Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Topology help

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys. I been modeling this character for the past couple of days. I'm trying to learn my topology on my human anatomy. The topology doesn't seem to flow well. Need some advice on trying to fix this. I can't quite figure to get a ring around the deltoid area. His legs as well as his arms still seem to be edges just to create the silhouette. It feels like there's no real definition of muscle in him. Is there something wrong with the way I'm building this model. My goal for this is to make sure it can be animated. Any hints and tip is appreciated. Thanks.

002_zps626d792c.png001_zps92212579.png

Replies

• Dustinmaertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dustinmaertz polycounter lvl 7
    When modeling human anatomy something you need to keep in mind is the muscle groups. Make sure to have a good anatomy book on hand. I will leave a link to my site where I have a couple pics of a male torso I modeled by hand and posed in Zbrush.

Anatomy books
    Artistic Anatomy "This book has some amazing images in the back of the book"
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Artistic-Anatomy-Dr-Paul-Richer/dp/0823002977"]Artistic Anatomy: Dr. Paul Richer, Robert Beverly Hale: 9780823002979: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist "Book I used in anatomy classes in school"
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Atlas-Anatomy-Artist-Stephen-Rogers/dp/0195030958/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z"]Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist: 9780195030952: Medicine & Health Science Books @ Amazon.com[/ame]

My Site
    www.Dustinmaertz.com
  • Soldier63
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I mean i'm not very good at sculpting, but i would try to model this mesh in mudbox/zbrush and then bring it back to maya for rigging :)
    Whish you everything best for your project! :)
  • AlphaMix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not entirely sure what your end project is going to be, but what I would do is start with the sculpt and worry about topology until the anatomy is right. Once you have all the shapes and muscles sculpted, you can retopologize the model by hand or just hit the Zremesh button

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xiCSw7LXew"]ZBrush 4R6 New Feature: ZRemesh ( No More Retepology ) - YouTube[/ame]
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been in and out of the programs. I love doing both. Guess I'm just getting side track doing scuplting then jumping to topology when it isn't done yet. Definitely need to sit down and focus. Thanks for all helps.
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Redid my topology on the front. It seems to flow better this time.

Body_zps62926f1b.png
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    hi, some of the polygon lines would depend on whether or not u are going to sculpt in zbrush. If this is purely a polygon sculpt then I would suggest some adjustments:

-U don't want the arm to stat of with such a spike
    - the loops around the abs should be reinforced
    - u need to look u anatomy references for the neck area...

teCcToy.png
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    If I were starting out and my current self could give my past self advice it would be to not worry about topology so much. The most important part is being able to sculpt the anatomy, it's near impossible to have good topology without having a very good understanding of human anatomy first. That is where I believe is causing you a lot of issues. The way you get that understanding is by sculpting or drawing it repeatedly.

I would suggest grabbing a default basemesh in zbrush and sculpting the anatomy (you can also just start from a sphere and use dynamesh). I generally don't worry about topology till I finish sculpting the model. I feel like given the advancements in technology (specifically zbrush) the workflow has changed with less emphases on getting the topology right before sculpting.
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    optimizing the flow of the topology before you get started in zbrush is a big part of getting good results, thinking about topology only at the last stage can get u into trouble
  • UltraLrod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I took everyone's advice on here and got a hold of zbrush. Started sculpting and not worry about the topology until I'm done with the sculpting. I even looked around pinterest and put together an anatomy board as well as got Rafael Grassetti video on design and anatomy on gumroad.

003_zps258c530b.png

004_zpse91c5192.png
  • ramibah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    try and work on the silhouette and proportions, nail that before you work on detailing. Good Luck!