Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student Portfolio Environment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
AutoExit polycounter lvl 9
Hi, i am not sure if i should call this thread student as i am self-taught, but i want to show my actual status in a career. My objective is use this portfolio to work for free for some non-commercial project to get experience and replace actual portfolio's works with more professional ones. My goal is get salary by working as environment and prop artist.

http://autoex3d.wix.com/portfolio

Replies

• AutoExit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just made some update and fix some stuff.
  • CBolyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CBolyer polycounter lvl 3
    Hey there! I'd be more than happy to share some thoughts on your website and your work.

Firstly about your website, when opened in a tab your page is simply listed as "portfolio" .. I would suggest adding your first or last name to help potential employers and even other Polycount users distinguish that the page is yours directly.

Next for your artwork. Very promising!

I feel that your first image is great as a finished product but we don't have much to work with. My suggestion to display this work would be to remove the ground plane that is visible as well as the blue background. Replace both with a plain black background so that we are looking at your work and not the fluff. Also a wireframe of your model in addition to your UV Maps would be excellent!

In regards to the second image; The main picture you have of this scene has something that I must comment on first. The top right corner. Hide that nasty seam! Change the camera angle, move the camera, or expand your environment! Other than that I feel that its a great start. Some of your textures (such as the roof tiles) could be a little sharper as they appear blurry at the moment. For the second image of the Village, the plant right in front of the Camera should be shifted or altered. When it is this close to the screen we can see all of the detail on it. The textures and trunk are fine but you may want to add a few more divisions to the leaves and make them more rounded rather than flat.

Your water tower is, in my opinion, your best work displayed on your website. You included a wireframe, texture and normal maps. I am not a prop artist so I cannot offer any other comments on this piece.

Good stuff. Looking forward to updates.
  • AutoExit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your feedback. Actually Village is my worst work and i plan to replace it with another one. When you say that water tower is my the best work i get the idea,i get which values you evaluate. I am going to update my portfolio soon.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should include a proper contact page, and include a mailto: link at the top of the page; most people won't expect to find one at the bottom.

Include your name & contact information on your images.
  • CBolyer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CBolyer polycounter lvl 3
    DWalker wrote: »
    You should include a proper contact page, and include a mailto: link at the top of the page; most people won't expect to find one at the bottom.

Include your name & contact information on your images.

Completely agree!