Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ScottMichaelH portfolio critique take 3

ScottHoneycutt
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
http://scottmichaelh.cgsociety.org

Above is the link to my current gallery. This will my third time posting a portfolio here on Polycount, with the most recent time being this past February. It's been around 6.5 years since I first started applying for game art jobs. I've learned a lot, been up, down, left, right, on, off, given up, come back, given up, come back, lost focus, refocused, changed specializations multiple times, you name it :poly142: . I've re-made this gallery in the year 2014. Feel free to comment as you wish but some of my primary thoughts are:

1) How close am I away from "good enough" to be employed in games? Could I have an honest assessment of whether this is "any good"?

2) All galleries are different. How am I doing in terms of minimum requirements in a portfolio? While meaning to sounds as professional as possible, I am exhausted :poly114b: I should have probably made some of these pieces much smaller objects to fill the gallery out faster as I learned. Should I make one or two really simple objects real quick to fill the gallery out? The thing is ... some galleries are full environments only , some props/weapons/vehicles only, and I have a combination.

3) I unfortunately don't have PBR software at the moment.

4) My next piece is an exterior building that will be diffuse only. I definitely need some natural elements in the next one after that (grass, trees, rocks, water, bushes, sand, etc)

5) Is it OK to keep the single high res image on there?

Some quality comments:

a) The mech is the oldest piece. The normal isn't even really showing (didn't know about UDK LOD groups ... or the green channel issue). Didn't know about light maps either.

b) The gun's spec map isn't good and I didn't know at the time how to set a render up well (the purple sphere isn't self illuminating and it's hurting the lighting on the gun ... which I built after placing the sphere right up against it.

c) The door is my probably my favorite piece but I can't stand the small painted details on the top-corner metal shapes. The Unity lighting isn't grand.

d) The hard drive with these projects on them just died. I'm looking into the possibility of getting them off of it but I can't for the time being.

Replies

• joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Get a real portfolio site, the advertisements and all the other random stuff is annoying.
    There currently isn't even a easily downloadable cv (and looking at my site, yes people do download those things) or link to linkedin.

There are a lot of resources here on polycount (from making a site to what webhosting to pick) in case you need some help on that.
    I unfortunately don't have PBR software at the moment.

Why?
    UE4 you can get with a one time payment of 20dollar.
    Toolbag has a extended trial untill the end of the polycount contest
    same for dDo, it is even in free/open beta, and has been for some weeks now. (it has a good previewer)
    And besides that, I have seen a couple of smaller programs/shaders that are free.

If your goal is to go for "next-gen/realistic" work/games than not having touched this is going to be a real downside soon.
    My next piece is an exterior building that will be diffuse only. I definitely need some natural elements in the next one after that (grass, trees, rocks, water, bushes, sand, etc).

Looking at your portfolio it isn't completely clear what you really want to do, I would advise against expanding that even more with handpainted/diffuse work.

should have probably made some of these pieces much smaller objects to fill the gallery out faster as I learned. Should I make one or two really simple objects real quick to fill the gallery out?

A small amount (let's say 3) of really good work > filling out a gallery.
    This might also answer the other question(s):

I think you need to take a step back for a moment, and not try to "just make work" just to get some more pieces.
    Just sit back for a moment, don't worry about getting a job, get a whole bunch of screenshots from games you would want to work on, portfolio's from people you look up to, and just look at where the quality of that is compared to yours and try to make a list of things to improve on.
    And for your next work, just go all out, try to figure out what to improve on, if you don't what that is or how, go get to know people.
    Ask more feedback, (I'm guessing you don't do this enough, because there are some things here and there that people would have certainly mentioned), polycount threads aren't always the best, because of the high volume of work passing trough every day, so get to know some people you can ask for help.

"The gun's spec map isn't good"

I think the dead space door and the bunker were done later then the gun, but I personally don't see any difference or improvement between those, it's still just a desaturated diffuse map with one single value, just now everything is more of a mid grey instead of white.
    Wich also kind of tells you don't really don't have a grasp on material definition, so try to work on that.
    And that in turn will help you get proper/good results with pbr.

So just be more diligent overall, the way you phrased the PBR thing and you are only using diffuse+spec, tells me you haven't really been keeping up with changes over the last 2 years.

And to end it, this isn't meant to just break you down, I just saw some things you could improve to really up your chances and or to expand the range of possible company's. (now that would probably be more limited to smaller/mobile games).
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Seconding everything joeriv said, putting some emphasis on this bit:
    Get a real portfolio site, the advertisements and all the other random stuff is annoying.
    There currently isn't even a easily downloadable cv (and looking at my site, yes people do download those things) or link to linkedin.

There are a lot of resources here on polycount (from making a site to what webhosting to pick) in case you need some help on that.
    I visited the site on my phone this morning, almost clicked on an ad and immediately just closed the tab because I couldn't be bothered. You don't want a potential employer to do the same.

At least get an Artstation if you're really set on not making your website in full. There's no ads, and the layout is responsive and clean. I'd suggest avoiding Wix or Weebly unless you're willing to pay a premium to get the ads removed and a custom domain working; it looks super unprofessional if you don't.

I've seem some people use Portfolio-specific Tumblr themes with a custom domain, that generally works well, too, and is one of the better cheap/free + Easy options. Be prepared to spend time digging on theme hunting blogs for a good theme for portfolios, though; none of the default listed ones will look professional. There'll always be small problems with either of these options, though.

I suggest, personally, learning to code and making a super simple, barebones, art-and-CV-upfront website that's suited to your own needs, but not everyone knows HTML/CSS/Javascript nor really has the time to learn, so that one's up to you.

Also, do yourself a favor and at least read up on PBR.
    And there are PBR shaders for maya and max around, too, so don't think it's absolutely hopeless.
    I do think that you should either get some work in on UE4 ($20 a month, but you can pay once and keep the bulk of the features as long as you dont keep making a commercial game with it, and you get to say you have experience in Unreal Engine 4, too), use the Quixel Suite Beta for a while to at least get the experience in the PBR pipeline (even if you can only show screenshots of 3Do until you can get an Engine or Renderer), or just straight up buy Toolbag 2 ($130-ish, but badass portfolio pieces).

Make it clear what you want to be employed for doing on your portfolio. Take more care with your prop renders; a flat color background rarely impresses.

Keep pushing for quality, not quantity.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I wouldn't just read up on PBR...do it. It's pretty much industry standard now and unless you are the top 10% of talent, you NEED to know this.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    BagelHero wrote: »
    At least get an Artstation if you're really set on not making your website in full. There's no ads, and the layout is responsive and clean. I'd suggest avoiding Wix or Weebly unless you're willing to pay a premium to get the ads removed and a custom domain working; it looks super unprofessional if you don't.

Yeah I agree currently there is no reason to not be using Artstation portfolios unless you have hosting and a custom website (which is the best option)

The only reason I am currently using an Artstation portfolio right now is because I am 16 and any hosting costs could be better spent going towards Zbrush or a new computer. When on the subject of money UE4 is only $20 once I have 4.1 and I have no plans to upgrade soon so there is not much reason to not get UE4.

Also Artstation is very fast
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    You should only being showing your best and most impressive work. A portfolio is not a place to show everything you have ever done. Save that for an art blog. It sounds like you know that there are issues with some of your pieces or that you can do a much better job now. That's good. You should completely replace those pieces with new ones that you feel best represents your current skill level. You should be constantly keeping your portfolio updated and replace your weakest pieces.

1. "good enough" definitely isn't what you should be aiming for. You make it sound as if once you get a job, that's it. You need to be in a constant state of mind of improving and bettering yourself. It's a never ending process (even after you get a job).

But to better answer your question, it looks like you know the basics which is good. I feel like you could push yourself further, most of your potential impressive pieces look unfinished. You also definitely need to improve on your texturing, lighting, and presentation. Your material definition could use some work as well.

2. There is no set number of pieces you have to have for a portfolio. Quality > quantity. If you're aiming to be an environment artist I would aim to have at least 2 - 3 environment scenes. You can add props or single objects as well. Just make sure they're really good and impressive, don't just add them to fill out your portfolio.

3. Why don't you have PBR software yet? It's out there and available. Your future competition has it and is currently learning it right now.

4. I would choose what style you want to work in and stick with improving in that style.

5. I really don't know what image you are talking about.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1) This didn't take long: http://www.artstation.com/artist/ScottMichaelH . The secondary images are still to come. With my hard drive dead I will have to grab them from my old portfolio.

2) I was confused about UE4 being either a one-time fee or a subscription service. The website seemed clear to me that it was a subscription service of $19/mo. It sounds like (from BagelHero) you can download it, cancel the service but then still use it for what I need for free?

3) I've been told that it is essential to have the final portfolio piece shown in game editor. However, I have seen quite a bit of portfolios with Marmoset renders. Thoughts?

4) To make a long story short, I'm researching almost as much as I'm doing. The Polycount Wiki and stickies alone have so much to go over in a short amount of time. I've gone through so much with seemingly endless amount to go. Definitely thanks for the push on that matter to help me prioritize with so much information to process. Once I get my PC up and running again (hard drive) I will look into UE4 and PBR more seriously.

Here are my biggest return questions:
    joeriv wrote: »
    Looking at your portfolio it isn't completely clear what you really want to do, I would advise against expanding that even more with handpainted/diffuse work.
    Make it clear what you want to be employed for doing on your portfolio.
    Tobbo wrote: »
    4. I would choose what style you want to work in and stick with improving in that style.

This is a huge curveball to me. I was under the impression that I needed to show that I can do more than only only type of style, be versatile, fit in to any team, etc. Insomniac in Burbank has always sounded like my "dream job", but realistically the chances of that happening specifically are small, so I should make a portfolio of great, versatile work. That way, if my work is good enough, there will be several places that will want me. I heard a lecture at one point from a lighting artist at Pixar who showed us his Gnomon portfolio. It was 3 pieces of really dark, brooding sic-fi, horror-ish environment lighting. It was great work, so despite not being Toy Story, it got him the job.

I suppose like a lot of aspiring game artists I want to work at big companies, make AAA titles, be where the action is at, the big bucks (sarcasm) etc. As a fan of games and art, I prefer old school games and bright, colorful art styles (as opposed to making everything gray-brown and desaturated). Its natural to want to make a personal piece of something you "like" to keep your interest up. This way you assert your individuality while still making good work. Its a compromise to some extent. The Mass Effect gun for example ... I never played the game, but the gun concept was very detailed, cool, challenging, and its a recent game that would be something i would want to work on myself. The Bunker was NOT something I would have chosen myself but was a part of the monthly challenge last month (June). There is a lot of realistic and military stuff in games these days. Any thoughts at all? I've thought about maybe taking the "current gen looks" and applying it to. Maybe taking animes and cartoonish environments and doing highly detailed PBR treatments.

My modeling skills are much better than my texturing skills. Diffuse only is more artistically attractive to me but it doesn't sound like either a good sell of my skills or a more stable career path as PBR seems to be where most of the jobs will be (correct me if I'm wrong). Where do you draw the line? How narrow or versatile should it be? What is it about my current gallery that says I don't know what I want to do specifically?

I'll post again soon with a couple more points ... there is al lot of great advice here and I don't want to miss the opportunity to connect with you all ...

Thanks
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    1) Yay! Yeah, they're still letting most- if not all -people sign up. :)
    When you configure the pages for your website, make some galleries; Environment and Prop seem like a good starter for you. Make sure you go and edit your images to be ticked as what category they belong to.

This will allow you, when you have some more pieces, to make your main page clutter-free by showing only one or the other, or even to hide some pieces altogether.
    Mine is sorted into Newest Pieces, 3D, 2D and Old. So, I can prioritize what I show first on my site, what pages they show on and whether or not they show up at all in the case of "Old".

Of course, you mightn't be such a neat freak, which is fine too. Just know the ability to do it is there. :D

2)
    That's right. They left it kind of a grey area, but so far the only restrictions of just cancelling the subscription would be updates and source code access, I believe.

On point #3, Toolbag is still a real time renderer; in laymans terms, it's a stripped down game engine itself, with the gameplay and animation removed in favour of having really nice (and simple) rendering/shader setup.

The point is not only that it be presented in-game, but just to show that it can be run in realtime. Look good in-game, too.
    So it's a quick way of making something that just looks good, but is clearly functional.

And #4...

Part of what I posted was actually just something a little more personal; you don't want to show something you dislike doing, because there's always a chance someone will hire you to do only that. Especially if they see that you're okay at doing it. If you don't like brown and desaturated color schemes, don't do them. Or do them to challenge yourself, but try to get them to be fun and appealing to you via other elements.
    Hell, those companies might even give you a chance because they like that you have something different to add to the mix. After all, if everyone else who applied has a portfolio aimed specifically at "brown and desaturated", you might just stand out.

But generally, these days it's less valued to be a generalist (or so I keep hearing)!
    Companies are bigger. There are more artists per team. Someone with strong skills in a few areas are still valued, but less so than in the case of a very small team.

It comes across as more of a mixed message than "Look at all of these things I'm good at!", so unless you're a master of all trades (as opposed to a master of one or two but jack of 23 others, like most people), it's better to just focus on the one or two things you're very good at and really want to do. Usually it'll be some combination of of similar fields or things that go hand in hand like Characters/Props, or Environments/Props, Hardsurface/Shaders, Environments/Tech Art, Production Art/Characters...

If you want to be an environment artist, show a bunch of well optimised and attractive scenes, with some modularity breakdowns if you can. By all means, if you know you can, you'll have fun, and it challenges you, put in different styles of scene (fantasy, hyper-realistic, cityscape, stylised), but don't then go on to also do guns, small props, a not-so-great character and a mech. Put those things on a blog, and keep your main page relevant and focused.
    And if you know you can't do a texture in a style of a scene you want to do, keep it on the blog only until you have the skills to do it up to portfolio quality.

tl;dr
    It's better to show that you can do multiple things by presenting things you like to do, but that have obvious skills that overlap into different areas.
    Like the guy who showed 3 dark and brooding lighting schemes to Pixar; they knew from the expertise required to make those that he had the skills required for the job, even if it was in a different style.

Or, at least, that's my 2 cents. Someone more qualified can probably elaborate with more actual knowledge and less theoretics. :poly136:
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you need to take a step back for a moment, and not try to "just make work" just to get some more pieces.
    Just sit back for a moment, don't worry about getting a job, get a whole bunch of screenshots from games you would want to work on, portfolio's from people you look up to, and just look at where the quality of that is compared to yours and try to make a list of things to improve on.

I agree, thank you.
    And for your next work, just go all out, try to figure out what to improve on, if you don't what that is or how, go get to know people.
    Ask more feedback, (I'm guessing you don't do this enough, because there are some things here and there that people would have certainly mentioned), polycount threads aren't always the best, because of the high volume of work passing trough every day, so get to know some people you can ask for help.

This is the most important quote to me. I would LOVE to know HOW to do this! What do I do say, "Hey Joe, you don't know me but, what do you think of ________?" *shrug*
    "The gun's spec map isn't good"

I think the dead space door and the bunker were done later then the gun, but I personally don't see any difference or improvement between those, it's still just a desaturated diffuse map with one single value, just now everything is more of a mid grey instead of white.
    Wich also kind of tells you don't really don't have a grasp on material definition, so try to work on that.
    And that in turn will help you get proper/good results with pbr.
    I know this is true (material definition issues) because I've heard it before ... if only I could understand it lol ... But this is what I'm studying now. I look at it, know what it is, think it looks good, but then this critique is always what I get. The artistic eye is king.

And to end it, this isn't meant to just break you down, I just saw some things you could improve to really up your chances and or to expand the range of possible company's. (now that would probably be more limited to smaller/mobile games).

Yes :thumbup:
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    That is not an Artstation portfolio site. To get to this you need to go on My Artstation-->Manage pages. There you will get to add images and edit your portfolio. You can access your portfolio via the my website button in the My Artstation dropdown.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    That is not an Artstation portfolio site. To get to this you need to go on My Artstation-->Manage pages. There you will get to add images and edit your portfolio. You can access your portfolio via the my website button in the My Artstation dropdown.

Click the "View My Artstation" button
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.pinterest.com/scottmichaelh/3d-game-art-inspiration/

I have put together a Pinterest page today of game art I like/respect. They range from those I've played, haven't played, would love to work on, could never work on, colorful, realistic, etc. Some thoughts:

1) You can read the materials
    2) Consistent throughout these pics is good lighting
    3) The color, mood and story of the scene are the essential ingredients taking it further than "decent" or "OK". Without those three things, it loses my interest.

I feel that my gun can be done PBR without too much hassle and the door is worth a major PBR reworking. Not sure about the sword ... I will likely leave it as is. (I didn't hear anything much about it on this thread or the one I had while making it).

Any comments are welcome. I'd especially like to hear any advice about better networking skills and how to get more help. When you get past modeling, UV and bake process, the textures and light get placed quickly after, its done, no one says anything, and then you don't know if its good or bad until you post another portfolio crit thread.

Thank all again. :thumbup:
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Regarding the sword, It looks pretty good, and to be honest I'm leaning towards you keeping it. It's simple and polished.... But you'll need to present it better, I think. That plain light grey background does it no favors whatsoever.
    Get creative. Stick it in a stone or some dirt, or display it with better lighting (IBL or not) and with a more complimentary background (with a vignette to draw focus to the blade, maybe?)... Show it on a diagonal, with the fabric waving in the wind... Something more dynamic. Something that really makes it pop!
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I'm still not sure if I'm going to ever retrieve the files of my recently deceased PC hard drive, however my Deadspace Door was done mostly on my Macbook (because of prior PC issues, and explaining why its the same quality as the gun ... they were made at the same time on separate systems). Do you believe its worth redoing the materials on it with PBR? It would be a good way to start (with it already modeled and baked). Any specific crits on it?

ThreeRenders.jpg

Also how do I get Kodde's Maya shader installed?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://scottmichaelh.artstation.com/

I have made a new PBR environment (Balamb Garden) and remade both the door and gun with PBR. I am curious as to any new feelings towards my gallery as of now? :icon_question:
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    *whispers*
    Re-render that sword or get rid of it...

Like, at least give it a bit of a gradient or something, that mid-grey background will always bug me. But in reality, to really be up to scratch, it needs new lighting.

Your Cerberus M-13 Raptor could really use a better render, too. Needs AA and the lighting is pretty flat. I know you're capable of better, just look at the door and Balamb Garden (which turned out great). Right now while those look pretty snappy, the gun looks very... viewport-ish. Underwhelming. :( Go all out on that, too!

Still, worlds better than your old stuff. :) Keep it up, man.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *whispers*
    Re-render that sword or get rid of it...

Like, at least give it a bit of a gradient or something, that mid-grey background will always bug me. But in reality, to really be up to scratch, it needs new lighting.

Your Cerberus M-13 Raptor could really use a better render, too. Needs AA and the lighting is pretty flat. I know you're capable of better, just look at the door and Balamb Garden (which turned out great). Right now while those look pretty snappy, the gun looks very... viewport-ish. Underwhelming. :( Go all out on that, too!

Still, worlds better than your old stuff. :) Keep it up, man.

Admittedly, I asked about the sword back on its own thread, didn't get a response, realized that I had made the last 10 posts in a row on the thread, got nothing much on lunchcrunch, then decided to let it die. It's only there now because I'm afraid to go below 5 pieces. The reason the gun was displayed in Substance Painter was because I made it in the beta, which doesn't allow exporting the maps (so I couldn't move it out). I recently purchased it so I can possibly get to that now.

Thanks.
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    I'd recommend getting rid of the sword now, in that case. I think it's fine to go below five pieces at the rate and quality you're pumping them out for the moment. You'll replace it quickly, I'm sure, and at the moment you'd have a stronger portfolio with four pieces without the sword than five with it.
    Having it in there only creates this doubt, like "oh, wait, what if this is his usual quality and the other ones are just flukes?"... It's kinda scary having so few pieces, but quality over quantity really is the way to go here.

The substance painter stuff makes perfect sense. At some point it would be great if you could get it into UE4 and set it up, I reckon it would do it the justice it deserves pretty quickly.