Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first Environment in a LONG time

manilamerc
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
manilamerc polycounter lvl 6
So I want to get into environment modeling and take a break from character modeling. I chose this concept and did some block outs. I chose to do something simple because I haven't touched environment modeling in maybe 2 or 3 years.

I'm trying to get my foot in the gaming industry and I always wanted to be a character modeler but a good amount of them said that they would have got in the industry earlier they started doing environments. Not sure your opinion on that but I have a thread all about that.

So back to the environment... is what I have a good start for this environment?

arQcjAT.jpg

TBKLjhD.jpg

Final:

9ALutel.jpg

Replies

• Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Just because there are more positions for env modeling and it might be "easier" to land an entry level spot because of this... Does not make it any easier, I actually think in some ways env modeling can be harder. You have to make an entire world believable, rather than just fit a single model into a world. Attention to detail is key.

You have a decent block out going, watch proportions, yours feels a little cramped compared to the bigger space the concept is trying to portray. Match the camera angle and save it as a camera in your 3D package (looks like Max) and jump back to it to cross reference your concept.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r wrote: »
    Just because there are more positions for env modeling and it might be "easier" to land an entry level spot because of this... Does not make it any easier, I actually think in some ways env modeling can be harder. You have to make an entire world believable, rather than just fit a single model into a world. Attention to detail is key.

You have a decent block out going, watch proportions, yours feels a little cramped compared to the bigger space the concept is trying to portray. Match the camera angle and save it as a camera in your 3D package (looks like Max) and jump back to it to cross reference your concept.

I get what you mean about environment modeling. But If you read my thread about "Character modeler switch to Environment modeler" a few character modelers lean to the fact that I should quit character modeling for now. I need an interview soon... I may decide going back to character but for now I want to try environment modeling and see how I like it.

As for the block out I do feel it is a bit more cramped. But I do not know any other way to put it. Maybe the concept's perspective is off? Maybe my camera in the viewport? I do know that 3ds max makes perfectly straight boxes and trying to make the correct view seems really hard at the moment. If you look at the wall where the door is It seems I followed placement correctly... the yellow model is supposed to be 6ftman in case you were wondering.

But what do I know? I'm a beginner, Just wanted to share my thoughts
  • xalener
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xalener polycounter lvl 5
    Well, there is much more space between the door and the oxygen tanks (?) In the concept.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Draw perspective lines. They will help you greatly.
  • B_Korth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B_Korth polycounter lvl 8
    For me the man seems a little big in the scene. It feels like that work bench would end up just above his knees which would feel awkward.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok i updated the screen. I used a camera for the shot and I tweaked some proportions. Better no?

49rQyAw.jpg
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if this could help but if you have some realistic units in your scene you can use a biped human and put him on that stool in the back and around the scene to see how that looks (it's easy to pose). 1,75 meters tall or something like that.

Also, the wall on the right looks curved to me, not sure it's lens distortion or something else.

You're using Max matching perspective feature, right?
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In that shot I'm using a camera for the angle. The yellow box is supposed to be a man. I want this to be in UDk and I used a tutorial to find out the units for the yellow box
  • dr grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manilamerc wrote: »
    In that shot I'm using a camera for the angle. The yellow box is supposed to be a man. I want this to be in UDk and I used a tutorial to find out the units for the yellow box

I was referring to this http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/ENU/3ds-Max-Help/index.html?url=files/GUID-CA74469E-9320-4801-B3F0-B4E00461689C.htm,topicNumber=d30e522273

Regarding the yellow box it doesn't have knees or a waist. A biped is also easy to pose, you don't need it to have 10 fingers but having a figure sitting on the stool and at various places will make it easier for you to wrap your head around the scale. But it's entirely up to you, really.

Good Luck!
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How do you guys go about modeling those smoother edges? I know there is a chamfer button but do you guys model that for the final in game prop? Or do you use normals? Just an curious question....

and for the bars near the ceiling... would you guys go about making it look transparent with a single plane? Or model each bars separately?

btw this is for in game next gen

niVvbhH.jpg
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Trusts on the ceiling, I would model them since player can observe it from many angles. I would only use planes for things player will only see at 1 angle.

I'll only chamfer hero assets, something significant enough to the story or part of the puzzle that players will need to get up close. Nothing else.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Depending upon the viewing angles, you could probably get away with doing the trusses as boxes with the webbing as an alpha mask, but do you need to? I really can't see them taking more than 400 polys, and you could reasonably cut that down to a bit over 100 without losing too much detail.

Even if you have a limited budget, keep in mind that you'll be trading relatively cheap polygons for a more expensive texture if you plan to use an alpha mask - even if you tile the texture across the span.

If you're really going for 'next-gen', then your scene budget should easily be in the 2-4 MILLION polygon range. At that point, you don't even need to cheat when modelling the chain hoist.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    would you guys model all the piping? particularly the wall where the door is. (this is for next gen)
  • Derbyshire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Derbyshire polycounter lvl 4
    Personally I would model the piping as the player will be able to see the piping along the walls when standing by the door, if its just a texture it wouldn't even be viewable from that angle.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How would you guys plan this out? There is a lot of duplicating and modifying with the pipes, cylinder like objects and the steel bars on the ceiling. When it is time to texture would you guys just model one piece, unwrap it, texture it, and duplicate it? Seems like the most reasonable and it is what i did in the past.

For the steel bars on the ceiling for example... I duplicated the thinner bars in between the thick ones. When it is time to texture It seems I would first

model just one thin bar
    unwrap it
    texture it
    duplicate it into the position the concept shows

Am I modeling too much right now? Should I just go into texturing and duplicate and place where it needs to be?
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New Update

also look at my earlier post. ( the one with just words) I want to know how you guys do it

Kjq3Syz.jpg
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    proportions seem ok?
  • Atokal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atokal polygon
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    It's looking pretty good so far!

I personally like texturing as I go, as it prevents that horrible feeling of having 50 thousand things to unwrap at once in the end.

Although I've seen plenty of other people hold off until the very end so I guess it's up to you. That and whether or not you plan on doing high poly models and normal baking or doing all of your work in photoshop/ndo2/zbrush sculpted tileable textures or whatever will probably influence your decision as well.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick wrote: »
    It's looking pretty good so far!

I personally like texturing as I go, as it prevents that horrible feeling of having 50 thousand things to unwrap at once in the end.

Although I've seen plenty of other people hold off until the very end so I guess it's up to you. That and whether or not you plan on doing high poly models and normal baking or doing all of your work in photoshop/ndo2/zbrush sculpted tileable textures or whatever will probably influence your decision as well.

When you texture stuff as you go do you cramp as much props into one UV map? Because there is some small objects some big in my scene. It would be a waste If I used one small object prop for a whole UV map. I'm just curious how you go about doing that
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Im not sure 100% what you're getting at but your larger props can be 1024 maps and your small props could be 512 maps to keep texture density roughly even across the scene (4 512 maps in 1 1024).
  • AutoExit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AutoExit polycounter lvl 9
    Hi, i like your work. Are you going to model a circular element on the floor or are you going to just texture it on a plane? For what are pipes are you thinking about make them modular? One time i have seen something like this:

gdc2013pipes.png
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ AutoExit As for the circular shape on the floor I am not yet sure If I should texture it or model it. Those pipes show seem like a smart way to do it. I'm planning to use a texture sheet. I may do what you told me though.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would you guys use normal maps for piping? or is diff and spec fine?
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When would you need a normal map? My pipes currently have a diff and a spec. and they look fine.

I'm specifically talking about the cylinder shape objects in the concept. How would I bake out the basic shape of the object. Would I need a high poly and a low? Do I even need to? What are your thoughts?
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hey, you can probably just use 12 sided cylinders without a normal map unless there is a lot of detail on there.

You may as well give it a try. Make (2) 12 sided cylinders. Bake a high poly cylinder (however many sided) to one of them and just soften normals on the other. Then decide if it's worth it.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    If a particular piece really doesn't need a normal map than there's no rule that says you need to have one for the sake of having one just because the other props in the scene do.

Normal maps are basically just there to add in detail that would be otherwise too expensive to have modeled as actual geometry in real time. Having one that basically adds nothing to the piece would only take up more memory and a larger file size. It also depends on if there's details small enough that you still want to be affected by the lighting like subtle rust and scratches/bolts, but close enough in viewing to the supposed player/camera so you can actually see those details.

So yeah it's your call dude :D
  • oxygencube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oxygencube polycounter lvl 8
    Nice start. I'm working on a my first environment as well and the feedback/suggestions you get will be really helpful for me too. Sub'd.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update so far: and more to come

fWJ1sY6.jpg
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    update:

i put it in UDk

QxSpUmN.png

rUoeAjN.png
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure what I should do with the floor... I'm talking about the gold circle thing in the middle. Texture it or model it?

What are my pros cons etc. What do you guys think?

gEW1488.jpg

1hNuDmF.jpg
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    I would say model it, seeing as its a fairly big part of the scene
  • Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    manilamerc wrote: »
    Would you guys use normal maps for piping? or is diff and spec fine?

It depends on what you want to use the Normal map for. If you're using the Normal map purely to smooth out the cylinder then don't bother, just add more sides to it. A few more edge loops to smooth it is cheaper than loading a normal map.

If however you are going to stuff like rust on it using a normal map then you could bake down a high poly to smooth it. :)
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    IF you havent yet, i'd model the floor piece, seems like a big part.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just used NDO and DDO to make the floor as you can see above. You're talking about the gold circle thing right?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you notice your own room right now, or other rooms in the world, the floor tends to NOT share the same material as the walls in MOST western houses.

That being said, the floor could use a different material.
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True... maybe a different concrete texture? The concept seems to show a concrete material similar to the one on the floor that's why had the same texture as the wall
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    It looks reflective.. look how the copper parts can be seen on the floor.. maybe something ceramic, smooth stone floor, marble or similar
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    have not changed the wall texture yet but just added more meshes

Isr2WE8.jpg
  • AutoExit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AutoExit polycounter lvl 9
    This looks very well, i'd love to see the finish result :)
  • toco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    toco polycounter lvl 4
    wow! very nice!
  • EmperorAquaman
    This is coming along nicely from your initial piece. Cant wait to see more!
  • manilamerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • qwedeath
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    qwedeath polycounter lvl 9
    wow!
    Really good, keep it up!
  • Chantel-sky
    Options