Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Character Model

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Calv!n polycounter lvl 15
Programming an isometric ARPG with a friend. I've decided to attempt to model some assets myself so we can develop further.

Planning to just dump progress here as I go in hopes of getting some advice and crits from knowledgeable passer byes.

ic8dswW.jpg

Right now I'm working on the base character mesh. The back is currently still WIP. I plan to model a sword and some basic armor / clothing set once the base mesh is complete.

Replies

• rbong obong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rbong obong polycounter lvl 8
    are you going to make a high poly? if so using tris is not the best of ideas most basemeshs should be all quads.
  • Calv!n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No. Just planing to keep it simple for now and go with low poly and diffuse.
  • Calv!n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cleaned up the back and torso geometry.

3LqlGac.jpg
  • Calv!n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hands are turning out to be a lot more difficult than I had imagined. I tried to model the hands separately off of new refs and box modeling with turbosmoothing applied after blocking the general shape. The results weren't very good and got pretty frustrated and deleted and started over about 4-5 times on that method.

Got fed up and finally just extruded the polys at the wrists and eyeballed it in perspective view and just kept pushing and pulling verts.

Anyone have any pointers on modeling the hands? I'll probably leave them for a bit and go to the feet.
    hands.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    You might want to get rid of polygons with more than 4 sides by dividing them into quads and tris.
  • Ser Thomas of PlumTree
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ser Thomas of PlumTree polycounter lvl 2
    the topology is pretty good, but has a few dodgy areas. The crotch for example needs a lot of work with both the shape and the topology.
    Also if this is going to deform and be rigged at any point you will want a higher concentration of loops around deforming areas (elbows, shoulders, knees) that sort of thing. these areas will also need smoother loops as well.

Hope this helps a bit
  • Calv!n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips EmAr and Ser Thomas of PlumTree!

fNkN7VZ.jpg

Haven't had much time this past week, but I was able to finally sit down today and re-work the problem areas: shoulder, thighs, elbow and knee joints, crotch. I tried to clean up the feet and smooth the legs a bit.

Head is still WIP, and I keep putting off the hands because I dread working on them...
  • Calv!n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still need to correct the hands and make finger joints deformation friendly.

vkPvIvd.jpg