http://www.engadget.com/2014/09/09/microsoft-buying-mojang-minecraft/

minecraft-lead.jpg

Replies

• littleclaude
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    After all the press last week for Minecraft on Vita and Ps4? This is quite surprising D:
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    dang, figured Mojang was in a position where they didn't have to sell. Everything I hear about Microsoft makes it sound like a terrible place to work, at least as an artist :P If it's true I hope Mojang can stay a bit autonomous without getting MS layers of corporate bs and contractor caste system.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    While I dont doubt the popularity of minecraft, that company is not worth 2 BILLION dollars....
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Minecraft alone is probably worth that 2 billion. 54 million sales, plus merchandise, and will keep selling as new children grow old enough to play. Plus minecraft has a huge education potential, it's the new Oregon Trail. It doesn't have the historical aspect, but it has logic and circuits, legos, problem solving, "trains", team-working, etc.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius wrote: »
    While I dont doubt the popularity of minecraft, that company is not worth 2 BILLION dollars....

Are you taking into account the worth of the IP? Minecraft is basically the Mario Brothers & Lego of the current generation of kids.

Anyway, after thinking about it, I hope things are set up so everyone at Mojang can walk away from this fairly wealthy; ie stock options or something similar
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Microsoft always too late to the party

What do you want with Mojang now ? Theres nothing to take anymore. What are they gonna do now, make Minecraft 2 ? I dont get it. The concurrence already has their minecraft if im not mistaken.

Maybe MS will make them bring out some updates once in a while. If they would just
    bring features and content corresponding 1% of their profits, it could be so much more.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    They may be late to the party but Minecraft will still generate a ton of revenue and will continue to do so for quite some time, there are also a lot of ways Microsoft could push the franchise forward as well.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Doesn't sound like the articles are really confirming anything, just parroting speculation.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be really strange if true, I remember back when Notch got offered a job at Valve he was like he wanted to make his own Valve. Sounds like he would plan to leave not long after the deal was finished.

I have to think Microsoft is looking at the valve of this as a licence rather than trying to keep it a platform exclusive as its a little late for that.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    seriously 2 billion, who ever says a small developer is independent enough to not sell out for 2 billion must be insane. it is 2 fucking billion dollar, thats like 4 x destiny, you can develop a long timefor 2 billion dollar.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    I still hope he doesn't, I really thought Notch would be the last guy to sell out :(
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah hes pretty critical of oculus rift when they sold to facebook.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Notch has also been known to backtrack and forget his own principles. I wouldn't be surprised if he did sell Mojang. Lets not kid ourselves, 2 billion is a LOT of money and Notch isn't exactly known as someone who won't sell to the highest bidder. Minecraft being a 360 exclusive for years should tell you enough about Notch's motivations.
  • littleclaude
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really don't think this should be about someones greed (or whatever you want to imply with his motivations :D) , 2 billion give you so much safety as an employer and thats what he is by now. I can only guess that he has more money than he would ever need for himself. But this would make his company rock solid to all his employees.
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Neox wrote: »
    i really don't think this should be about someones greed (or whatever you want to imply with his motivations :D) , 2 billion give you so much safety as an employer and thats what he is by now. I can only guess that he has more money than he would ever need for himself. But this would make his company rock solid to all his employees.

I am sure he was thinking off his employees and the greater good but I think anyone would do the same in his position. :poly121:
    lokxtci.gif
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2 Billion is a ton of money but Notch already has scores of millions saved ... money can't be his motivation anymore. If he does sell, it's probably just because he wants out.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I'd sell out for a lot less than that.

Probably a bad move on Microsoft's part though. I'd be worried that Mojang is just a one trick pony.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    komaokc wrote: »
    I'd sell out for a lot less than that.

Probably a bad move on Microsoft's part though. I'd be worried that Mojang is just a one trick pony.

They don't want Mojang, they want Minecraft.

Minecraft 2 with Kinect support and microtransactions? If they'd had that for the Xbone launch they'd be raking it in.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, they clearly want Minecraft. Especially if that article above is accurate and Notch is talking about not hanging around.

Minecraft still has a lot of life left in it and it's a cultural cornerstone at this point. I don't know if it has 2 BILLION of life left in it, but what do I know...
  • Visum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Visum polycounter lvl 7
    Sounds like a nice deal with a large umbrella for the developer.
    I wonder why would anybody say no to this :)
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    The thing about Minecraft and Mojang is that I doubt most of their income at this point comes from actual sales. From what I heard they have an unlimited supply of tasks and assignments that top dog goverments are paying ridiculous amounts for. Like using Minecraft and a in-game copy of a city, so that architects can solve problems with housing and space. I bet they have so many offers that they can pick and choose whatever they want to do, and get payed very well for it.

I may be talking out of my arse here, but that's what I've heard :P

Don't know what microsoft wants to do with it though, feels a bit suspect.

EDIT : Tried finding what I was talking about on the web, seriously can't. Think they got an assignment to make a copy of Stockholm's old town so that architects could solve som problems with the weird ground plot shapes. But I can't find it so, mountain of salt.

EDIT2 : Apparently I'm not completely talking out of my arse! Project Blockholm, building houses on 100.000 plots in Stockholm's old town. By my knowledge they've got assignments like that in an unending queue.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    err what, that makes no sense, ingame copies of real world cities for architects to solve problems with space o_O

they will most likely make most of the money with merchandising for kids, they have their own department in Walmart :o
  • Surfa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Surfa polycounter lvl 12
    Yeah why would you use minecraft for something like that. There is a reason that CAD programs exist.

I think the minecraft brand is worth a shit-ton though, Microsoft may be overpaying but the cost of IPs nowadays is getting slightly outrageous. If you think amazon payed almost $1 billion for twitch you can see that minecraft is going to be worth a lot.
  • JackNelson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    you can develop a long timefor 2 billion dollar.

Yep this seems like a fair assumption haha :P
    I'd PROBABLY sell for 1 billion or over, assuming they asked nicely.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Well done to Mojang, I hope they do something worthwhile with the moolah.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    WarrenM wrote: »
    If he does sell, it's probably just because he wants out.
    Notch has been out of development on Minecraft for years now. That's why he set up Mojang, to continue supporting Minecraft while he pursued other things.

I for one would love to see Minecraft 2. The blocky charm of Minecraft was never what did it for me. It was always about the exploration of a unique world, and the ability to create whatever you want. Bring the visuals into the 21st century, expand the scope of the game even more, and you've got a 2 billion dollar IP on your hands.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme polycounter lvl 8
    MS gets their Minecraft money, Mojang guys including Notch get shedloads of Money. Even if they split up they could set up several independent dev studios, publishers and strengthen up European game dev scene. All in all pretty much everyone wins.
  • Entity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Entity polycounter lvl 18
    Bloomberg reports that Notch initiated talks with Microsoft.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Notch has been out of development on Minecraft for years now. That's why he set up Mojang, to continue supporting Minecraft while he pursued other things.

I for one would love to see Minecraft 2. The blocky charm of Minecraft was never what did it for me. It was always about the exploration of a unique world, and the ability to create whatever you want. Bring the visuals into the 21st century, expand the scope of the game even more, and you've got a 2 billion dollar IP on your hands.

agreed, even with the blocky art it could be modernized. some of the mods already help a lot with this.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What was that kickstarter game that was really similar but brought in some MMORPG elements to the whole mix? It had flyable kites (or how do you call them) and if I remember correctly devs abandoned it.
    Put those ideas in, work more on already setup RPG system, add more things you could do with redstone. Like electric engine, pistons/pumps etc so you could build cranes, primitive locomotives, cars and so much more. People would go mental for that and its great for education too!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    martinszeme: sounds like Cube World. Notch offered the dev a job at Mojang a little while back but he ended up turning him down in the end.
  • martinszeme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Justin! Thats the one! Again one of the ways you could push Minecraft 2 if they decided to do a sequel.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    2 Billion is a ton of money but Notch already has scores of millions saved ... money can't be his motivation anymore. If he does sell, it's probably just because he wants out.

absolute power and money corrupt absolutely
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Are you guys joking. You wouldn't sell for 2 BILLION DOLLARS? lol...
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Wow, definitely didn't expect to see this coming. At this point I bet he wants to step away from the hustle and bustle and work on smaller passion projects again.
    LRoy wrote: »
    Are you guys joking. You wouldn't sell for 2 BILLION DOLLARS? lol...

Well, the dude is kind of on a higher level than most of us. When you're worth several million easy it's probably a lot easier to think about whether a buyout like this is right for the company and yourself. This dude isn't 60k in debt and just getting by on freelance like some artists. :V
  • Saf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saf polycounter lvl 11
    2 billions for minecraft player base. lol
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit low if you ask me.

Lol, Notch tweeted in March that he's turned down offers in the 2 billion range: here's the link
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I could believe that. Notch released a text based game called Drowning in Problems a while back and it's quite depressing in my opinion. This game could potentially be a sign that he's unhappy with the current status of his life, but there's no evidence of that and it's just an assumption.

He might be rich and famous, but it's not like all of your problems will suddenly disappear if you get money. There are lesser known devs that also make a lot less money than Notch that get abused by trolls on the internet daily, I can only imagine how many more people would try to attack Notch, especially considering how active he is with his community.
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    i reckon it's a clear sign that he wants out and refresh, selling to M$ and get big bucks out of it almost like a perfect joke to him.

I never played Minecraft, to me that game's just got right idea and right execution which is very hard to get these days, i'm very curious to see what's he up to next.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I want $2,000,000,000
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I want $2,000,000,000

I'll give a $1 to that cause, you just needs 1/3rd of the planet to help you out.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Well maybe my Kickstarter next Jan/Feb will hit $2B.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Think about what the budget was for minecraft prior to it becoming successful and then divide 2 billion by that number. Microsoft could have spent this money developing a thousand extremely high risk titles and ended up owning all the IPs from the start.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    AlecMoody wrote: »
    Think about what the budget was for minecraft prior to it becoming successful and then divide 2 billion by that number. Microsoft could have spent this money developing a thousand extremely high risk titles and ended up owning all the IPs from the start.

And that's exactly the big joke in game development these days :)
    Microsoft being the biggest example of them all, with them always following and never leading.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    A 1,000 small budget games come out a year, how many of them end up being the 3rd best selling game of all time?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Microsoft could just do something like ArtJAM or GameJAM once every Summer or whatever. They would surely make lots of new interesting and fun games to turn into big and successful IPs.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody wrote: »

Forward thinking instead of reactionary spending? For shame, Alec...
  • CJFerguson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJFerguson polycounter lvl 7
    Every kid at the school my wife teaches at plays Minecraft. And they all have Minecraft backpacks and Minecraft hats, and Minecraft everything. I would guess that it's worth that 2 Billion with merchandising, name recognition, and the mass appeal around the globe for the kind of game it is.

I can't imagine turning down 2 Billion dollars. Though it's not like Notch is a poor man anyways. I mean what do you do when you're already rich and you can become super rich? Is that like moving from yachts to helicopters? I'm too poor to even envision what this looks like.

Edit* Plus that game has so much room to expand upon itself. Nuts. Somebody already said this, but it's like the new Legos minus the hilarious movie.