Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Advice

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
N4meless greentooth
Hi all !

My name is romain lemaire, and i'm looking for some advice for my Portfolio and my work.

I'm french and i also want to know what language did you see on my project description, i made some kind of automatic language detection but i can't see it, i'm in France so it's in french :/

http://romainlemaire.fr/

thank you in advance

Replies

• OneLastPoly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi N4meless,

I am visiting the site from the UK and I have all text in English, although on the resume page the image appears broken (viewing in Chrome).

You have some nice work but it seems to take a while to see any of it. In my opinion you should have your 'Game Project' section as the default page (so people can see the work as soon as they arrive) and show your best work first (for me would be your Tavern, Halo Com's tower and the hand painted weapons).

Just my thoughts, I'm no expert, I just hope that helps in some way!
  • OctoKube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OctoKube polycounter lvl 2
    hi, im seeing english all over the place so i guess your language detection works, im not much of an environment expert so i can u any constructive feedback on that.
  • Soldier63
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will bring you a little bit of critic to your video, if you want to:
    1:20 the table in front of you is not in an high resolution, so that wouldn't be so good.

Until 0:35 i would keep the stuff in it, because after 0:35 your content do not look as impressive as the video starts, because the beginning of your showreel is in my mind simply mindblowing :)

I'm apologizing for my bad english, hope it will bring you a little bit more forward!
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    The main problem with your website is the sub sections. People don't like to click and we should be able to see all your website in 30 seconds. I guess you could simplify it and remove some stuff.
    For example, 2 clicks to see that http://romainlemaire.fr/Shading.php?lang=en ? Is this really necessary?
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Im gonna be very direct, its 6 AM here and I havent slept : P

Dont fiddle with such language things. Even the companies you may could work in likely talk english. Just go with english. Its not worth it if some people have a bug and get french. Who said everyone knows french in france ? Your employer may speak no french but be located in france.
    Nobody will give you credit for this, and its worth alone to just be able to remove those buttons on top.

Your logo writes "RV" to me. The fancy slab font dosnt help you if everywhere else is some kind of meh looking impact-esque webfont.

I see 3x the word "SHOWREEL" if I look at your frontpage. Dont even link at an older showreel, at best delete it from vimeo. You dont wany anyone to look at old stuff. You get measured by your worst piece.

Check your alignment. If you use trendy fotm graphic designer stuff in your logo, I expect some layouting knowledge (well anyone should care about their layouting)
    Your logo is aligned in the middle, but docked on the left, your email and telephone
    number is aligned left while its on the right. Pretty strange all in all

The showreel brings up more questions than it answers. Video without sound is having no good impact, I have no idea what you did. It takes too long at start, try cutting 4 seconds at the intro atleast. Why is the font in the video so different ?

"CG Project" "Game Project" That sounds awful. Like you dont want to be connected to it or something. Try finding other names. Game Art, something.

The preview images are too big for no reason. You also hide cruxial information that
    is only displayed on mouseover which is frustrating for the end user. The font does not fit at all aswell. (Also cut the strange shadow and the blue letter, does not help)

It was not apparent at first that this is a menu leading to subpages at first.

It is very important that you display text based information / content in a nicer way. You simply put some text all with the same font all in bold. Use font weights
    or atleast a thin weight.

Im also not impressed by the shading spheres. I can hardly tell what it is, and
    the speres are super edgy. 4 on one place degrades them all. Grey background on top dosnt make it look nice.

No need to write the year, nobody wants to count and nobody really cares I think.
    What you present is what actual, if its not actual dont show it, if you want to show it, pimp it.

I still dont really know what you want to do. I dont know what I should crit on with your work.
    Well while im at it (being all a jerk and not nice) I would say you need to produce more work, something actual. Its not quite there yet with the quality and you gotta present the stuff better (lighting, backgrounds, presentation in general) but you should not be too far away. If you want a job now, take 2-3 weeks and put some intense new stuff out, the newest is always the best and you'll see its worth it.
    Also think about what you care about most. Tech art is also wanted more than environment art, and the environments were not too convincing so far, but that dosnt mean you couldnt pull that off in the future.

Ah, and also - dont think that people watch videos even if you shove it in their face. Dont rely on them (unless it must be moving)
    Convention rates are mad, and you can lose 50% of your viewerbase in just one extra click or in a couple
    seconds waiting time. The first video, alright, but im sure 80% will not start a second one in a subsite

I wish you good luck then and hope that helped
  • N4meless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless greentooth
    Thanks all it's helped a lot !
    I need to do some improvement as i see, but it's okay!

And for the language, i quit the first idea of auto detection, it's too random and i can't see the result, so i made a simple switch language button.

SO i'm going to work hoppe i can show you something interesting rapidly.