Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Warrior customized armour like in Diablo

Hi,

I would like to share with you my recent personal project I am working on. There's still a lot to improve and add details like stitches and more decorations on some armour parts.
The armour will be fully customized, something like Diablo series where the main character wearing pants and can wear whatever he find on his way.
I hope to get some feedback from you, talented polycounters.

Warrior00.jpg

Warrior01.jpg

Warrior02.jpg

Warrior03.jpg

Warrior04.jpg

Replies

• oxblood
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxblood polycounter lvl 9
    This is so dope
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    I thought that was fibermesh, but those are fur cards?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    They look like polygonal fur #_# OMG
    THIS IS RAD!!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    This is looking really good man, and your anatomy looks pretty solid. I would scale his head up a bit tho.

Also, the folds in the pants are looking weak. I think the stress folds just don't look correct especially above the knee.

Also, I think the hips should be higher. But overall very good so far man, looking forward to seeing more!
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy and PyrZern, the fur is initially done in fibermesh but converted to polygons. The fur finally will be done on low poly with transparent tedxture. This hi poly is just for fine hipoly presentation.

BradMyers82 - thanks a lot for helpful feedback. Definitely I'll improve the pants. Need to find a good reference for them. Also agree with the head, it could be a little bigger. Not sure about the hips but will tweak it and see how does it looks.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looks really good man, good job on the fur! Anatomy looks great as well. My only gripe is with the face I think, looks a little generic and could use more personality. Apart from that, nice one!
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Torch

I am planning to work more on the body to make it more asymmetrical and need to add some signs of battle experience, scars on his body and face. I'll try make his face look more tough and with stronger personality but it will be final stage of sculpting when all the parts and pieces will be ready.
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the next update

Warrior05.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I like the new wrinkles around his knees. I expect more fabric hanging around the sides, though. Also, around his bicep, is that like quilted sleeves ? If so, the quilts seem to accidentally end when they run into the gauntlet. I imagine they continue further underneath instead.

Lastly, a question about when you do the fur in lowpoly, are you going to paint them ? Or is there a good way to bake those furs down for nice Alpha as well ? Fur is one of my bane right now, and I'd love to improve myself in that aspect more.
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I still need to work on the trousers and make more loose around the thighs.

The sleeves are kind of quilted as you said and intentionally I made them shorter to end them just before gauntlets because the plan is to have variation with and without the gauntlets. Technically there is not much space for quilted sleeves under the glove and I would have to squeeze them and it wouldn't look good if I take of the gloves. It is quite tricky problem to solve. I may try to make the sleeves more obvious where they ends. Maybe I will make them shorter so it will be possible to see a little bit flash through the gap.

It is always challenging to make proper fur. I have been baking the fibre mesh to low poly in the past but it was projected on flat surface. In this case I want to make fur more 3d, based on polygon cards so I'll project just a sample or a few samples of fur on the plane and after that sprayed them manually in maya.
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the example of baking fur to the flat surface.
    [img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

Sorry just got instruction that I shouldn't show those images yet.
  • Poseidon8734
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poseidon8734 polycounter lvl 6
    Omg wow. What swag. Give me lessons?
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poseidon

It was quite tricky. I have turned around the model and did screenshots in many angles with diffuse and normal map shader. All done in zBrush. Finally combined the screenshots directly in the texture, manually in Photoshop.
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texelion polycounter lvl 8
    Fucking awesome. Do you plan to add the cloak ? Would be so much better.
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texalion, yes there will be cloak. For the back presentation I took it off.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    This is turning out awesome.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looking really good. Small nitpick is I think the folds could be pushed a tad more on the pants. Fur looks awesome!
  • cMac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks LRoy :)

Slosh, thanks. Yes, I probably need devote more time to make it looks better, this is the weakest thing :/ It's quite hard to get a good references for this sort of pants.