Home Technical Talk

Merge Subtools Into One Single Shell Zbrush

I need some help please...

This may be something simple but I can't find out how to do it:

I need to merge many subtools (a biped character and his layered clothing, accessories) into one subtool that is a SINGLE SHELL that represents the outside.

I other words I need to bounce everything to one subtool that combines everything NOT in a layered fashion, but only the outer surface combined into one.

So far everything I found lets you merge into one subtool, which I can export as an obj, but it still has layers.

So for example the shirt and skin under the coat still exist. I need to merge so that only the coat shows and there are no layers of the skin or shirt under the coat.

I hope I'm making sense here... Thank you!

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Usually when I need to do this for printing, dynamesh gets the job done (near max resolution followed by some decimation master to cut the file size back down).
  • supermoby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Usually when I need to do this for printing, dynamesh gets the job done (near max resolution followed by some decimation master to cut the file size back down).

Thank you so much for the super fast reply :)

I've tried it but even at max resolution not all the details come through properly.

Is there any other setting that could enable this?
  • easerly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    easerly polycounter lvl 6
    Maybe you can project polypaint from original mesh?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I've tried it but even at max resolution not all the details come through properly. Is there any other setting that could enable this?

Dynamesh's resolution is based on the scale of the mesh. If you need more geometry to capture finer detail then you could try increasing the size of the mesh first, run dynamesh, and then set the final scale back down afterwards.
  • supermoby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid wrote: »
    Dynamesh's resolution is based on the scale of the mesh. If you need more geometry to capture finer detail then you could try increasing the size of the mesh first, run dynamesh, and then set the final scale back down afterwards.

Thank you all for trying to help!

I have sized up the character to triple the size. I still get errors such as artifacts between the ears and the head (check attachment and notice how the ear is now linked to the head - how do you cut the mesh in such a situation???).

OR barring that, is there another method of creating one external skin from all subtools without having to compromise quality? At the end of the day it's just about removing the polygons that are not seen (maybe some sort of boolean operation?)

I have also tried to project onto a retopo skin. But projecting multiple subtools that are overlayed into a unitary skin results in even worse errors.