Home General Discussion

Need help with backpack and luggage modeling

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Mikel polycounter lvl 10
Hello buddies!
I'd like to ask what's your workflow when modeling backpacks and/or any kind of luggage.
I have a lot of doubts like:
Modeling the patches and then importing in Zbrush for detailing...? All the work in Z...? What about stitching and zips...? How do you retopo that little bitches...?

Refs:

DayZ backpack: (Loving the detail on the green one)
backpacks.jpg
3D Camelback:
mranthony3d_bag_wp.jpg
Jeremiah's backpack:
11_Textured_Backpack_Set_02.jpg

Smiles and hugs!

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    It would probably be easier to make them entirely within zbrush. You can use IMM curve brushes for straps, zips, and stitches. (there's a bunch of these already made on the internet) Then retopologise using zremesher before you bring it back into your 3D program.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    wow the dayZ backpacks are REALLY well done. thats a hell lot of work if it's not scanned.

personally i would block the main shape in max, get it over to zbrush and get it into the organic deformed shape, then either detail in zbrush or retopo the patches and then go over with zbrush to add all the detail

3dcamelback looks like a simple model with some phototextures slapped on

the 3point one looks pretty classical, basemesh done in a 3d app to a pretty detailled level and then sculpted over for the fine details
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    wow the contrast on the dayz picture with the green backpack and the hair is brutal, looks like they photoshoped in the backpack hehe.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Perhaps they used Marvelous?
  • Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
    Thank you guys! Let's hope more people give their opinion about the workflow.
    Yeah Jonas. The right one looks shoped.
    Also... Isn't the multi-quote button working?
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Personally, I'd do it all in 3ds max and then add wrinkles and folds in Zbrush. It'd take quite a bit of time though, for all the cool wrinkles. And I'd need some good references to work with too. DayZ's backpacks don't look sculpted tho, I think they used scans or Marvelous for that.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Spoon wrote: »
    Perhaps they used Marvelous?

totally possible, still getting the damn thing, scanning it and sending it back might give more realistic results, in less time
  • Mikel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mikel polycounter lvl 10
    Doesn't Marvelous need a support mesh to add structure for the cloth? Maybe the idea is creating the main shape, importing it into Marvelous and then doing the cloth simulation...
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Neox wrote: »
    wow the dayZ backpacks are REALLY well done. thats a hell lot of work if it's not scanned.

The arma games are a weird mix of great and terrible art.