Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Sorcerer WIP Thread.

Dave Jr
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,

Been working on this in my spare time for quite a while, and now I've got more time thought I'd like to concentrate on it fully and get it finished. It'll hopefully be a nice portfolio piece. I've blocked the majority of it out but really need you guys to help crit and help me push it as far as I can possibly go :)

I'd love to eventually reach a level in a piece of work that so many of you do and inspire me with in the recaps.

LATEST UPDATE:

(more images to follow)

Concepts that inspired me for this piece:

I think I'm going to produce something similar, but hopefully with my own touches here and there rather then recreate the concept 100%.

Latest Update:

Eqm715b.jpg

5u3PAUd.jpg

Crits appreciated :)

Replies

• Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Reserved for next update.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
  • NurmanZh
    Offline / Send Message
    NurmanZh polycounter lvl 10
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    the detail on that corset is crazy! is it alphas?
  • tierzilla
    Offline / Send Message
    tierzilla polycounter lvl 9
    hey Dave looking good , some crits >
    The corset looks like it has a bit too much information, i suggest to add some forms to the trousers rigth now is too smooth..adding a stich or it migth help pulling up the boots..
    just suggestions and things i see
    keep it up! loving it so far!
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    NurmanZh

Thanks much appreciated! Still a long way from where I'd like it to be though!

oxblood

The lace is fully modelled :) took me a while but I combined a few different processes I had learned for hard surface modelling in zbrush; A few people in Skype/hangouts asked so I did a quick writeup; (Sorry its not too neat!)

aHi2ZIz.jpg

tierzilla

Crits much appreciated!, I think it'll less noisey when its painted; but yeah your definitely right about the forms on the trousers and the boots; I'm thinking of adding some seam information on the trousers to help the transition and block in some more crease detail on the boots.

Thanks so far for the likes/crits its much appreciated! Keep em coming!
  • oxblood
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    ohh nice write up dude.. really clear.. keep going man :)
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Been following your progress on PC skype chat, good going Dave!
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind comments! Will post new update soon, currently working on the belt with the torn rag :)
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a really bad day :3 But needed to get back on the horse and bump this for crits!!
  • DWalker
    She's certainly a more realistic and less trampy character than is the norm, except for the heels. Girls really don't need to be standing on their tippy-toes to be sexy, and there's no way she'd be running through the forest or delving into a dungeon in those. Try a reasonable 2 or 3 inch heel; she'd still be sexy, but she could actually move around.

The fold at the top of the boot could use some detailing. It's usually split to make folding easier. Some decorative tooling might be appropriate, depending on the type & material of the boot.
    Oct+7+C.JPG
    The bunching of her pants at the top of the boots seems rather excessive.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    DWalker wrote: »
    She's certainly a more realistic and less trampy character than is the norm, except for the heels. Girls really don't need to be standing on their tippy-toes to be sexy, and there's no way she'd be running through the forest or delving into a dungeon in those. Try a reasonable 2 or 3 inch heel; she'd still be sexy, but she could actually move around.

The fold at the top of the boot could use some detailing. It's usually split to make folding easier. Some decorative tooling might be appropriate, depending on the type & material of the boot.
    Oct+7+C.JPG
    The bunching of her pants at the top of the boots seems rather excessive.

Cheers for the crits dwalker; there was something off with the top fold on the boots and I couldn't quite place what, you've cleared it up for me thanks!

I'll reduce the heel size and improve on the folds :), and yeah I was going for a more realistic approach :D Thanks!!

Crits very much appreciated :D
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Will update this tomorrow with some new image updates; and for those that asked - higher res images; but for now; shameful bump for more crits :D
  • AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Not a fan of the shoes but more importantly, her feet are absolutely enormous
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Not a fan of the shoes but more importantly, her feet are absolutely enormous

Will definitely look into the proportions of her feet, I thought they weren't too far off but well see ;)

If you have any suggestions for boots im all for it! I'm lacking on inspiration atm for the bottom half and may well add some leg armour

Again please crit guys/gals I need to improve ;D
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Dave Jr wrote: »
    NurmanZh

Thanks much appreciated! Still a long way from where I'd like it to be though!

oxblood

The lace is fully modelled :) took me a while but I combined a few different processes I had learned for hard surface modelling in zbrush; A few people in Skype/hangouts asked so I did a quick writeup; (Sorry its not too neat!)

aHi2ZIz.jpg

tierzilla

Crits much appreciated!, I think it'll less noisey when its painted; but yeah your definitely right about the forms on the trousers and the boots; I'm thinking of adding some seam information on the trousers to help the transition and block in some more crease detail on the boots.

Thanks so far for the likes/crits its much appreciated! Keep em coming!

Hey Dave, I was wondering if you couldn't just import the image ref as alpha and use the "mask by alpha" button instead of having to use spotlight. Could it work ?

Nice work btw. I agree about the feet, they are really long ( had the same problem with a character some time ago ), and the style of the boots doesn't really match the outfit. Those bones say "necromancer" more than "sorceress", now it's not a bad thing , you could make an entire outfit like that, or change just the boots. I think something a bit more ornate, like the corset, would be nice.
  • Magihat
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    I don't know how useful this will be since I'm a noob at this too but here are some things I noticed.

Vd6eWA1.jpg

There seems to be some problems with the arches, mostly contributed by how elongated the feet are.
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion wrote: »
    Hey Dave, I was wondering if you couldn't just import the image ref as alpha and use the "mask by alpha" button instead of having to use spotlight. Could it work ?

Nice work btw. I agree about the feet, they are really long ( had the same problem with a character some time ago ), and the style of the boots doesn't really match the outfit. Those bones say "necromancer" more than "sorceress", now it's not a bad thing , you could make an entire outfit like that, or change just the boots. I think something a bit more ornate, like the corset, would be nice.

Definitely agree about the boots; not feeling it matches the outfit at all; will have to gather reference I think; theyre just too bland, too high and now I see it; too long!

Yes I believe alpha would work aswell; but probably not as good as it references the black/white values, should something not be completely black its a different opacity and won't get picked up very well. It doesn't sound very important but when panelling to add a thickness if any of your lines are even remotely thin it makes them fiddly, warped and quite unusable.

Cheers for the crit!!
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat wrote: »
    I don't know how useful this will be since I'm a noob at this too but here are some things I noticed.

Vd6eWA1.jpg

There seems to be some problems with the arches, mostly contributed by how elongated the feet are.

Sole units come in all shapes and sizes, but yeh I definitely agree here; I think I'm going to redo all the shoe/boot in general;

Its too high, not blending with the overall theme very well and like you pointed out how some realistic issues of how it works.

Thanks for pointing that out I'll make sure to use that reference on my new one :)

Cheers for the crit!
  • disanski
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Awesome work so far man. Thanks for sharing how you made her top.
    I see that you will be reworking the boots but it might be worth it reworking the leg itself before you make the boots on top of it- it feels too straight and thick to me.
    Check how there is a lot of curvature on the inside of the leg compared to yours:
    link
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski wrote: »
    Awesome work so far man. Thanks for sharing how you made her top.
    I see that you will be reworking the boots as but it might be worth it reworking the leg itself before you make the boots on top of it- it feels too straight and thick to me.
    Check how there is a lot of curvature on the inside of the leg compared to yours:
    link

Cheers for that link! I think I need to exaggerate those curves on her inside leg; it's not far off but its been totally lost when I've added trousers ontop.

Will definitely pursue it! cheers means a lot!
  • Dave Jr
    Offline / Send Message
    Shamless bump - if anyone can share some ideas for new boots that would be appreciated :D
  • Texelion
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    You shouldn't bump like that, you're just pushing the other threads down for no reason ^^ ( I know it wasn't on purpose ).

Anyway, I found some boots to inspire you :

sorcerer_by_mineworker-d419rs1.jpg

basic_by_alexnegrea-d6gawy6.jpg