vestige of its ancestors if it were a humanoid, or is it an animal and it need it for some for of combat? Also a tusk like that would be pointless unless I'm mistaken as if it were to engage in face to face combat, both combatants would have their face gored simultaneously should they be used. From an evolutionary standpoint, some of the features are a little questionable.

Try and think of all your creatures as having some sort of story as to why they are how they are, it makes their features more interesting and easily justified :)

Alex I appreciate the feed back, generaly like you said I would create a background story for the thing I do has it is necessary in my university, for these creatures I just went for it maked use of some happy accidents, but now I totaly agree with you :)

Shurkuris wrote: »
    My C&C would be almost the same as AlexJWhite, your creatures look fantastic, artistically but are weak in "making sense in evolution".

Like Alex said, eyes that are on opposite sides (For about 270 degree vision) is mostly for prey because they are constantly alert for predators.

The head looks like it would be for mating purposes, like colliding with another Male. If that is what your rationalizing to it's anatomical purpose.

(I personally find your first head bust to be passable as it looks interesting and could work)

For your second bust...

The nose does stick out a bit to much, if you gave the feeling that it could be controlled as a muscle. (So he can move it out of the way so he can bite) I think that would be better.

His horn seems to be counter-intuitive as running into anything would be bad for his health.

I would like to point out to flesh out the ears and possible indicate to where the nostrils are. But it looks like the Rendered image has more detail (Especially the ears) than the ZBrush Viewport does. Is this true?

Shurkuris I didn't do anything besides changing some levels and adjusting the values in some parts of the face, has for the horn I thought of some primal instinct of measuring power by just slamming horns together !!