Home Contests & Challenges Archives UT Master Challenge: Concept Art

UTMC - Obsolete

LandSknecht
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
LandSknecht polycounter lvl 5
Obsolete would be a map set on a cluster of garbage propelled into a decaying orbit around a cooling sun (hopefully this dim sun could also serve to soften the light on metal reflection). Entirely automated, Obsolete would also probably fall within the derelict facility set as newly produced Liandri compacting equipment cube and stack bricks of outdated or otherwise irreparable equipment (mining machinery, tournament causalities, etc.), lifting off, as would be seen in the skybox, just as the metal of these moon-sized cubes start to glow from the heat.

These are some initial scenes to kick off the work-in-progress thread, though I hope to at least form some sort of FPS minded architecture out of the cubes; Mayan pyramids, middle-eastern ziggurats, whatever. [edit: Trying to fit in junk sculpture based architecture as well.] I'd also like to put in some industrial sized conveyor belts as seen in scrapyards or open faced mines. To cut down on the design clutter that a bunch of incongruous pieces of metal might cause, I'm also considering solar panels along pathways (playing off the sun a bit) to both minimize visual distraction as well as power the compacting equipment that's preparing the cube for entry into the sun.

First:

4XUeH9c.png

Second:

UeChnjb.png

Replies

• LandSknecht
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried to go loose with this one without being indecipherable. I figure each brick would be separated by a season or generation of technology as Liandri combatants never get too old. Devestation, for example, was brand new during UC2. [Edit: Timestamping doesn't appear to work for links. 14:45 for Devastation, or just watch the whole thing, it's great.]

uLfVQUL.jpg
  • FirebornForm
    Man it's a harsh restriction that people can't team up because I think you have some of the most creative ideas out there but your execution/technical skill/rendering doesn't match up. I love this one, and the geode but it makes me sad that your concepts never get past a rough sketch of an idea.

Maybe after the contest is over you can team up with someone to try to see at least one of your concepts realized. The contest over here at polycount is hosted by Epic but there's nothing stopping the community from taking your concept and making it in the game themselves.

Even though your concepts are really "too rough" I would still include all of them into the finals just because your ideas are so good. Don't just give up and not submit anything because you feel like it might not be refined enough.
  • LandSknecht
    Offline / Send Message
    [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Obsolete[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]Obsolete would be a map set on a cluster of garbage propelled into a decaying orbit around a cooling sun (hopefully this dim sun could also serve to soften the light on metal reflection). Entirely automated, Obsolete would also probably fall within the derelict facility set as newly produced Liandri compacting equipment cube and stack bricks of outdated or otherwise irreparable equipment (mining machinery, tournament causalities, etc.), lifting off, as would be seen in the skybox, just as the metal of these moon-sized cubes start to glow from the heat.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://i.imgur.com/4XUeH9c.png[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://i.imgur.com/uLfVQUL.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]http://i.imgur.com/PK4HcBg.png[/FONT]