Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A Boy and his Monsters {Character WIP}

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
Update:
11/09
jcPpNRp.jpg

I started this pre-comiccon challenge and then put it down, now that the challenge is over Im picking it back up.

I saw this illustration by Don Kenn a while back and I thought it would be fun to do something based off this and then take it a bit further...
To be clear, this is just inspiration Im not trying to recreate this exactly.
NUAexK0.jpg

I started with the monsters but I will be redoing a lot of my texture work to push things farther. There will be different variants with hue shifts and proportional differences, same mesh, textures and rig, just tweaks.

5N9MUAw.jpg
wEHH0zP.jpg

I also made a "carved version" and some gibs to use as a background element
zrs1Cdr.jpg

And here's the boy, I took the weekend and refined the face/head and the clothing a bit more and did a proportion tweak or two.
cMGMVf1.jpg
YYJZ0Kz.jpg
gB3sXAx.jpg
6OJ0GHm.jpg

I have a few more things to tidy up before lowpoly on the kid (also gotta due some furniture and silverware) but I figured it would be wise to post up my progress so far and get fresh eyes on everything before I get tunnel vision.

Replies

• MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Made some adjustments to the face, tweaked his brow a bit, gave him slightly smaller eye sockets and made his face less long. I think Im about ready to start retopology. Im probably going to do a quick bake test first though...

LmpZway.jpg
    VyOrgFf.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Been a while here's an update. Low is about 20k polys and
    bakes (AO, Normals, Cavity) are done too, rollin with 2 2k maps. All the skin is on one map and everything else is on the other. Eyes and hair have their own maps.
    2NZZqKX.jpg
    DLUkUZa.jpg

And here's some texturing progress, been focusing on skin and eyes so far. Everything else is just base color flats/polypaint.
    eWWcjdO.jpg
    PibOmli.jpg

I'll be baking eyebrows and eyelashes tomorrow.
  • Twotents
    Offline / Send Message
    Twotents polycounter lvl 4
    level of creepy intensifies.
  • Joost
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Creepy, but awesome! I think the creature could have thinner wrists though. The arms need more taper IMO.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    @Twotents- The creepier the better right?
    @komakc- Thanks that's a good point, when I swing back to the monster I'll add a bit more taper to the wrists and hands.
  • Greg DAlessandro
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
    what is the story behind the marks on his head?
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    When Im done it will be scar tissue. From the creatures gnawing on his scalp now and then :)

Here a hair update:
    fsOzv6x.jpg
    b9iKrlc.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Fixed up the skin and did some lighting tests.
    So far so good I think.

zVZUT8h.jpg
    chQZoDe.jpg
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    This is really twisted love it.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!

Here's another update. The clean pass on the skin and what not is done. I'll finalize the materials on the clothes and then do a filth/dirt pass on everything else.

hU4Jjwr.jpg
    CCGz012.jpg

Albedo, Gloss, Hair Alpha
    MLEH1Cr.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a bunch of adjustments. Hair and eyes were tweaked. Started dirtying his clothes and made some skin adjustments to his monster.

BlzofK3.jpg
    CF7o39Q.jpg
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Wowa dude creepy as fk, but great to see something original in terms of genre... not just another wizard/ sci-fi trooper etc.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I'm loving it, except for one thing. I'm really not liking the kids hair. It doesn't flow believably, it all seems to be sticking straight out. It's detracting a lot from an otherwise super cool character and soon-to-be scene.
  • ArtUnitFive
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtUnitFive polycounter lvl 2
    and here I am, fresh out of the shower, eating my breakfast and already terrified, nice work dude.
  • Caldria
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    Haha, charles man - that thing is suitably disgusting!

as for the kid's hair, I can see you're trying to go for that short buzzcut kinda thing right? using all those alpha shells to achieve that. I really think getting a good texture on his head for the hair will help support the alpha shells (I'm not sure they alone can do it)

great work man, looking forward to seeing more!
  • butt_sahib
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man

Everything looks scrumptious but i have to agree, the hair looks odd and kinda bringing the kids quality down for me honestly. Hope it works out in the end
  • Rolang
    Offline / Send Message
    Rolang interpolator
    Hi Charles! Maybe try combining multiple hair shells, that have different directions baked to them. So for example, if you have hair that is pointing to the left, add another layer of hair that points to the right, on that area. That way you might be able to make it look good in different camera angles. And sorry if this is totally stupid idea, I don't have any experience creating shell hair, but I think they did something like that in Shadow of the colossus.
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Hey buddy, cheers for this. There goes a decent night of sleep.

The Monster/creature is outstanding. Maybe you could add some variety to the scene with different shaped head. Just a thought.

As for the kid, by having a shorter buzz cut with patches of different length here and there may solve some problems. Try angling the hair in a slight direction to.

Other than that keep working away at it.
  • CactusFantastico
    Offline / Send Message
    CactusFantastico polycounter lvl 12
    Main crit on the monsters is that in the concept their head is much rounder and they also have less of a neck. Looking forward to seeing this progress though!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. Super appreciated. I tried to take all of your ideas and comments into account over the past week or so in regards to the hair. I scaled the UV's to get more of an actual flow to the hair. Then I tightened the UV's and the shell geo in the areas where the hair is supposed to be thinner to tone down the volume. This is about the 5th or 6th iteration. To be clear these are still the same shells and textures, just tweaked Uvs and geo.
    In regards to the monsters there will be color and proportional differences in the variants, when I get back to work on them.

Better? Worse? Go home you're drunk?
    F95wxTs.gif
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's todays progress on everything else.
    Added dirt/smudges to his face hands and legs. Worked more on the dirt and stains on the shirt and pants. I need to do a ton more but progress is progress.

aPHZQ7u.jpg
    lsD7n5z.jpg
    ND64xEU.jpg
  • Popolo
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    I'm really loving this, get both parts edward gorey/binding of isaac.
    There's two thing that I feel could be improved:
    The hair is looking really unnatural, theres no natural flow in there like [IMG]http://chairliftchatter.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/DSCN1221.jpg[/IMG The nails are looking "dirty", are you overlaying your AO on your diffuse? Besides that, soild work :)[/img]
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope no AO in the diffuse, Im sticking to a PBR work flow. The nails looking dirty was intentional. Does it look like overkill?
    As for the hair, I going to lay out alpha cards this week to get something more believable and put aside the alpha shells for now.
    Me being me I'll probably try and find another alpha shell based solution in a few months :)
    Thanks for the feedback!
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    MrHobo wrote: »
    The nails looking dirty was intentional. Does it look like overkill?
    Does seem a bit strong; possibly because the dirt seems uniform around the whole nail. It ideally would be dirtiest under the nail with less dirt around the quick.
  • Popolo
    Offline / Send Message
    Popolo polycounter lvl 5
    I think it's what Bek said and also the dirt in contrast with the rest of the hand, for instance:

here & here

Good luck with everything, cant wait too see this finished :) Will you create a scene like your ref image?
  • newto3d
    Every bit of this freaks me the F*k out..... Good job :)
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point Bek.
    Popolo thanks for the ref and yes the plan is definitely to make a little scene for everything.
    Thanks newto3d :)

Still plugging away at this Ive moved on to alpha planes. This is still super WIP (he's partially bald so i guess that is obvious) but I thought I would show where I am at with the new hair. When i have full coverage I will dial everything back and start adding thinner patches to show the scars. Right now there is no normals, spec, gloss, etc. just the raw alpha. Sooooooooooo much more to do.

P6UzrPr.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving extra sloooooooooowly.

pfKDGOl.jpg

Edit: forgot to post the more cohesive shot:
    ICczwLX.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    uuuuupate!!!!
    Almost done with the hair still have a bunch of small tweaks to make. and need to get it lookin ace from all sides. I will probably be swapping some UVs around to thin the hair out a bit more in certain places as well.
    I also made some adjustments to the skin gloss.

eBWvrnR.jpg
    whmlsjn.jpg
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    aghh this guys making me ich.. your definitely doing something right
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Im happy its giving you all the ick!
    Did some work on the hair silhouette and played with filters...
    Dont worry just playin. :)
    zVcVyjd.jpg
    aH1qngn.jpg

And for shits and giggles I turned off the eye stuff:
    bSF5qJP.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    one thing you could try is making sure the hair planes normals match the normals of the head mesh, it makes quite a bit of a difference:

Hair_CustomNormals.jpg?version=1&modificationDate=1397082805000&api=v2

this plugin for max can help with it:

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/normal-thief
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Gir! I did some googling and found out the same functionality is in Maya through Transfer Attributes. I'll give it a shot when i get back from work tonight.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    nice work here. Looking forward to seeing how that hair turns out. Its looking sooo much better then when you started working on it.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Spent today getting back to work on my boy and monsters project.
    I think the monsters are pretty much done at this point and the boy is almost done. Just a few more hair tweaks and fix his tie, then I can finally build the diorama scene for them. I'll be happy to finally wrap this up and move on.

Things I done did:
    I dropped all my spec maps just gloss and letting the shader do its work.
    Adjusted subsurface maps
    Adjusted hair and hair settings
    Lots itty bitty tweaks.

and now Images:
    TJNaeXR.jpg
    aii4i6W.jpg
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    It all looks absolutely fantastic, except for the hair; hair is super hard to get looking good. Have you looked much at how other people's texture maps for hair look?

Right now yours looks pretty monotone; sort of a flat tone of grey, and it looks very very thin and soft, in a way I've never seen human hair look. Human hair is actually pretty coarse and varried. I'd suggest maybe giving him parted hair, which will be easier to get looking good with conventional techniques than the current hairstyle.

The hair you have now is loads better than the hair you used to have, but it still isn't there compared with the rest of the work on this piece.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point Joopson. The hairs been a real struggle. I think the card placement itself is probably fine and it may be I need to repaint new alphas and textures. I'll take a look at some PBR hair flats (if anybody has any examples they know of let me know) and give it a few more passes before I decide to try a new hair style. Thanks again!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tonight's update:
    Its a small update but I pushed the gloss a bit more on the eye lids area and lips. Also thinking about dropping the hair all together and just texturing a buzzcut for him.. Im going to give it one more hard try before I do that though. Probably start the new hair attempt from scratch tomorrow.

00POkaN.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    New hair again. Tossed out all the old cards and textures and fixed his tie. Also trying out some gold embroidery stuff which i will most likely drop.
    Also thank Gir, i got the normal trick to work
    4jD2D1p.jpg
    rRZj8vu.jpg?1
  • Uberren
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 9
    Liking the new look a lot :)
    Keep it up.
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Made a book an evil looking book of magic yesterday for the kid. This is just the sculpt so far with some poly paint in Toolbag2, no lowpoly yet.

U5tig4W.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished the sculpting and tweaking and baked everything down. AO Cavity and Normals in Toolbag.
    I'll do the texturing tomorrow and give DDO another whirl as well as open the book up and get some interior pages going on in there.

s5aod8P.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Current book progress:
    Still need to do a lot of little things, its always a lot of little things hahaha
    zEvHjwY.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Update from last night:
    Pushed a lot of things but still need some tweaks and to add the tattoos (text on the back and decoratively), also closed the kids mouth. He's not rigged this was just to see what he looked like with a closed mouth.

ufYJ6fh.jpg
    U4ZVuaJ.jpg
  • fearian
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Wow this has come on leaps and bounds dude! I quite liked the idea of the gold stitching, and it matching the book. maybe a monogram on the collar?

Also that book is sick! no really, super gross :)
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Great suggestion! I think the monogram look will work weel, i'll give it a sot tonight.
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Damn, this is mental!
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Torch! Im headin in the right direction then :)
    Added the tattoos and adjusted the tarnish on the gold tonight.I may have overworked the scratches but they've grown on me, so they might be here to stay.
    Im also thinking about bringing the monsters the kid and the book together in one scene to start checking how they all look together. Probably try it this weekend.
    NyjBTYZ.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Interior pages from last night and tonights progress. I'll need to add a some normal information for it, wrinkled paper maybe:
    v8yGMGB.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tonight progress:
    Adjusted the gloss (again), albedo, and all the eye textures.
    A few more stray stands of hair and a sanity check on the gloss work then I think he's done. Oh and the monogram gold stitching too.
    I'll start blocking out the scene next week... Note to self look up 19th century operating theaters.
    5tb8BB0.jpg