iJlrtOtMp6nVk.png

iRS2D9xGoR46I.png

ibiMENAfjO4DQX.png

iGrGIwipWawfW.png

idPrTBP7tAueT.png

ibdqOHk0LRvIsL.png

iEngPcwVxGtM4.png

Original Post:

Just started working on this three days ago after playing through bits of both The Last of Us and Uncharted 2. I got the itch to make a destroyed train car in the snow after playing the intro to Uncharted 2 and thought it would be interesting to apply the design aesthetic and post apocalyptic context of TLOU to the idea.

So far I have the basic train car structure in as well as a few of the larger assets. The idea will be to fill the whole thing with dense detail, so I'm still very early on.

Working on this in UE4 and using Quixel Suite for all of the texturing so far.

QBmyLv7.jpg

Wf0Qi3g.jpg

ihyAUSY.jpg

Replies

• ghaztehschmexeh
    I'd actually like to live here.

But that's a good thing.

I'm weird.

Really digging it so far.
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    This looks really cool so far. I'm really liking the overall tone. One thing I'd mention though is that since his is a destroyed train car I'd expect more disfiguration in the floor boards an the boards running along the base of the walls.
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    eedobaba7726 polycounter lvl 9
    This looks really cool so far. I'm really liking the overall tone. One thing I'd mention though is that since his is a destroyed train car I'd expect more disfiguration in the floor boards an the boards running along the base of the walls.

Yeah, I might go in and do some more damage to the floorboards and give them some dimension in the spots they might buckle up. The nice thing about using the Quixel Suite for all of my texturing is that I could make some 3D floorboards to use for destruction and texture them using the exact same material that I used for the flat floor texture.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Saw your portfolio.
    4b0.gif
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    Grinding through more basic assets. Today I made a ceiling light fixture and a wheeled metal cart. Next up will probably be a camping cooler or some canned foods.

WtWxzbV.jpg

EjaFs55.jpg
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    Made a folding chair, some food and soda cans, and kept tweaking my asset placement and particles. Also went through and added a whole bunch of graffiti decals.

The cart will definitely have more than just cans on it when I have more assets to put there. I just have it covered in cans to act as a placeholder to give me a better idea of how that spot works visually.

zbtUZsV.jpg

1n0AKb8.jpg

2keoUvh.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    I feel like your lawn chair needs some major love. I personally havent seen any with the design you have, but even so I feel like something like this would be way more interesting

tiny-lawnchair.gif

I agreed with the desaturation comment but I think all of your wood needs to be "sapped of life" a bit more. Your window planks especially need some love texture wise. There is also something that kind of bothers me about the wood planks texture on the wall... I think it is because wood planks are usually offset like your floor texture but for some reason on the wall they are lined up perfectly.

Your cot, and cans are lookin good. Your structures are generally pretty well built, I especially like that wood shelf. Your propane texture looks a little blurry though.

Overall you got a nice little scene here. It's kind of funny too, I am currently working on a scene that have/will have a lot of the same props in it. I literally have a cot, soda cans, lawn chair, duffle bag and luggage, in mine as well =P

yours takes place in a train, mine is more of a henchmen hideout in a taken over cruise ship. ( link in case you're interested in checkin it out )

Keep up the good work!
  • Pookhan
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    This looks awesome, I really like it. Only thing that stands out for me is the cans. They look like they have been intentionally placed. I feel like they should be more scattered and more of them tipped over or crushed/dented. Also, the spec/gloss is quite strong. For the amount of rust and dust that would gather, it would maybe be a bit softer.
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD wrote: »
    I feel like your lawn chair needs some major love. I personally havent seen any with the design you have, but even so I feel like something like this would be way more interesting

tiny-lawnchair.gif

I agreed with the desaturation comment but I think all of your wood needs to be "sapped of life" a bit more. Your window planks especially need some love texture wise. There is also something that kind of bothers me about the wood planks texture on the wall... I think it is because wood planks are usually offset like your floor texture but for some reason on the wall they are lined up perfectly.

Your cot, and cans are lookin good. Your structures are generally pretty well built, I especially like that wood shelf. Your propane texture looks a little blurry though.

Overall you got a nice little scene here. It's kind of funny too, I am currently working on a scene that have/will have a lot of the same props in it. I literally have a cot, soda cans, lawn chair, duffle bag and luggage, in mine as well =P

yours takes place in a train, mine is more of a henchmen hideout in a taken over cruise ship. ( link in case you're interested in checkin it out )

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the detailed feedback.
    Here's my reference for the chair that I used. But I think you're right, the criss-crossing design is a lot more visually interesting, and I think I'll go back to the chair to try and get that look.

As for the wood, I see what you mean about it looking not weathered enough, and I'm already working on adding more.

Pookhan wrote: »
    This looks awesome, I really like it. Only thing that stands out for me is the cans. They look like they have been intentionally placed. I feel like they should be more scattered and more of them tipped over or crushed/dented. Also, the spec/gloss is quite strong. For the amount of rust and dust that would gather, it would maybe be a bit softer.

Yeah, placement for the little assets like the cans is definitely just thrown in for the time being. I'll be putting work into making it more natural once I have more of the modeling for the other assets done.

As for the shine on the cans, I was back and forth on that when texturing them. The soda cans in particular are probably the ones you're talking about. For those I kept the bare metal pretty shiny but layered in a bunch of rust and dirt on top. It's just that the metal parts showing through are still pretty shiny. I'll probably bring down the gloss some more to give the feeling of a thin layer of dust like you suggest.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Love your soda can textures.
  • CandyStripes05
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    looking good, got me following
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    Made the changes to the chair and added some new assets to the scene. Made that cooler, some broken glass on the floor, added some broken and buckled boards to the floor, and made a small metal bucket. Also playing a little with some color grading. I'll probably tone it down some but I don't think I totally dislike the change.

N1rXZvF.jpg

kwbKwoB.jpg

aVynvIQ.jpg

LG3TmAR.jpg
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the new chair and some of your new updates! Keep the awesome work coming! :) :thumbup:
  • ScrotieFlapWack
    Offline / Send Message
    ScrotieFlapWack polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing man! Would love to see some sort of walkthrough for your workflow. I love the style of your stuff man :D
  • kurt_hectic
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    Looks good but IMO ssao is way too strong.
  • Bruno Afonseca
    Looking great! I'd tone down the post processing a bit so we can better judge things.
    What I personally would change is the floor planks, the gap feels a bit too thick imo. The lamps look good, I'd make them hang a bit lower so we could see them better. And I think it'd do you good to have some of the original train elements in there, say curtains, seats, those bars that you hold onto, either in their original state or repurposed, to remind us of what this was before :)
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    Today I made an LED lantern, a bunch of old paperback books, and a fire axe to hang on the wall.

D51Jt8y.jpg

egTGtEE.jpg

vVoj9iW.jpg

PsrIXu9.png
  • Elod.H
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    eedobaba7726, this looks beautiful. Reminds me of old, painted games such as Monkey Island and such with the really detailed environments they had.
    First thing that came to my mind though is that the bloom/blur is a bit too much for my taste. I think sharpening the image up would actually help. For example, if I look at the chair, my eyes are getting tired because of the blurry effect.
    Other than that, this looks awesome! Keep it up
  • RogelioD
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H wrote: »
    eedobaba7726, this looks beautiful. Reminds me of old, painted games such as Monkey Island and such with the really detailed environments they had.
    First thing that came to my mind though is that the bloom/blur is a bit too much for my taste. I think sharpening the image up would actually help. For example, if I look at the chair, my eyes are getting tired because of the blurry effect.
    Other than that, this looks awesome! Keep it up

I agree, that fringe intensity is a little intense.
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, sorry about the fringe. It's something I turn on when I'm messing with post processing, then forget to turn off when I'm taking screenshots. It's the sort of effect that looks a lot better in motion than in a screenshot, especially a compressed one. I'll turn it off for all the shots in the future.
  • Poinball
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Just Wow men !! Keep up the good work !!
  • JamieRIOT
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    The scene is looking nice, but in the most recent update you seem to have lost almost all sense of this train car being in a snowy environment. The lighting is now very warm. Not sure if that was you intention?
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT wrote: »
    The scene is looking nice, but in the most recent update you seem to have lost almost all sense of this train car being in a snowy environment. The lighting is now very warm. Not sure if that was you intention?

The idea of the scene is that the inhabited end of the train car is very warm and the snowy end is very cool. That last post was all images from the warm end so I think that's what you're referring to.

Anyway, I've been working solidly on this since my last post and since I have a few new responsibilities coming up that'll take time away from these personal projects, I've decided to go ahead and call it finished today.

Some of my full res final shots:

i6qi7MSJ6doQ0.png

ib7NaB3XtoYPz.png

ibpTgU8zox7kXS.png

ibaqlPPt4qA8Qv.png

iFtWYhoUBFW1A.png

izzPQQ5Law82y.png

iJlrtOtMp6nVk.png

iRS2D9xGoR46I.png

ibiMENAfjO4DQX.png

iGrGIwipWawfW.png

idPrTBP7tAueT.png

ibdqOHk0LRvIsL.png

iEngPcwVxGtM4.png
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    great job on the scene! I'm particularly a fan of the strange graffiti man on the door.
  • manilamerc
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    Do you usually unwrap everything everything separately?
  • GrungyStudios
    Offline / Send Message
    GrungyStudios polycounter lvl 8
    sooooo good n detailed
  • eedobaba7726
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc wrote: »
    Do you usually unwrap everything everything separately?

Most of my assets were unwrapped separately, but I did some of my assets on shared texture sets. The wooden boards, the cans and the books are all done like that.
  • manilamerc
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
    I would love to see the maps for the cans/wooden boards/books Just curious on how you laid it out. I'm getting new into this stuff. I'm never sure when I want to keep an object on its own UV map or stuff many objects into one UV map.