Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zbrush - Feedback for body and clothing

Hello everyone,

I am currently sculpting a character for a video-game. It's my first time sculpting a person, so I need some help. I am fairly happy with the head but now i'm onto the body and clothing.

Here's a screenshot:
79eb470d44a6254c4de0266d5dded0a0.png

There is obviously something off-putting about the sculpt. I don't know whether it's the form or the lack of detail? I hope someone can give me some good feedback on what I can improve on.

Thanks!

Replies

• Itholon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Itholon polycounter lvl 7
    Not sure if it's because of the pants, but the torso seems a bit long. Could you post a naked version perhaps? Also more angles... with a head ;).
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think for the sleeves to do that, the shirt gotta be quite tight. It looks pretty loose however.
  • pastelspirit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pastelspirit polycounter lvl 7
    Yes, the proportions are a bit off. Check your reference (if you don't use any then I suggest you find some) and aim for those proportions! Also would be nice to see more angles. ;)
  • Mr T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, here's another screenshot:
    108bc35b4ec735df1f9c3835f7abf5fe.png

By the way: I know some things looks god damn awful but I just want to get a "picture" of how the end result might look like. For example the polypaint on the shoes haha! Going to fix things like that after I've gotten the proportions right.

And since the 2.5 perspective is warping the picture quite a lot it's even harder to get the form right :/ The face in that picture looks like a football XD (it looks proper when I don't have the body subtool)

Anyway, thanks everyone for helping out!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Are you actually in perspective mode? But yeah, torso looks too long. Folds have no weight to them.

Keep pushing it!
  • Mr T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright i'm on it! But yeah i'm in perspective mode but I think I've done something weird considering there is not much difference between the two. This happens whenever I work with more than one subtool.

Thanks for the feedback! I'm just gonna fail enough times so that I'm bound to get it right :D Might get a book on anatomy as well...
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    It's quite good at this moment, but I think that folds on sleeves are to heavy. You also made strange fold near left arm.

Prd1hi0.png
  • Luke_Starkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luke_Starkie polycounter lvl 8
    You need to play around with the proportions of his skull more and his neck. The neck is too thick and long in comparison to the proportions of his body. So I'd slim that down some.

Your head is reading like the mask from Drive.

drive3.jpg

Mainly its the size of the cranium and it seems like the features of the face are scaled in, Like I said play about with it, Look at lots of reference.

Keep going!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Gonna be honest, no clue what you're doing to make this happen, but it's probably messing with your entire sculpt if that's the case (making all proportions hard to judge, potentially messing up everything). Can you export to a true 3D program and see what the results are? More for curiosity rather than actual troubleshooting, I'd imagine what you've done is ticked on some obscure option in zbrush that does something even funkier than the already wonky faux perspective. Adding a subtool does skew the perspective slightly, but I've never seen anything this... severe.

Edit: There's an equal chance that the perspective is correct now, but wasn't before. Kinda hard to tell.
  • Mr T
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for your kind support! Feels like I've been sculpting this guy for ages so it's good with some cookies to cheer you up :)

I will definitely look into the proportions and the folds more.

Here is an screenshot of the decimated and lowest subdivision sculpt in 3DS MAX:
    323c131f279ba66a99d32ca8b200068c.png

(I had to sacrifice his right arm, but that's OK for now)

Once again, thanks for all the help! Quite surprised how everyone's awesome here at Polycount :)