Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Virtual Reality Zombie WIP

Here's something I'm working on. More updates soon :)

j8dNETc.png?1

Replies

• Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    Reminds me of the stalker from HL2
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reminds me of the stalker from HL2

haha cool man I'll take that :)
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll definitely take into account any suggestions you guys have!

Thanks!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    The fiction I'm writing in my head about this is someone who's perpetually connected to a VR system (backpack one), and is being barely kept alive on portable life support. Visually, he's zombie looking, but within the guy's head, he's in another world, accomplishing virtual goals and making virtual progress.

Something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I

Hopefully that provides some focus to a potential design for this character.
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The fiction I'm writing in my head about this is someone who's perpetually connected to a VR system (backpack one), and is being barely kept alive on portable life support. Visually, he's zombie looking, but within the guy's head, he's in another world, accomplishing virtual goals and making virtual progress.

Something like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUhOnX8qt3I

Hopefully that provides some focus to a potential design for this character.

Jade you nailed it! Having someone else write back what I was visualizing in my head makes it even clearer. Thanks for posting that! I plan to do more with the headset to make it more of the focus and seem like it really could cause someone to waste away in a virtual reality
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, update. More details and new goggles :). Anyone have suggestions to improve?

Ce9TGE1.jpg?1
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coudl you switch material? Red Wax tends to highlight certain edges things unnecessarily.
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure, any suggestions on material? I'm still new to the materials and rendering haha :P Maybe just basic material? That's already helping. I can see I need to go back in and make things pop a little more. Some of it's a little to subtle i think.
  • ClusterOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    I suggest basic material but matcap grey is also good if you prefer matcap materials.
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there an 'amplify' type brush in Zbrush I can use to make the existing wrinkles etc. I have pop a little more? Or is the best was just to go in an add on top of them.

EDIT: Nvm -I believe I found a thread.
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's the matcap grey. Basic mat was coming off a bit to reflective and now showing enough shadows (could be my current lights). Haven't had a chance to do too much more with him. Any thoughts? I think he'll look better with an overall texturing.

luOZtlx.png?1
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could use more thought behind the design? All the major elements still make this bust lacking.
  • [NB] Mohsen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [NB] Mohsen polycounter lvl 3
    Yeah, try to make him look a bit more bony such as showing the silhouette of his rib cage a bit more
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I'll keep going :)
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To do:
    1. sharpen/push anatomy
    2. sharpen/push details
    3. incorporate more interesting elements. (more details, plugs, wire, to goggles? Maybe something else interesting to look at on his noggin? Mohawk? lol)
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If concepting in 3D seems daunting, plan it out in 2D.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Something I like to see when I look at zombie designs are the story behind the zombie. Where did the infection originate (where was he bit?) Has he attacked any survivors? Have survivors attacked him? How long has he been infected?

I think this idea is great, but you could take it a lot further. Flesh wounds, festering, flaking skin, maybe evidence of a bite or wound from a specific weapon? Also, playing up the idea could be a great edition- incorporate some wires from the device. Maybe a game controller wrapped around his neck?

Keep it up, great work so far.

Edit: Also, I think he needs some hair. Play around with fibermesh... it's fun!
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Something I like to see when I look at zombie designs are the story behind the zombie. Where did the infection originate (where was he bit?) Has he attacked any survivors? Have survivors attacked him? How long has he been infected?

I think this idea is great, but you could take it a lot further. Flesh wounds, festering, flaking skin, maybe evidence of a bite or wound from a specific weapon? Also, playing up the idea could be a great edition- incorporate some wires from the device. Maybe a game controller wrapped around his neck?

Keep it up, great work so far.

Edit: Also, I think he needs some hair. Play around with fibermesh... it's fun!

Thanks so much jhoythottle. I'll continue to work on him. I was kinda feeling the vibe / backstory that Jade had described : "The fiction I'm writing in my head about this is someone who's perpetually connected to a VR system (backpack one), and is being barely kept alive on portable life support. Visually, he's zombie looking, but within the guy's head, he's in another world, accomplishing virtual goals and making virtual progress."

So I think he'll be more of a drained person glued to this system than actual infected zombie. I'll be back this week with updates. Thanks again for the tips guys :)
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kinda like this vibe "drained" by the system he's on. I think its tough because I don't have a lot of expression to show with the eyes being hidden. So, like you guys said I need to do more with everything else.

wyuEDhC.jpg?1
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this image helps me visualize your idea more. Liking the hanging jaw. might be cool to implement into your design as well. Maybe some drool?
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey dudes,

Haven't had much time to work on this, but I have a better idea where I'm going. Sagged the jaw more and sharpened some of the anatomy. Gonna add arms and have him strangling himself playing with the game controller lol. Or to save some time (I'd like to get a 3D print of this guy) I might just have the controller wrapped and hanging down his chest like Jhoythottle suggested. Might make more sense since I've been wanting to do some busts for the model kit community and display.

ZFtuMeJ.png?1
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, very cool. Liking the direction this is going in. that slack jaw really adds to visual. If you don't put the arms in, the wire dangling will look better than it being tightened.
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    looking cool, i like the choice you made with the lower teeth and jaw. looks cool with a skewed angle. maybe knock a few teeth out of his mouth to break things up a bit?