Home General Discussion

Why is Polycount so dark and green?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
Most of forums I visit frequently are all bright and easy for the eyes. It's sometimes hard on my eyes to go from dark polycount page to somewhere else, especially at night when my lights turned off. Is there a reason why it's the way it is? And can I change it somehow?

Replies

• unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Because dark is easy for eyes. The same reason most modern software packages have dark skins by default.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah its a nice theme but beyond that it is energy saving for monitors, polycount is green
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    Most of forums I visit frequently are all bright and easy for the eyes.

I always assumed that dark is easier for everyones' eyes.
    especially at night when my lights turned off.

F.lux
    Is there a reason why it's the way it is?

It's easier for eyes?
    And can I change it somehow?

There is F.lux to make using computer at night easy for eyes.

Alternatively I found some browser extentions for inverting colours (so that you can invert just polycount):
    chrome
    firefox
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    The Stylish browser plugin let's you easily download themes to customize certain websites off of userstyles.org.
    I even made an alteration of a Unity theme to make their forums look more like Polycount.
    Muaha.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    I like the color scheme. It is easier on the eyes. If I'm not doing something on my 2nd monitor I usually have PC up because its less bright than other websites.

I've seen F.lux on someone elses computer and it just looked wrong to me. I'm sure it helps with eye stress but it jacks your colors up, tinting things orange and stuff depending on time of day, yuck.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I guess I'm just too used to bright color schemes on forums at this point. Thanks for answering, dudes.
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grey background is really the best for posting images.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    It reminds me of Halloween.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    I like it personally, just can't get away with looking at it at work though :P.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    f.lux is amazing, try using it for a while then turning it off!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    F.lux is pretty nice, I used it at my old work place with shitty monitors and it helped make things a lot easier on the eyes, less headaches.

Just don't use it while doing texture work, or anything else that's color-sensitive.
  • zicoV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just installed f.lux and i'm already feeling a bit sleepier then usual.
    Still getting use to the color of my moniter now but it seems pretty cool.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I've argued this point a couple of times, for what it's worth, but there is a mantra that dark=better for eyes.

Doesn't seem to be true at all, same as white=easier for eyes.

From what I've read it's about contrast and text size, so whatever the background color is the text needs to be a corresponding contrast to decrease the amount of ocular activity required to digest it, somewhere in the 80% range is best.

Same goes for images.

Game artist prefer that polycount is dark for the same reason a good percentage listen to metal, because these are more antisocial traits.

I also don't believe in dark portfolios being better by default, I think it depends on work and style.

These are just dumb opinions based on half assed personal observation and long ago research into the black/white thing. Not meant to offend.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Monitors emit a lot of light, bright white light directly shining in you face is a bit distracting. Neutral colors obviously do a better job at not distracting you eyes from an image, grey/dark grey work really well for that. Dark sites are better in darker environments because your eyes don't have to adjust how much light they let in.

Basically pure white and pure black sites are going to effect the contrast in images people post. Example below.

b2qZRtm.png

You'll notice it's much easier to see the detail in the blacks in the top image when it's on a black background when it's on a white background, the contrast from the white causes too much contrast you cannot really read the details in the black of that top image. The second image is there to balance out the top image. If I had a really light screenshot, it would look a bit better on a white BG. But because of how displays work by emitting light, lighter images aren't as poorly effected as darker ones. On print the effect is more much balanced between light and dark.
  • Thane-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thane- polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah its a nice theme but beyond that it is energy saving for monitors, polycount is green
    Not for LCD monitors, LCDs are transparent by default and it takes extra energy to block the backlight, which is always on full in most monitors. You'd be right in the case of OLEDs though.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Good examples, which is why I really think it depends on the artist style and work. Also either way, I wouldn't suggest a 100% black or white either way, darker grey or lighter grey, somewhere near the 80-90%.

Another consideration is that many people find white or light websites more professional than dark or black sites, since white is much more standard around the web and in design in general, so some consideration should be taken there.

When I think about my favorite artist portfolios, most of them are light and white, which gives off a much more clean feeling (again, all my opinion.)

Part of my bias is that I hate dark websites with grungy headers. These sites are almost never well done despite being super prevalent, substituting attitude for design , they remind me of a grungy basement - not somewhere I feel comfortable being.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    I don't think it's an issue of readability or professionalism ( style ).
    By easier ( especially fer aging eyes ) I think most people who prefer the color scheme do so because of the effect of brightness over time. In the same way loud audio volume may help you here every detail ( easier to decipher every sound ) where that "loudness" after many hours of work becomes oppressive to yer eardrums. ( brightness of white overtime is fatiguing )
    Every time I try modding windows to have the same dark scheme I always run into problems overtime ( menus, popdowns etc ) that are hard to track down with some windows updates and I invariably give up and suffer )
    On the flipside my aging eyes prefer bright keyboard LEDs to find my "footing" ( still don't know how to type ).
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    ysalex wrote: »
    I've argued this point a couple of times, for what it's worth, but there is a mantra that dark=better for eyes.

Doesn't seem to be true at all, same as white=easier for eyes.

Don't need to argue about this, you just got to experience it. After many years behind the desk I guess I don't have healthy eyes. So when I get sick, like catch flu or something, this negative effect multiplies. And if at this point I work in bright application, my eyes start watering, while if I work with dark themed app, it feels much better.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    They heard black and green was my favourite colour theme and designed the site just for me.

Thanks guys!
  • encore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    encore polycounter lvl 5
    Light version with userstyles.org

13yjg2v.png

polyzen :)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kill it with fire.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Well, this does seem to be the age of needing to cater to everyone........
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    does the beige site come with a beigetooth?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    JustMeSR wrote: »
    There is F.lux to make using computer at night easy for eyes.

HOLY SHITTT!!!

This is so nice. Maybe my eyes won't get red at night now :D
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    kill it with fire.

Please.

As for why it's dark? R13, genius that he is, had the foresight and intuition to know that grey, black, and green is the best color scheme imaginable, and that all haters will slowly assimilate the pleasing evening palette.
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    xvampire wrote: »
    uhum ,.. ehm
    I prefer this oldschool polycount color , so bright and nice

http://web.archive.org/web/20050305092211/http://boards.polycount.net/ubbthreads.php?Cat=0
    OQ39iIX.png

Sick. Let's all upload our custom Quake models now.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    ErichWK wrote: »
    Sick. Let's all upload our custom Quake models now.

Can we do a Quake spec contest? Please.