Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

RO Substance Tests

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
rogelio greentooth

UPDATE : Nodes have been added to Gumroad

I added a folder structure this time with a project configuration hope it works out. 

I only did this for the guys asking for this.  Honestly I am rather shamed by these nodes while some are okish most are pretty bad.  But that is ok.  If you all find use for them good for you

Note: Cavity Chips works using the peaks and or valleys.  One of those old things I should have made proper.  If time permits ill try to do some actual clean up on these, but honestly I would just name them different anyways.

https://gumroad.com/products/vlGVR/edit#share

Substance nodes

-RO AO-

This is a new AO node that mimicks the ouputs of AO maps in X-normal from a flat texture standpoint. This is an expensive node
and highly editable for different results. The base settings should be alright for most textures.

-RO Overlay Grayscale-

This the same just optimized for gray scale use. I like having a grayscale version of every tool since it makes it easier to make graphs it
also makes sense to clean my workflow as I go. I created this based on the allegorithmic version for my personal use.
I tested it and it is slightly less expensive than version inside substance.

-RO Cavity Better-

I called it Cavity since more people understand that term than curvature, but it is a curvature map maker. Using a tangent space normal
map it outputs a cavity with several options and outputs such as peaks and valleys. The current Curvature map in substance designer
creates a lot of micro noise which is horrible for composting onto of color or base textures with. I created this version to reduce the
noise and get a cleaner output than the ordinal version. This node is more expensive than the substance native curvature node, but It is
still pretty optimized and has more options.

-RO Dirt Position-

This node creates dirt based on the worldspace/position of the asset. Very helpful for dust, sun bleaching, and many others.

-Ro Dirt Position Streaks-

This node creates streaks/leaks like water stains or grunge based on the worldspace/position. works well for rain or grunge dirt marks.

-RO Dirt Cavity grease-

This node creates grease with cavity included you can get different grunge like results with the properties.

-RO Cavity Chips-

This node creates paint like chips for areas with cavity. Use Cavity Peaks or Valleys if you use cavity raw it will not work.

-RO Dirt Cavity Streaks-

This node creates streaks based where the cavity starts this works well for detailed leaks based on cavity peeks or valleys.

-RO Position

-this node is a helper node for using on tile able textures to have the function of direction based streaks or grunge. If your making a unique asset use the baked out position if your using a tile able texture you can use a black and white gradient or this position node to plug in into position.

I did tweak some of the nodes like Cavity and AO slightly so if you were using the old ones please know that it may change your output look and tweak accordingly.

sub_aojpg

RO Cavity

This cavity node has three outputs

Cavity = everything blended together
Peaks = the top usually white point of the cavity
valleys= the dark points of the cavity

It comes with several slider groups

Noise Reduction

blur out the noise or bringing it in. sometimes you want a bit of noise in your cavity but now you can choose for a clean or noisy feel. Also comes with opacity slider for further tweaking.

Peaks

position and contrast together work like a ramp to thin out the line or deepen it.
It has an opacity slider also.

Valleys

position and contrast together work like a ramp to thin out the line or deepen it.

Normal influence opacity

This is not really part of a true cavity but you can decide to use it. it is basically the blue channel of the normal multiplied onto of everything to give it more form.

Another tool added into the download is

Overlay Grayscale

Substance designer already has a overlay but it uses rgb. I made this version out of the substance designer one and optimized it without breaking the actual function of it, it is slightly cheaper and the end all it does is keep my graphs clean with less rgb to grayscale conversions etc. The function is the same just used for grayscale images. So since the cavity graph uses it needs to be included.

The installation is pretty easy just unzip the files onto the Substance Designer\resources\packages to view and use these nodes. This is the first time I am trying it on other machines so I am curious if it will work as I think it should D I have the steam version which makes the directory different for everyone...

I guess we will see if it works out.

These are not my texture these are from the awesome and talented artist at GameTextures.com ill use them for testing reasons to make these nodes and some of my own textures also.

sub_cavityjpgw1200

Replies

• Stormfreek
    This is gonna be awesome :) Can't wait dude!
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Eager to see what will come out of this :)
  • gutty333
    Excited to see this progress. Also very nice of you to release some downloads (once available), will be helpful to reverse engineer/study the work from an awesome artist as yourself, cant wait.
  • luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Caaaan't friggin wait to see what you do man. Also excited to see how you get optimize everything.
  • tharle
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    looking forward to see what you come up with - i picked up a substance designer licence last christmas but really havent had a chance to play with it yet
  • Sean VanGorder
    Awesome! Looking forward to this. I've been using Substance for a few months now and I love it. Need to find some time to play around with SD 4 now.
  • Sugus
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Deffinately will keep an eye on this, SD 4 has deffinately caught my eye but I can't afford it at the moment! grr
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Subscribed! Looking forward to this. Substance definitely is getting some traction.
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Suscribed. Never used Substance yet so I can't wait to see what's going to happen here :o
  • shinobix
    Offline / Send Message
    shinobix polycounter lvl 16
    dude... Substance... never heard of it. Thank you for bringing this tool to light for me!!!
  • Guedin
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    That's gonna be a really interesting thread, I've been playing with substance for a while and I would love to see new workflows :D
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Download

Substance Tools

Tiny Update

I decided to remake the curvature map inside substance designer. The substance designer curvature node map filter comes with a noise issue that was just not great for composting on top of base colors. Especially on clean meshes like the robot low poly I was having aliasing issues on the gradients of the normals where it would create micro facets so I made this node to clean that up.

This cavity node has three outputs

Cavity = everything blended together
    Peaks = the top usually white point of the cavity
    valleys= the dark points of the cavity

It comes with several slider groups

Noise Reduction

blur out the noise or bringing it in. sometimes you want a bit of noise in your cavity but now you can choose for a clean or noisy feel. Also comes with opacity slider for further tweaking.

Peaks

Valleys

Normal influence opacity

This is not really part of a true cavity but you can decide to use it. it is basically the blue channel of the normal multiplied onto of everything to give it more form.

Another tool added into the download is

Overlay Grayscale

Substance designer already has a overlay but it uses rgb. I made this version out of the substance designer one and optimized it without breaking the actual function of it, it is slightly cheaper and the end all it does is keep my graphs clean with less rgb to grayscale conversions etc. The function is the same just used for grayscale images. So since the cavity graph uses it needs to be included. :)

The sample normal map samples below are from GameTextures.com free textures. I will keep on using those as samples from time to time :)

The installation is pretty easy just unzip the files onto the c: / and make sure to link it to the root substance_tools directory in substance designer to view these graphs and use them. This is the first time I am trying it on other machines so i am curious if it will work as I think it should :D I have the steam version which makes the directory different for everyone so I figured I would just put it on c: /etc

I guess we will see if it works out.

again I want to repeat these are not my texture these are from the awesome and talented artist at GameTextures.com

sub_cavity.jpg?w=1200

Like I said this is going to be sort of slow going. Mostly just putting things together, It is actually kind of cool since I am forced to recreate things again and I am quickly finding more efficient ways of doing stuff.

Thanks for the comments so far.

The robot is all uved and normal mapped ill package that guy in soon.
  • luthyn
    Offline / Send Message
    luthyn polycounter lvl 8
    Props on the greyscale overlay optimization, really cool. Have you had a chance to look into recreating any of the noise nodes more efficient via the FX node? Mostly the noises that have other noise nodes embedded in them ( if that makes sense ). I was looking at that for a minute but I've had to move onto other stuff for the time being. Though you're really making me want to come back to Substance :). Keep up the awesome work man!
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Happy Xmas everyone !

NOTE: If you downloaded the previous files please delete those and add these to the correct directory thanks :)
    these now use the substance folders.

Download

Substance Tools

Updated where the files go in. Now all files go in into the basic substance directory unzip contents into Substance Designer\resources\packages and all should work well.

and files are named RO_etc also for ease of finding in substance

-RO AO

-RO Cavity

-RO Overlay Grayscale

The download comes with the previous Cavity, and Overlay but now I added an AO node.

This AO node was made specifically for tileable texture use I do not expect this to be used on unique baked models. I looks close to a x-normal ao bake on flat AOs on a settings which I use for my flat AO bakes.

this node comes with many properties to change the look. In general the prebaked in properties should be good for most tileable AO maps and you can tweak the properties to get a better look by individually tweaking stuff in or out.

Note: it is easy to messup the AO map with the properties so be careful. Also the height map that gets inputted makes a difference. at times the height maps might have too much darkened areas It might be suggested to tweak the dark spots into a dark gray before inputting in.

The sample normal map samples and heights used below are from GameTextures.com free textures. I will keep on using those as samples from time to time :)

The middle texture dirt looking one is mine :)

sub_ao.jpg

luthyn: I have not looked into that myself but I know of someone who has. I have used FX for some bits but I am still kind of new to those myself. I know the bare basics of them. I will look into more for sure.
  • Guedin
    Offline / Send Message
    Guedin polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for sharing your work Rogelio, it'll be useful ;)
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Fix Download

Small fix. AO and Cavity were not showing in the library the only way to find it was searching it. It was just bad tagging on my part and Filters actually being Filter.

Seen the files have been downloaded several times let me know what you all think. :)
  • chrisavigni
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Subscribed! Tks!
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Started working on a couple dirt nodes. I want to hold off from releasing one by one since I kind of want to make it a package thing. So this is kind of a tease. The awesome thing about these nodes is that at any time I can change the direction of the influence flow, so for example on the ball I can move the streak or dirt direction in any direction I want and it conform to the shape.

I am taking inspiration from stuff I see artist do to add grim dirt but making it fully procedural. Again some base textures like normal and height are from gametextures.com I am using them as a testing base for these filters.

sub_teaser.jpg
  • Xazas
    Offline / Send Message
    Xazas polycounter lvl 7
    This looks absolutely fabulos! And you are going to release it to the community? Seems like Christmas happens twice this year...
  • chrisavigni
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    Wow! This is awesome. Substance is such an amazing application and your nodes are going to be a great addition! Looking forward!
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Xazas wrote: »
    This looks absolutely fabulos! And you are going to release it to the community? Seems like Christmas happens twice this year...

Yep I will release these as soon as I get a few more done. So far I only have a

-worldspace/position dirt with position controls

-Cavity Dirt streaks with position controls - The ones on the screenshots

The other ones should be far easier to make so not too long for the wait.
  • CloDevious
    I really need to play with this program more, I bought it like a year ago with the whole future upgrade thing. Just have not found the time to actually sit down and hammer away at it......

Really awesome work so far!
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Quick Video of what I am working on with the topology map based dirt masks. Enjoy :)

Still tweaking making sure these make sense and are functional in many different usages.

https://vimeo.com/85016170

[vv]85016170[/vv]
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Substance Dirt Masks and tools

Download

Substance nodes

-RO AO-

This is a new AO node that mimicks the ouputs of AO maps in X-normal from a flat texture standpoint. This is an expensive node
    and highly editable for different results. The base settings should be alright for most textures.

-RO Overlay Grayscale-

This the same just optimized for gray scale use. I like having a grayscale version of every tool since it makes it easier to make graphs it
    also makes sense to clean my workflow as I go. I created this based on the allegorithmic version for my personal use.
    I tested it and it is slightly less expensive than version inside substance.

-RO Cavity Better-

I called it Cavity since more people understand that term than curvature, but it is a curvature map maker. Using a tangent space normal
    map it outputs a cavity with several options and outputs such as peaks and valleys. The current Curvature map in substance designer
    creates a lot of micro noise which is horrible for composting onto of color or base textures with. I created this version to reduce the
    noise and get a cleaner output than the ordinal version. This node is more expensive than the substance native curvature node, but It is
    still pretty optimized and has more options.

-RO Dirt Position-

This node creates dirt based on the worldspace/position of the asset. Very helpful for dust, sun bleaching, and many others.

-Ro Dirt Position Streaks-

This node creates streaks/leaks like water stains or grunge based on the worldspace/position. works well for rain or grunge dirt marks.

-RO Dirt Cavity grease-

This node creates grease with cavity included you can get different grunge like results with the properties.

-RO Cavity Chips-

This node creates paint like chips for areas with cavity.

-RO Dirt Cavity Streaks-

This node creates streaks based where the cavity starts this works well for detailed leaks based on cavity peeks or valleys.

-RO Position

-this node is a helper node for using on tile able textures to have the function of direction based streaks or grunge. If your making a unique asset use the baked out position if your using a tile able texture you can use a black and white gradient or this position node to plug in into position.

This video below shows the masks in action. This nodes work with tile able textures and unique bakes.

I did tweak some of the nodes like Cavity and AO slightly so if you were using the old ones please know that it may change your output look and tweak accordingly.

Enjoy :)

https://vimeo.com/85016170

[vv]85016170[/vv]

Next plans Ill actually make a project to show these all off and record the steps as I go I will most likely make some kind of techdoor or something that would take too long to hand create dirt and wear by hand so some kind of complex hardsurface sample mostly environment style.
  • Dancuka
    Offline / Send Message
    Dancuka polycounter lvl 3
    Hi, it seems the DL link is broken. Can you upload the nodes again? Looks great, would love to test them out.
  • Michael Knubben
    *bump*. I've got these at work, but would like to play around with them in a Substance I'm playing around with right now. Pretty Pretty please?
    edit: seems to work now!
  • kfc
    Thanks for sharing.
    Awesome tools. I've just imported to SD 4.1.1 and it works perfectly.
    Cheers.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Awesome! great these are being used :) The nodes are bit messy when it comes to the settings but should work. Also if the download goes down it is due to download timing out from my file share just let me know ill put it up when it is down. Would love to see samples of people using them here also.

I plan to make a cleaner version later on but not sure when Ill have time to work on it.
  • kony
    Offline / Send Message
    kony polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks to sharing too.
    cool inspiration :)
  • berca76
    Offline / Send Message
    berca76 polycounter lvl 7
    I love this thread! :-)
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    The DL is down, it seems.
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Download should be fixed now :)Link

Minor update been super busy at work finished up the Uncharted trailer 4 was part of the team on the trailer as a texture artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1Rx-Bbht5E

I have some new ideas for these nodes

these nodes need to be cleaned up anyways. Trying to make it more modular with specific fx that can be chained together as opposed to one node that does one full effect.

Oh and to avoid the question... I did use substance on this trailer, but I can not say how much or what :)
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
  • wesm
    Offline / Send Message
    wesm polycounter lvl 4
  • Alessandro.Previti
    Congratulations for your work on Uncharted 4!
    From the traile it looks outstanding!
  • ZenDavis
    Offline / Send Message
    ZenDavis polycounter lvl 6
    Just want to say thank you for these tools. I've just jumped into the Designer and Painter toolset based off your testimony. It's refreshing to see you back that with a toolset that supports what you preach. Thank you. Thank you.
  • HapZungLam2
    Offline / Send Message
    HapZungLam2 polycounter lvl 7
    I m a new substance user. Currently went thru the starter tutorial from allegorithmic youtube channel. Now Im on my quest to create my own substance and your RO tool looks very very cool. Would you mind putting up some tutorials on how to utilize it properly? I have tried loading it up on substance designer but I didn't know what to do with it -_- THanks
  • arvinmoses
    Offline / Send Message
    arvinmoses polycounter lvl 13
    As far as I understand there two different types of nodes here - Thank you so much by the way.

1. Nodes that generate information maps e.g. curvature, ao, position
    2. Nodes that generate noise - e.g. cavity chips, grease, streak

Nodes that generation information maps you use instead of baking out maps. I personally will run it through say "RO AO" then save that file out. I use that file any time I need a general AO. I do this instead of baking out an ao map using xnormal.

Nodes that generate noise I use for adding detail to my materials. SD has a node called material color blend. You plug in a material then add a noise mask. You can then choose what color you want to place where the mask is applied for each channel.

I have some links on my sig to tutorials on basic texturing with SD.
  • MarkBTomlinson
    Offline / Send Message
    MarkBTomlinson polycounter lvl 9
    Really appreciate you taking the time to share your nods on here. They certainly look very useful.
  • MarkBTomlinson
    Offline / Send Message
    MarkBTomlinson polycounter lvl 9
    I am having problems with your default location within the Substance program (on Mac) I wonder wouldn't it be better to allow users to install them in another directory such as one for external substance like from the Gamer package.

Until this is resolved I would have to reinstall these and each time the program upgrades and that needs path alias etc.

Thanks for sharing all the same.
  • Froyok
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    It should be possible to that with the new project system now present in Designer 4.5. :)
    You can create an alias, save it in a project and preserve any relative path to the sbs if the folder containing the resources is at the same level as the project file.

I do this with some custom filters between my home computer and my computer at work with a folder and a project located in my dropbox. We will have some documentation about that very soon.
  • Benmx
    hi! am too have troubles to load the greats tools of roguelio on substance designer 4.6.1 on mac, can somebody help me?
    thanks!
  • Benmx
    any help on this issue? @Froyok
  • Vasco
    Offline / Send Message
    Vasco polycounter lvl 4
    Thx for the .sbs packages!
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    I'm having trouble loading these in as well.
    dAM3gZM.png
    I've added it to the user paths and everything.
    Only way around it is to manually go in a find the .sbs it wants for all the missing files.
  • acealmighty13
    Offline / Send Message
    acealmighty13 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not to sure what to do but I recently downloaded RO's SBS files and would love to use them. I've run into a hitch with SD5 and being new to the software and still figuring things out I'd like to know how to fix this issue.

When I drop one of RO's nodes into my graphs, an Update Report pops up listing the node, change from diffuse to base color, 1.1015151 engine v4, blend node modified:2, and 1.1015933 remove unused package dependencies. No idea what it means at the moment but looking into it. Thought a post here might speed things up.
  • Jerc
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    These are just update notes from multiple format updates between the version Rogelio used to create his files and the latest SD. Nothing to worry about.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Rogelio,

If you get a chance, can you resave in 6?  As per as said its wanting to relink everytime to outside standard filters from inside the RO folder.  Which of course you can't save since the RO files are locked.  I tried copy/pasting your nodes into a replica graph, but it also looks like you have custom input parameters which wont save out all the information.
  • matheus.rosa95
  • rogelio
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    @oXYnary @matheus.rosa95 @acealmighty13

Yep ill check these out soon and see what I can do to them.  When I do ill put the on Gumroad free of course.  let you all know.  In till than sorry just not been keeping up with these and some ways I almost wanted these to die slowly so i could come back and fix them proper.

I may update them instead because these are kind of old.