Home Technical Talk

DebrisMaker2

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
Not sure if this has been posted here yet, so I apologize if it has, but I stumbled across this and I'm still picking up pieces of grey matter off the wall.

http://www.debrismaker.aarondabelow.com/v1/

Discuss!

Replies

• ZombieWells
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieWells polycounter lvl 12
    this looks fantastic! I am going to screw around with this over the weekend ;) he has this too, which looks fairly cool. http://vimeo.com/48129070
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Dude. This looks like a must have.
  • cman2k
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    Gotta find some time to play around with this.
  • NegevPro
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    This is some amazing work!
  • kurt_hectic
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    good-looking procedurals

Nope.

IMO that plugin is only a small library of objects with some settings. It's too less to get my attention. Really good scripts\plugins should offer some algorithms, something new, something that will speed up our work. I didn't find any of this in this plugin. Just ready to use small library of assets, it's ok but nothing special.
  • Kurt Russell Fan Club
    Offline / Send Message
    Kurt Russell Fan Club polycounter lvl 9
    Nope.

IMO that plugin is only a small library of objects with some settings. It's too less to get my attention. Really good scripts\plugins should offer some algorithms, something new, something that will speed up our work. I didn't find any of this in this plugin. Just ready to use small library of assets, it's ok but nothing special.

In my opinion your opinion stinks.

You get a library of procedural assets (read: infinite variations within their defined scope) that are completely editable, with tons of tweaking options and with an interface that makes incorporating them in scenes super fast. FOR FREE
  • tadpole3159
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Nope.

Thats really mean kurt_hectic. Remember the rules on criticizing peoples work. If it ain't constructive keep it too your self.
    something new, something that will speed up our work

I'm exploring some game idea's for work. I've got too make a series of high quality images for a pitch in a few weeks. I could spend hours and hours sculpting rocks and modelling plants and at the end of the day I would have a perfectly fine series of models, or I could muck about with this script and get it done in a matter on minutes.
  • Simmo
    Offline / Send Message
    Simmo polycounter lvl 12
    Not to mention the author seems very active and open to suggestions for new procedural modules - there's a whole forum for what people would like to see (although it looks to be getting spammed right now :( ) Here's the suggestion thread: http://aarondabelow.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10

Great tool, will definitely come in handy for textures and sculpt bases especially!
  • fade1
    Offline / Send Message
    fade1 polycounter lvl 14
    i don't use MAX, but for me this looks like a nice tool as starting point for models. nice work!
    there is not a single reason to call this generic or useless and i think i'm allowed to say this with my 20 years in 3d.... ;)
  • Tili
    Offline / Send Message
    Tili polycounter lvl 7
    So what is the best way to scatter these objects around? Just use some physics simulation?
  • grimsonfart
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    Great tool. Used them to create my branches (twigs and leaves are one of the presets).

Btw, anyone noticed the insane spam on the website? Was going to request some features and woooooooooow almost fell backwards
  • tadpole3159
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    Tili wrote: »
    So what is the best way to scatter these objects around? Just use some physics simulation?
    http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/advanced-painter

its an oldie but a goodie
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    His board went down due to spam ;/

Excellent tool, tons of practical uses.

A*
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks great! I actually need something like this in my current project and will def. give it a shot.
  • kurt_hectic
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    I gave it a try. Script will have sense if library will contain ~50 truly adjustable assets. Then I could pay for it. Maybe use Houdini engine?

OuPQocL.jpg
    glWlvY5.jpg
  • TheOnlyAaron
    Hey guys, Aaron ( tool writer ) here.

I saw I was getting a bit of traffic from this thread so I stopped by to check it out, and say I am glad you guys are finding it useful.

I wouldn't have posted otherwise, but I saw that you were commenting on the forum, and the spam that I was getting, and it seemed to be a bit overwhelming. Just to let you know, I got it all under control, and cleaned up, so if you wanted to participate, I would welcome any feedback or suggestions you have to share. I'll also keep an eye on this thread as well. :)

kurt_hectic: You are right, some of the debris is based off of models, that are deformed or edited, but I tried to keep that to an absolute minimum, and the majority are completely procedural. The ones that start from geo are the bricks, leaves, and sub-components of the grass ( one grain, or one leaf ), otherwise everything starts from parametric primitives, and is completely procedural from there. :)

Let me know if anyone has any other feedback, and thanks for giving the script a shot!
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    I had to grab a 3dsmax trial just to give this a shot, and i gotta say its a great time saver.

my only suggestion would be more modules and control over the polycount for each one.
    Great job otherwise!
  • Steppenwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    Hey Aaron! Nice plugin you have there. Is there a way to put out some of the pieces that are based on particles as editable poly? I haven't found a way to convert them. That would make the plugin even more useful for game art creation. Those Crystals for example.
  • cw
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Aaron! Nice plugin you have there. Is there a way to put out some of the pieces that are based on particles as editable poly? I haven't found a way to convert them. That would make the plugin even more useful for game art creation. Those Crystals for example.

there is mesher compound object in max, you point it to the pflow and it creates a mesh which you can collapse and use thereafter in the normal way. :) Hope that helps