Home Technical Talk

Transparent in Maya, Why?

convolution223
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
convolution223 polycounter lvl 6
I checked: the object transparency is off and so are the x-ray options under "shader" in the viewport. Also, the normals are correct. I'm trying to model hair and it's impossible to make sure there's no clipping with this transparency. It looks like this:

ScreenShot2014-08-11at31235PM.png

ScreenShot2014-08-10at115032AM.png

Please help. This is so unbelievably frustrating.

Replies

• rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Turn on polygon transparency sorting (right below object transparency sorting). Or switch to a material that doesn't have any transparency.
  • alfalfasprossen
    probably the texture you use on your character connected its out alpha into the transparency of the shader, creating a shader that needs transparency sorting though there is no transparency that you want to have? disconnect the transparency slot in your shader.
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube wrote: »
    Turn on polygon transparency sorting (right below object transparency sorting). Or switch to a material that doesn't have any transparency.

Tried to do that- "polygon transparency sorting" is unselectable (darker grey than the other options and can't click on it).
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    probably the texture you use on your character connected its out alpha into the transparency of the shader, creating a shader that needs transparency sorting though there is no transparency that you want to have? disconnect the transparency slot in your shader.

I tried deleting the reference to the diffuse texture in the transparency option, but that also deleted the reference to the file in the color option too so the model just appeared black. I tried changing materials, however, and the transparency was fixed, but the second I added the texture file under "color," it becomes transparent (and textured).
  • DooDee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By deleting the reference, you mean you deleted the file in the hypershade? If so. just right click on Transparency in the Attribute Editor and click on break connection.
  • alfalfasprossen
    the material editor combines all shared attributes to one visual connection, you can right click it to seperate it i think.
    but the best option would be to use the attribute-editor, find the "transparency" attribute, right click "break connection" and then set the transpaerency back to 0 if it didn't do so by itself
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    Are you using viewport 2.0? Polygon transparency shouldn't be unselectable in normal mode. If you are using viewport 2.0 there are some 'Transparency Algorithm' choices in the renderer options and one of those might work better for you.
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm in viewport 2.0. But I did what alfalfasprossen said and that fixed it. Thanks! Not sure why this happened to begin with but I'll have to remember to break the connection by right-clicking next time.

Now if I can only solve the problem of the viewport turning completely black sometimes after I click on anything inside it. The blackness goes away once I click on anything in Maya after that. This started happening only recently. Probably something to do with the hardware :( but if anyone has any clue on that, please say so.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That connection happens automatically if the texture you're connecting has an alpha channel.

The whole viewport turns black? I haven't run across that, What hardware are you running? The viewport images you've posted would be huge if you didn't crop them (assuming that you've posted them at native resolution)
  • convolution223
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That connection happens automatically if the texture you're connecting has an alpha channel.

The whole viewport turns black? I haven't run across that, What hardware are you running? The viewport images you've posted would be huge if you didn't crop them (assuming that you've posted them at native resolution)

I didn't crop them, but I'm just on a macbook pro.

And will I have problems with the texture when I try to use it in Unreal 4? How do I make sure the texture doesn't have an alpha channel, if I create it in Xnormal (i used a PC for xnormal, i can easily switch to using the PC for modeling too, I just prefer the portability of the macbook)?