Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tileable stone wall, zbrush

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
kinslayer233 polycounter lvl 4
Hello, i have been working on this wall to practice some organic modeling.
So i modeled the blocks and everything on Z brush, arraged them so they tiled and rendered the maps there, then i prepared the textures in ps.
I want to add this image on my portfolio so i would like some advice to improve it. Maybe it would look better without the blurry background? with a plain color?

ccc2.png
maps.jpg

Replies

• pixelpatron
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Wouldn't of known it was a sculpt. Appears flat and the shading is killing any edge details you'd want the eye to see. Sorry Charlie. Try again, simple things like this are often the hardest to pull off.
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Your normals are looking good, they seem to be lost on your model though.
    Could i see just the normals on the mesh?

Also your texture looks a little rushed to me, i can spot that texture from CGtextures a mile away. While its not bad that you've used CGtextures, i do, its evident that there was no manipulation.

Your AO is coming off really strong as well, but i suspect that its your diffuse texture, you have 2 base albedo colors for your stone, almost as if its a different kind of stone just because its recessed or damaged, i'd make your diffuse more uniform in color.

Keep it up though, keen to see you nut this out.
  • 3dReaper
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    How does this look on a plane though?

Also this is not organic modeling... unless you want to get into a loose definition.
  • kinslayer233
    Offline / Send Message
    kinslayer233 polycounter lvl 4
    Thanks for the tips!
    I'm going to work more on the diffuse, maybe adding some moss or dirt on the lower area.
    On the other hand i will try to reduce the AO intensity, but for some reason the areas between each stone do not look good with lower AO, i'll see if i can fix that.
    Here are the nm only and the texture on a plane

ccc4.jpg
    ccc3.jpg
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This is sculpted? Can we see the sculpt? Also, I wouldn't extrude the mesh...it just looks bad that way. There is also way too much black so figure out a way to kill that a bit.
  • Jean-Pascal
    Offline / Send Message
    Jean-Pascal polycounter lvl 5
    The bricks that have a high contrast compare to the other ones (the black square brick for example) will stand out quite a lot once you tile your texture. I'd be careful about that!
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah as Slosh said, ditch the extrusion.

So do you want this to be PBR? if so you wanna ditch the lighting in you diffuse map.