Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Minotaur

Hey guys,

Pretty new to this. I'm a traditional sculptor and part-time FX artist. Wanted to learn Zbrush for concept art and possibly model kit making. Here's my first completed render using zbrush and photoshop. Hope you like him. C&C welcome :) If you have any suggestions on other stuff I should learn/look into to improve I'm all ears. Always looking to get better.

4SABzCT.png?1

Replies

• BeserK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeserK polycounter lvl 12
    Looks great, I love the detail at the base of his horns.
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I think it looks decent from a "moody render" standpoint, but I'm much more interesting in seeing something that shows off the anatomy. Is this a bust or a figure? Is the green on his body from lights, specular, or shader fresnel? I just can't see enough to really provide criticism.

I would like to see another pass on the horns though. Ir looks like there are organic lumps at the base of the bone and fine, shallow grooves as it progresses more toward the tip. They look good, but with an addition pass of deep cuts and chunkier "panels" almost, you could really make him look a lot more aggressive.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm seeing this as more of a demon than a minotaur - nothing wrong with demons, of course.

Bull horns grown straight out before angling forwards. They also typically have a smooth surface over the core, often with a dark gradient towards the tip. There really is quite a bit you can do with the texture, but most of it is fairly subtle. The current grooves on the horns are quite deep for this kind of horn.
    Unforgotten-23.jpg
    I'd really expect a minotaur to be quite hairy; traditional depictions have a bestial (i.e. furry) face that gradually becomes a normal - though hairy - human chest/back.

The eyes also really scream "demon". A bull's eye would be similar to a human's, only with a much larger iris - filling the entire visible portion of the eye.

Having both an earring and a nose ring seems a little much. The ring material isn't that interesting - brass might be a better choice, but even a more metallic wrought iron would work.
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Appreciate the input guys! :) It's just a bust and my first time trying to render with a quick and dirty paint job. So I definitely agree I could do more with the paint to make certain things pop more. Same with the materials. As for the title 'minotaur' - I just picked a name to post it lol. So you're right, definitely more of a demon/bull hybrid. It's a made up character and that's the first title that came to mind

Thanks again! I will definitely take all of this into consideration for future work! Here's another plain material render I had laying around that might show the sculpt better.

b3li6x6.png?1
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And a basic keyshot render

L7xAHXs.jpg?1
  • Trioxin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And thanks Berserk :D
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Very nice! I know you're fairly new to Zbrush, but you should definitely consider adding some hair to this. Even if it's just a light coating. Watch some tutorials on Fibermesh- it could really add to an already great design.