Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK-Architecture_Visualisation_FPS_Walkthrough

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
johnnycrow3d polycounter lvl 8
Hi all,

My name is Johnny Crow and below you can notice a work in progress of a 3d architecture visualisation of my parents's house.

Waiting for your feedback (hard critiques preferably)...:)
[vv]97862184[/vv]
h1_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubt3.jpg
h2_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubtb.jpg
h3_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubtf.jpg
h4_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubtq.jpg
h5_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubu3.jpg
h6_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubu9.jpg
h7_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubuc.jpg
h8_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubue.jpg
h9_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubuj.jpg
h10_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubun.jpg
h11_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubus.jpg
h12_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubv2.jpg
h13_by_johnnycrow3d-d7lubv9.png

Replies

• ultramedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia polycounter lvl 11
    Nice modelling and texturing, but the lighting doesn't feel right to me (i.e. the interiors are brighter than the exteriors).
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    I second ultra, the lighting could use a lot of work.
  • johnnycrow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultramedia wrote: »
    Nice modelling and texturing, but the lighting doesn't feel right to me (i.e. the interiors are brighter than the exteriors).

My main goal was to model and texture the house (plus other assets) and to create a small level in UDK for visualisation, so lighting wasn't my main concern. However I worked a lot on creating UV layouts for lightmap :D. I know that a level without good lighting can be ruined, but in this case I really don't want to spend extra time for improving my lighting techniques.
    Thank you both of you for your reply!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I know that a level without good lighting can be ruined, but in this case

I'd really suggest you do the lighting. Why have a piece that is 90% complete? That's just going to hurt your portfolio. If you spend maybe a full week on lighting you could have something that looks a LOT better without a ton of extra work.

You even have the lightmap UVs done. May as well just push it through all the way and make it look awesome.:thumbup:
  • johnnycrow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni lighting was rebuilt...
    I just rotated a little bit the dominant directional light and the problem with that plat lighting was solved. Plus I checked cast shadows in light proprieties of all point lights from interior of the building.

I've made some modifications to this 3d architectural visualisation of my parents's house and I decided to create my first demo reel.

You can take a look and write your review here:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k6uLHPGkhXlw9P8idb4
    p1_by_johnnycrow3d-d7pidfq.png

p2_by_johnnycrow3d-d7pidfm.png

break1_by_johnnycrow3d-d7pidc0.png

break2_by_johnnycrow3d-d7pidci.png

break3_by_johnnycrow3d-d7piddg.png
  • allknighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allknighter polycounter lvl 5
    windows
    lighting
    markings

okay. like mentioned by others, the lighting needs some work. it looks really fake and bland lightingwise. It needs more shadow. Thats what i meant before the new posts just now. It looks soo much better. though there still is something. maybe you need to crank up the bump on the cemented surfaces of the house. it dies out with the high contrast wood.
    I noticed in your demo that the windows are very bumpy. Ofc. windows dont have flat reflections. but it looks too much on your house. you should tone that down to maybe 70-50% of what you have.
    and ive noticed how the markings on the wood are very low quality. you should consider upping the texture quality of that.

other than that. it looks pretty good;)
  • Jeffrotull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeffrotull polycounter lvl 3
    If you're going to show the inside I would really suggest some prop work, I think the empty rooms kind of take away from the quality a bit, the inside's just too bland. From the outside everything looks pretty good but I agree with everything allknighter said.
  • johnnycrow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the moment I'll leave this project as it is.
    As for the interiors there's no goal to create content (props) for all those rooms, because it will take me some time. Preferably I'll start working on other projects.

I also want to try Cryengine 3 because it has a simpler lighting technique (dynamic lighting probably) and as I understood there's no need for creating lightmaps.

However until I'll show you other assets you can take a look at my personal portfolio here:
    http://johnnycrow3d.wix.com/3dmodeler