Home Technical Talk

Why are my edges shifting during animation?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
Here's a gif to explain it all.
I saw the texture snapping at first, so I triangulated it and saw what was happening. Any ideas?Is this going to be a problem if I export it as an fbx for unity?

edge_shift_by_petro_hawczak-d81qneq.gif

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would help to know which software this is.

In 3ds Max the Editable Poly modifier will triangulate polygons dynamically, usually trying to shift internal edges to the shortest distance between vertices.

This looks like exactly what is occurring here.

On export though, this dynamic surfacing system is lost, so you only get the triangulation that occurred in the bind pose (the mesh you had when you first assigned your bone weights).
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
    It would help to know which software this is.

In 3ds Max the Editable Poly modifier will triangulate polygons dynamically, usually trying to shift internal edges to the shortest distance between vertices.

This looks like exactly what is occurring here.

On export though, this dynamic surfacing system is lost, so you only get the triangulation that occurred in the bind pose (the mesh you had when you first assigned your bone weights).

Okay cheers Eric, this is done in Maya fyi. But as long as the artifacts don't occur in the Unity engine, it's not a problem.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    If you use the Node Editor to move the Triangulation before the Smooth Bind, you won't see it in Maya either.