Home General Discussion

Middle Earth: Shadows of Mordor

Replies

• SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Just finished the game, got 90% completing after 20 hours of gameplay. Solid 7/10 for gameplay, can't wait for the sequel that will improve on everything.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I already finished the game, and i'm now playing in the free mode game. I have the game 100% completed :)

If you play the game following the story, it's a very very short game with just 2 world areas (very small for my taste, and more riding on a caragor).

I wish i could play it with at least one friend. AC Unity will make the gameplay better for me (although it will be more of the same, a repetitive game like this one), but i will miss my beloved uruks and their heads flying hehehe.

BTW, the AI of this game is kinda stupid, it sucks. They should add more difficulty to the game or some difficulty modes, with stronger orcs, a wider angle of vision and some ears... (they don't hear anything!). I can kill an entire platoon of 20 orcs following a path in stealth mode. If you kill an orc, the one in front of you won't notice you killed his pal behind him lol. Chain killing...
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Thanks Monolith, I now have RSI XD Yesterday when I first played it I was kinda concerned how Assassin's Creedy + Batman-Esque it was, thinking it was just those games with an LOTR skin, but couldn't put it down and pretty much sessioned it all day today! Looking forward to any expansions that will be offered later on. SoM, Evil Within and Lords of the Fallen are making October a good month :)
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Torch wrote: »
    concerned how Assassin's Creedy + Batman-Esque it was, thinking it was just those games with an LOTR skin,
    Funny thing is that there are reports that Shadow of Mordor was initially a Dark Knight Rises game back in 2012. Devs had also a Hobbit game in development, and looks like at some point they decided to just merge these two games
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    still hanging out to play this, I have heard great things about this one.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I stayed up until 7am this morning playing this game. I have 0 of the gripes that have been previously mentioned before. Needless to say, I love the game more than sleep.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Completed today, about 90% completion I think, just some stuff to finish off! A few things that I think could've been better (mainly points on story and progression) but I'll wait a while to mention them as its only been out a short while XD Character art is amazing though, environments were great as well. All in all I'd give it an 8/9 out of 10, pretty awesome :)
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Whyyyy! Australia blows, we still don't get this until Wednesday on console.

Even though I hate playing games on my PC and I nearly caved to jump into this dude. Instead I finally caved to grab Destiny on PS4 instead and spent my Sunday looking at a loading bar.
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    Kurt:
    Not too mention we get the joyous Australia tax to boot on Steam.
    The game went from US$72, down to US$49 back up to US$66 in a few days...yelp.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I know its still early days, but have they announced any info about the season pass/upcoming DLC? Guessing they'll be adding new missions, runes, etc.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    mhm played it for a couple of hours, most of the core-gameplay is pretty cool.

i have quite a view problems with the game though:
    first of the story starts out really weak and provided no motivation for me to keep playing.
    the main antagonist disappears after the intro never to be seen again, and you are stalking around in a barren land basically fighting for nothing since you cannot even die and all the orcs you kill get replaced by random new ones, as get the faceless slaves you free.

progression is not realy existant since you always look the same, carry the same weapons, outfit and have all the basic combat and sneaking options from the getgo.
    all the stuff you unlock just makes everything a little easier but doesn't change the way you play the game.

also the main character couldn't be more faceless, characterless and boring.

i enjoyed my time playing, but im probably not going to finish it.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Really? I thought the story and skill system was pretty strong, liked it a lot. Personally I would have preferred more of a narrative driven game in the vein of Dragon Age, stuff like that. The upgrade system I thought was good though making you feel stronger with progressing, flame arrows ftw!

I think you have a fair point with the main character though, I just preferred the other characters like Torvin, the Uruks were also really well done.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Indeed, the story is not great, not enough motivating (like with all the Assassin's Creed). But with these kind of games, i forget about the story and i focus on killing until i unlock all. I'm happy they didn't opt for a game like Dragon Age, because i love to freely run in a world and do whatever i want. The story should be adapted to the player.

I have had the feeling of playing a koreano mmorpg instead of an occidental game hehe. There's too much grinding in order to get all.

The main motivation of this game is on the rune system, at least for me. You MUST menace all the captains/warchiefs in order to get the epic runes. Once you have your sword, bow and dagger with all the fancy epic runes, you are GOD in this game (later, you stop playing). In the first 2 hours of game, i killed 5 captains all together, i was annoyed to see how easy was all. Orcs are really really stupid.

There are some skills that are unlocked via quests, but the story is ridiculous, and without any interest at all. Those are missions we complete in minutes and are just a few, so you can unlock all without pay attention to the story (that it's just a poor excuse to kill orcs, for the sake of decapitating/beheading heads non stop).

This game is all about a gore festival, nothing more. I would have liked to see the orc blood not like petrol but red. And not only decapitated heads, but ripped hands, legs, etc. Also, a more variety of killing combos, there are just a few ones, very very repetitive. The same happens with the uruk soldiers, there are a few different types, but all of them have zero variations.

I have already killed the same warchief 6 times. the unique thing that changes is the name. The randomness feature of the nemesis system is not so random :).

Anyways, this is the game with the best combat mixture nowadays, AC+BATMAN. It works very well, but like i said, it lacks of a wider variety of killing combos.

But well... i already have the season pass, so i expect CHANGES, and of course more content.

In kinguin.es you can purchase steam keys at a fair price.
  • kneedeepinthedoomed
    I seem to be the only one who doesn't like decapitations in slow-mo. I find this kind of stuff to be bad taste and I don't feel rewarded by it, rather put off. I dislike this in other games too, such as Ryse. Have we become that desensitized to violence?

This also doesn't remind me of the LOTR books or movies in any way. Those had fighting, but they were far from a gore-feast.

A game like "The Hunt For Gollum" (the fan movie) would be more up my alley.

Just an honest opinion. I respect the work that went into this, and it seems to have some cool game mechanics, but the core gameplay (brutal hack and slash) isn't attractive to me.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Blaizer wrote: »
    In kinguin.es you can purchase steam keys at a fair price.

I don't support shady steam key resellers
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I don't support shady steam key resellers

They aren't shady, it's a famous site with some of the best prices on the internet. My brother bought his copy there, the premium edition (standard edition + season pass). He received the key instantly :).

What i don't support are retail stores that can be considered like "stealers". Steam is one of them that sells you the game at 50€, when you can purchase the game plus season pass for much less.

But as always, do whatever you want :).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do they buy keys from users and resell them? Then chances are they support a huge key scamming/stealing black market. It hurts independent developers the most.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    They sell the keys as Green Man Gaming, but much cheaper. There are some german shops much cheaper, but they ask you your NIF/Passport to avoid frauds.

For me, they are like the Amazon of Keys (Steam, Origin, Uplay).
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    German Court: Key Selling infringes Copyright

Looks like you won't have to be jealous of cheap German keys for much longer
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Professional Starcraft 2 player give his opinion on the Shadows of Mordor combat:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AV9W2ZdmjU"]The combat in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor is terrible - YouTube[/ame]

Surprised it's that easy. In the Batman games spamming jump could still get you hit as enemies could attack you mid QTE.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    German Court: Key Selling infringes Copyright

Looks like you won't have to be jealous of cheap German keys for much longer

That won't affect the legit retailers that are still selling their keys as Green man Gaming. See: http://gk4.me They operate in the UE, and they are still selling games as pancakes :).

If you want to be more jealous, there are russian retailer ten times much cheapers, but you need a vpn to activate the game.

Or, if you read some gaming forums, you can easily see people buying games in India, Brazil, or Russia, etc. They buy games priced at more than 60€ without season or premium content for less than 12€ and with the season or premium content included :). That's the price of sale after a year or more.

When the dollar was very very weak, i bought my steam games in amazon.com. I paid a 50% less :). If the people can do the same in other countries, they will do the same. In fact, they are doing it massively in online retailer shops like http://www.nuuvem.com.br/.

Gamasutra should make a better article :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steam takes a 30% cut, so when you buy Shadows of Mordor they get $14.997 and WB gets $34.993. I'm fine with a retailer cutting into their own profits to offer a deal but exploiting different markets to get them as cheap as possible for customers in wealthy countries isn't sustainable. But I'm not going to argue, you're just being Blaizer.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I agree with Meisse, these grey market keys were originally intended for countries that game developers have to lower prices for in order to sell games. I'm fine if you are in the USA and buy a key for the UK or Australia. But you are buying keys intended for countries that spend a lot less on games.
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Steam takes a 30% cut, so when you buy Shadows of Mordor they get $14.997 and WB gets $34.993. I'm fine with a retailer cutting into their own profits to offer a deal but exploiting different markets to get them as cheap as possible for customers in wealthy countries isn't sustainable.

Your view of "exploiting" is unbiased, like almost all your views in several discussions i've read from you. 1st, because these retailers i pointed you are from the UE, they are legit. But you seem not to understand that there are cheaper choices to buy games instead of steam, so you end like an ignorant.

But I'm not going to argue, you're just being Blaizer.

With your last sentence it's like you had something against me and you sound like a total jerk (no offense), do you have a problem or any grudge against me? or what?. Maybe you are jealous because i buy the games cheaper? That sentence is pretty harsh and totally out of context. I don't like to put myself on the same level as you, but i will do an exception and i will say: "omg, it can't be helped, he's just being "Justin Meisse".

Zacd, if you think this is a grey market, i invite you to give a call at Green Man Gaming. They just sell keys as the other retailers in the EU. If i buy my copy with a 50% of discount, there should not be a problem. In a few months the game will be on sale for 4,99€ or less, like Batman Origins. And don't forget this: i bought the game in the EU, ROW version (there's a german version for your info, due to their censorship).

Ah, better, just claim how horrible are in amazon for selling the game for 32€ in pre-order when the game is priced on steam at 50€+20€ season pass.

Your point of view is ridiculous, a nonsense, seriously. Don't blame me for buying games with a fair price, blame those who pirate the game.

Grey market? my balls...
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    $60 is a fair price for this game. its been worth every penny so far. just sayin. im wondering if any of the dlc is actually worth it though?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer wrote: »
    Maybe you are jealous because i buy the games cheaper?.

That's the second time you said that, I don't think you really understand what I'm talking about.

Of coarse I have a problem with you, you're default response to any argument is to call someone an idiot or something to that fact. How about we just drop this whole conversation and just return to the discussion of the game?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    That's the second time you said that, I don't think you really understand what I'm talking about.

I said things very clear and it wasn't the second time, but if you come now with that, then i will never understand you because you always reply in a mock way, with too much cynicism and ironies.

I don't care about that 30% of steam if you wanted to mean that. The retailers i linked you have a very fair price for the game, but you ignore that fact on purpose. We live in the european union, so we have different prices and a huge variety of choices as online retailers.

Like i said you, the keys sold are like the ones sold at GMG. WB gives them the keys and they put their prices, give or take.

I wonder if you bought the game now... You have started a huge drama because i posted a link to an online retailer, and i'm thinking you just want to start a flame with me. I'm starting to find you very irritating.

If you didn't buy the game, buy it and burn all that rage killing orcs, not on me :)
    Of coarse I have a problem with you, you're default response to any argument is to call someone an idiot or something to that fact.

Seriously, you have a serious problem of understanding, i didn't used the word "idiot" in the whole thread. You must been blind due to hatred towards me, you are very resentful and i don't know why but i figure it with each bad word you write.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    So yeah, the game.

I can't get over how enriching the nemesis system is to the whole game experience. I almost feel like the story was added on after they implemented the system. So many interesting encounters, hilarious experiences, infuriating sometimes but enriching still.

I'd love to see a game take the nemesis system a step further, like if you die you come back as a different person with a certain set of abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Maybe even randomly assigned, but balanced.

I dunno, just trying to change the topic back to the game experience.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Makkon wrote: »
    So yeah, the game.

I can't get over how enriching the nemesis system is to the whole game experience. I almost feel like the story was added on after they implemented the system. So many interesting encounters, hilarious experiences, infuriating sometimes but enriching still.

I'd love to see a game take the nemesis system a step further, like if you die you come back as a different person with a certain set of abilities, strengths and weaknesses. Maybe even randomly assigned, but balanced.

I dunno, just trying to change the topic back to the game experience.

Had the same thoughts, like building a roguelike around the nemesis system where when you died your offspring would want to seek revenge and take out the people that killed your parent, and your nemesis would also age and have children.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I love that idea. Maybe you could still have some influence on what abilities your offspring could have, as your playstyle strengths become become family tradition. Even weapons are handed down from generation to generation like heirlooms. Maybe sometimes it's offspring, sometimes it's brothers or sisters that seek vengeance, just depends on the timeline or the events, or maybe you have a pool of characters to chose at any time within your family circle with different weapons and abilities. I guess the only way to really lose the game is if your whole family is killed off.
    I'd probably want the gameplay to be more focused on the one-on-one encounters, or small groups. In Shadow of Mordor, the encounters with just the warchiefs and their bodyguards when they weren't surrounded by a horde of uruk was so much easier to focus on, and I felt the encounters were more memorable because it was about that nemesis, his fighting style, and personality. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the combat mechanics of SoM, but I'd love to have mechanics more focused on duels.

I'm picturing a very barbarian/tribal theme for a roguelike game like that. Sure is fun to think about. I might even draw some concepts when I have some time. :)
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    I love that idea. Maybe you could still have some influence on what abilities your offspring could have, as your playstyle strengths become become family tradition. Even weapons are handed down from generation to generation like heirlooms. Maybe sometimes it's offspring, sometimes it's brothers or sisters that seek vengeance, just depends on the timeline or the events, or maybe you have a pool of characters to chose at any time within your family circle with different weapons and abilities. I guess the only way to really lose the game is if your whole family is killed off.
    I'd probably want the gameplay to be more focused on the one-on-one encounters, or small groups. In Shadow of Mordor, the encounters with just the warchiefs and their bodyguards when they weren't surrounded by a horde of uruk was so much easier to focus on, and I felt the encounters were more memorable because it was about that nemesis, his fighting style, and personality. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the combat mechanics of SoM, but I'd love to have mechanics more focused on duels.

I'm picturing a very barbarian/tribal theme for a roguelike game like that. Sure is fun to think about. I might even draw some concepts when I have some time. :)

http://blog.massivechalice.com/
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Eh, close but not really the experience I was talking about. Still looks like a cool game, though.
    I'm more interested in great fighting mechanics and a refined nemesis system like in SoM.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Yep the nemesis system is a nice touch. It's also cool to be able to find out the enemy's weaknesses and exploit them! Kinda amusing when a captain has a vulnerability to stealth, so you can just drop and stealth kill from above, like "GG, bye" :D
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18

I think crusader kings 2 comes the closest with all its character interactions but the potential to switch genres to something with more action is where the goal would be.

Uruks seems to become vengence targets after you die but I never feel any anger towards the character since I never lost anything. Having you experience the loss of a tribes member to your nemesis would be permanent but not game over, but it suddenly becomes way more personal!
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    So Dark Souls combat with Nemesis and a Skyrim size world. Who do I give money to for this?
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    So far its been great. I am about 6 hours in and have done pretty much none of the main quest stuff. I just go around and do random side missions to level up and kill captains. It is starting got get easy, though if you are not careful and don't pick off archers beforehand they can do decent damage and you have to retreat/hide.
    As people said nemesis system is great. More games should implement that.
    I do want to say whoever did the animation system and animations themselves need a pat on their back. They are absolutely amazing, so satisfying and...."meaty".
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    martinszeme: I agree, the animations are very satisfying, from the finishing blow to the sheathing of the sword. If feels amazing. I especially like that the character doesn't have a "fight shuffle" animation, but more of a badass standing stance. When I killed my first orc, I knew this was a game I always wanted.

eld; Marine: Yeah, more action would be the goal, emphasis on combat. And I love the fact that it would be personal, and revenge would mean something because something, or someone, is actually being taken away. Not so kean on Dark Souls combat, from what I played I did not have a good time with those mechanics, but maybe a combination of the very same Batman Arkham combat but with more move combinations to get around defenses and strategize, and Overgrowth active-ragdoll and damage system? I dunno, I just love me some procedural animation, and a proper gore system would be amazing.

Haha, maybe if you lose an arm in a battle, even that's permanent? Lose an eye, and you wear a patch. There is gradual loss to your character, and the encounters you have in a way shape who they are.
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Put around 28 hours In so far and still haven't finished it. I've mainly been doing a lot of the side stuff and still lot's to do.

I was pretty dubious going into this, even though Monolith are pretty much my favorite dev, licensed games don't always come out like this. Needless to say it the game is amazing and probably my GOTY.

First of the Nemesis is amazing and we need this in more games, the way you can tackle the Warchiefs the way you want is great, indirect or directly.
    The way Urks remember you from a previous encounter, and will make threats about it is a real nice touch.

Next is the animations and combat, it's superb and I enjoy it better than Arkhams of which it looks based on.
    The animation tech is also above what I've seen in any other game, the animations are soo smooth, blend seamlessly, the way Talon climbs and his arms and feet are always planted, the IK system, all comes together in probably the best implementation I've seen in a game.

It also looks great as well, lighting is nice and contrasty. Also probably one of the first games to have nice dynamic lighting that doesn't fade out after a few feet, same with the vegetation, playing on PC I see almost no LOD popping or shadows fading. Draw distances are pretty good too.

Story wasn't all that interesting, but I don't think that bothers me In a game like this. Nolan North isn't all that bad either, which I normally don't care for him since he must be in 90% of today's games.