Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Violet

stevston89
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
stevston89 interpolator
So I decided recently that my interest lie more with stylized pieces than realistic pieces. I have finished all of my stylized pieces where my realistic pieces I always lose interest/steam midway through the project. With that in mind I decided to go ahead and do something super stylized. I am also learning to loosen up and do more sketchy work in Zbrush.

I am basing this character off of a concept by Max Gonzalez aka beezul.

Here is the concept and a few WIP shots:

porp.jpg

Tasj7Fm.jpg

wzi2mvc.jpg

Replies

• Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Whoa, I'm a big fan of this style! This is looking great.
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is looking great so far! Love the retro space theme you are going with! Im a huge fan of clunky/ retro technology :D There are a few things taht stand out to me about the head and profile that i think can improve graetly with a quick paintover. If you want I'll knock out a profile sketch for ya to show ya. The mass of the head needs some tweaking in the back and the jaw also seems like it could be a bit more round as well.
    Ill show ya what i mean when i get a sec today :D
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Fun stuff man! I think you can push it just a tad further...slightly larger eyes and feet. just my 10 cents...
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ beezul -Glad you like it so far. That would be awesome! I was struggling with the profile when I started it. I am still not very happy with it so any help would be great.

@ Slosh - I will take another look at everything and push it a bit more. Haven't made something quite this stylized before so I probably haven't pushed it as much as I could.
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made the face a bit rounder in some places and also shortened the neck just slighty.
    also be careful with how those ears connect to the head. they look like they are pulled out from the cheeks a bit too much. try scalign them up slighty and making sure they connect to the side of the head a little better :D
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ beezul - Thanks a ton that paint over helped a lot! I am not sure if you intended on a shaved head in the back, but I like it so I am gonna go with it.

Here is a small update. I fixed up the head and exaggerated some of the forms a bit more. Still figuring out the design. Everything is rough right now. I still need to retopo all of the hard surface stuff when I finish up the design.

wazojIR.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Love it! I actually think the 3D version looks better then the 2D, wich is unusual for styalized stuff. good job :)
    agree with beezuls paint over though, the side view looked a bit funky.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    compared to the concept i think you've got wayt too much detail going on in the boobs area, keep it simple. not 2 individual boobs are seen in the concept but just 2 masses, breasts and torso and even in my overpaint the line beteween torso and breasts could be much better blended

swimsuit.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ lotet - Thanks man! Yeah I hope that the changes I made make the profile look better.

@ Neox - I am not really sticking to the concept for the armor at all really, but I do agree. I am struggling because I really want to keep the nice curve from the side when I smooth that area too much. I will do what I can to define that area less.
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    love the changes you made so far! For the torso area, i would be cautious about using so many hard staight angles i nthe space suit design. you dont want to make her look to stiff :D loving it so far. ill give me feedback whens its further along
  • KazeoHin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KazeoHin polycounter lvl 8
    Super cute! Keep this going!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Beezul - Yeah I am sort of struggling with how much armor I want to put on currently. I will watch out for the stiffness.

@ KazeoHin - Thanks!

Small update again. Been pretty hectic for me lately. Just got back from a job interview and I am about to start an art test for another job application so I likely won't have a ton of time to work on this, but here is an update.

I started blocking in some more armor and fleshing out the undersuit. I like the way it's going. I am thinking about adding a big power glove to her left arm. Still have to toy around with the design for that. Also still need to clean up the hard surface stuff. Also I addressed the boob plate area and made the transition there a lot smoother. ( Thanks for the suggestion Neox!)

Crits are welcome :)

cnoHauM.jpg
  • tragische
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is perfect)))
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @tragische - Thanks!

Ok so I think I am done with the design. I am going to start building out the base meshes for the hard surface stuff and then do detailing in Zbrush. Couple of things to note the thing on her back is a sheath for I knife I will eventually make. Also the thing on her wrist is a slot for an little AI buddy I am going to make for her. Will be sort of similar to the Ghosts in Destiny.

Would like to get some crits on this to see if I can make the design a bit better. Here is the latest:

vkrwvGq.jpg
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I'm really liking this, great work so far! I'm excited to see the finished product
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ Shiniku - Thanks!

Ok another update. Cleaned up all of the hard surface meshes. Moving on to detailing everything a bit more before I call the high poly done. As always feedback is welcome and much appreciated!

AxVPKkW.jpg
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    I really liked the way you posed her legs!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @felipealves - Thanks!

Ok so I think I am going to move on to the low poly. Not entirely pleased with the final sculpt, but I feel as though I have spent to much time on it. Here a couple of screens. Let me know if you have any feedback:

RaHy7E0.jpg

irSpMDJ.jpg
  • YakZSmelk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YakZSmelk polycounter lvl 11
    I'm really enjoying this character! It's always fun to see stylized characters outside of the 'Fantasy' genre and overly-stylized SciFi is my favorite. The suit/armor looks especially nice, are you working off of a concept?

Keep up the awesome work.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @ YakZSmelk - Thanks! No concept for the space suit just designing as I go.
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Ok so now I am done with the sculpt! I decided to go back and fix some things and give the head a proper polypaint. Much happpier with it now. Feedback is welcome!

7eAuyLp.jpg

FMX266U.jpg
  • ArtisticTiger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Really Turning out great man! super clean....i don't really have any crits, it's perfect.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    very cool style dude! I like it!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I think the back of the ears need to be defined a bit better.

I also don't know if you planned to do more with the hair, but if not, the back of the head definitely needs some love imho.

Otherwise the progress has been great!
  • beezul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW this is looking great!
    sorry for being afk so long. been super busy planning for trips etc.
    i really love what you;ve done with this. My only crit is that she should have an old school 70s sci fi blaster XD
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    @beezul - Thanks man! Lol I definitely have thought about adding a retro blaster. I have been quite busy as well sorting out work situations I am hoping to be able to start working on this again soon.
  • DiHydro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DiHydro polycounter lvl 6
    This is looking great!