Home Technical Talk

Rigging Query

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
What is the difference between:
Rigging a character that is split and a character that is combined?

-Pros vs Cons? Why do people use each one?
-Should I split my character up?

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Are you talking about the character's mesh? Or about the skeleton?
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster wrote: »
    Are you talking about the character's mesh? Or about the skeleton?

Hey monster,
    I am talking about the mesh, so for instance detaching the head from the rest of the body. Are blendShapes the only reason behind this?
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Typically I call them parted models, and there are 3 reasons to do so.. Morph Targets / blendshapes are not a reason to part a model.

1. Performance. If you part a model at every joint the verts can be rigid weighted. This is much faster as most game engines know when a model doesn't use vertex blending and they have special render paths they can use.

2. Customization. If your game requires swappable armor or limbs you can plan and only part the affected areas.

3. Deformation. Some times instead of using extra twist bones it's easier to part the model at a particular joint. Sometimes I'll ask a modeler to part a character at the wrist or shoulders if the design supports it.

Here's an example of a parted model from a game I worked on called Orcs Must Die.

VideoGameArt_OrcsMustDie_Orcs03_ChrisMoffitt.jpg

VideoGameArt_OrcsMustDie_Orcs04_ChrisMoffitt.jpg
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster wrote: »
    1. Performance. If you part a model at every joint the verts can be rigid weighted. This is much faster as most game engines know when a model doesn't use vertex blending and they have special render paths they can use.

2. Customization. If your game requires swappable armor or limbs you can plan and only part the affected areas.

3. Deformation. Some times instead of using extra twist bones it's easier to part the model at a particular joint. Sometimes I'll ask a modeler to part a character at the wrist or shoulders if the design supports it.

Cheers for clearing that up.
    I had a look at Orcs Must Die, and I guess for small character that don't get too much attention it would make sense to separate everything.
    You hardly notice it in the game.