Home Technical Talk

Blender Mega Thread

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Ruka wrote: »
    Saying that he is probably going to use that money from Epic for his own stuff is pure speculation/guessing on your side. It's near defamation what you do here.
    Really if you're a Blender user be happy about that donation, instead of spreading conspiracy theories.

I would greatly appreciate it if you can read my post objectively next time.

I was pretty specific in giving the opinion that I do not feel he is reliably consistent with how development funds are used. There is no "speculation or guessing", just an opinion.

So please, before you respond next time, keep your own spin out of it and respond objectively. Supporting Blender doesnt mean having blind loyalty to the inconsistent individual who runs the foundation. Sharing such concerns should not cause such a negative knee-jerk reaction.

Just to add, the sentiment I am expressing regarding this particular concern is not an uncommon one if you are familiar with the Blender community. See responses in: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?342177-Epic-Games-donates-10k-euros-to-Blender-Development-Fund
  • Ruka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruka polycounter lvl 5
    Dataday wrote: »
    I would greatly appreciate it if you can read my post objectively next time.

I was pretty specific in giving the opinion that I do not feel he is reliably consistent with how development funds are used. There is no "speculation or guessing", just an opinion.

So please, before you respond next time, keep your own spin out of it and respond objectively. Supporting Blender doesnt mean having blind loyalty to the inconsistent individual who runs the foundation. Sharing such concerns should not cause such a negative knee-jerk reaction.

Just to add, the sentiment I am expressing regarding this particular concern is not an uncommon one if you are familiar with the Blender community. See responses in: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?342177-Epic-Games-donates-10k-euros-to-Blender-Development-Fund

And I would appreciate if you'd stop defame Ton as "inconsistent individual" and accuse him with stuff like
    He has been far more interested in putting his film making career first and using funds for those purposes in the name of "blender development
    Because that is not an opinion. It's a blatant lie, based on speculation.
    Fact is Blender got a lot game related features in the last half year, thanks to the dev fund.

And refer to Blenderartists because there are people that have your viewpoint makes you not right dude.
  • xrg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    Regardless of how funds may have been allocated, the past 6-months or so have been a rather substantial improvement for Game Dev. Mont29 and Dfelinto in particular have been working on several long standing issues.

Even if not every nickle gets allocated specifically to Game Dev tools, just having funding from sources other than Open Movies seems to be broadening the focus of Blender development quite a bit.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Ruka wrote: »
    And I would appreciate if you'd stop defame Ton as "inconsistent individual" and accuse him with stuff like

Because that is not an opinion. It's a blatant lie, based on speculation.
    Fact is Blender got a lot game related features in the last half year, thanks to the dev fund.

And refer to Blenderartists because there are people that have your viewpoint makes you not right dude.
    Not withstanding the last 12 months or thereabouts, what Dataday said is neither a lie, speculation nor a (false) accusation; Ton has been on record saying that he is (was) more interested in pushing the VFX/film aspect of Blender's development to the extent that (he is again on record saying this) 'game developers can make it themselves because Blender is open source' (to paraphrase).

Having said that, and to reiterate, the last twelve months or so have seen marked improvement with respect to this but only because there has been increased push-back and pseudo specific funding for it (donations can be spent as the Foundation see's fit, because they are donations and not grants for specific purposes). So whilst Dataday's comments stand on their own merit, it is changing, slowly, and only because the game development community is requesting it and stepping up to the plate/ball to make it happen.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Does anyone have a workaround to disable backfacing when baking an ambient occlusion map with cycles, with high poly floaters to avoid those nasty occlusions under them?
  • ProperSquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ProperSquid polycounter lvl 12
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Thanks for the tip, ProperSquid. That seemed to work. (; I'm a bit noob when it comes to rendering with nodes. Cycles and Max's slate material editor are something I haven't got used to.
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought this thread could use some eyecandy:
    Kfir Merlaub pushing Blender into zBrush territory.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtOCdXeAY38
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    Here's a video tutorial on Kfir Murlaubs real-time rendering techniques.
    http://cgcookie.com/blender/2014/06/17/realtime-glsl-lighting-shading/

Since watching this I love bringing my sculpts into blender to create beautiful presentations. So a big thank you to Kfir :)

What's unclear in the Fiend of Chaos video description is if the model itself was sculpted in blender. I very much doubt so. Just bringing in my sculpts tanks performance tremendously.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    imho it depends on you graphics card
    as far as i know there are models that run perfectly fine, i´ve seen people work on models with more than 20million triangles without problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT_hkSbK8Iw#t=20
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch wrote: »
    What's unclear in the Fiend of Chaos video description is if the model itself was sculpted in blender. I very much doubt so. Just bringing in my sculpts tanks performance tremendously.
    He claims "Created and rendered in realtime using Blender (no post production)"

I speak with him regularly online though, so I'll confirm to be sure and get back to you.
  • FullSynch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FullSynch polycounter lvl 11
    I read that, the ambiguity is in whether he is speaking on just the presentation, or the entire process. He's awesome either way, but if it's true, he's double awesome. :)
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Confirmed - 100% Blender

"Of course this is all Blender! and the rendering is again the same realtime glsl" -Kfir

And his specs:
    Windows 7
    Quad Core 3.4ghz AMD
    Nvidia 650ti
    16gigs Ram
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR polycounter lvl 4
    liquidape wrote: »
    Confirmed - 100% Blender "Of course this is all Blender! and the rendering is again the same realtime glsl"

Yup. Blender performance boosted significantly since past few years.

Now it runs better at 6,000,000 polygons (That's how far I can push it on my low-mid end PC) than it did before at 500,000.

imho it depends on you graphics card
    as far as i know there are models that run perfectly fine, i´ve seen people work on models with more than 20million triangles without problems

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT_hkSbK8Iw#t=20

Isn't Ram more important (than graphics card) for "Zbrush" sculpting?
    C2Q6600 @ 2.95GHZ, Geforce 8600GT, 8GB RAM
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    zBrush don't use the GPU at all. The rendering is done in software.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    but we're not talking zbrush here
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Ha sorry, I misunderstood the previous post. :)
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    but we're not talking zbrush here

Yes. But Blender doesn't seem to use much GPU too.

The build in that video achieved high polycount with way too old Graphics card for such performance (those 8GB of ram on the other hand...).

Multiresolution sculpting test:
    Slohy2W.png

Dynamic topology sculpting test:
    5ZmI00O.png

Neither one seems to mainly use GPU.
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustMeSR wrote: »
    Yes. But Blender doesn't seem to use much GPU too.

Do you have VBO's Setting on in user prefs?
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have VBO's Setting on in user prefs?

Yes.
  • carter2422
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    carter2422 polycounter lvl 6
    Hey everyone!

We've just got a new Blender retopology add-on into alpha testing. It's call Polystrips and is designed to work alongside Contours.

It's intended to make mapping out complex topology must easier and faster during a retopology workflow.

Video demo of the alpha version:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTyzZkLrJXY&feature=youtu.be

I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. If you want to play around with it you can find the code here: https://github.com/CGCookie/retopology/tree/feature/jd_polystrips
  • stry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stry polycounter lvl 11
    I'm a big fan of Contours, and PolyStrips is looking stellar!

Can't thank you guys enough for doing this.
  • perfect_paradigm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perfect_paradigm polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah Contours and Polystrips looks awesome. But in many cases it would be far faster to select edge loops & partial edge loops and generate a polystrip aligned to it, like when you were trying to align the polystrips to the sharpest angle part of the lip and around the eyes.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Confirmed - 100% Blender

"Of course this is all Blender! and the rendering is again the same realtime glsl" -Kfir

Not sure how much of it is all blender, but he just entered it into the Allegorithmic Titan contest claiming it was painted Substance Painter. I'm not even sure it was meant to be for the contest, but all the more power to them if such opportunities open up.

If so though it wouldnt entirely be in Blender. Still, its a surprising good sculpt coming out of Blender if true.
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday wrote: »
    Not sure how much of it is all blender, but he just entered it into the Allegorithmic Titan contest claiming it was painted Substance Painter. I'm not even sure it was meant to be for the contest, but all the more power to them if such opportunities open up.

If so though it wouldnt entirely be in Blender. Still, its a surprising good sculpt coming out of Blender if true.
    He joined the Allegortihmic contest on my suggestion(I got suggestion from other guy in the thread, and noodged him on it). Up to the point shown in the BA thread it is 100% blender. He is doing zretopo to drop the polycount for final assets for the contest - which is an afterthought. Additionally, he is using substance painter in order to use some Allegorthmic software for the Allegorthimic contest. He had not heard of it till I showed it to him yesterday.

So yes, version that is in Allegorthimic contest is not 100% blender. Version posted above is.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He joined the Allegortihmic contest on my suggestion(I got suggestion from other guy in the thread, and noodged him on it). Up to the point shown in the BA thread it is 100% blender. He is doing zretopo to drop the polycount for final assets for the contest - which is an afterthought. Additionally, he is using substance painter in order to use some Allegorthmic software for the Allegorthimic contest. He had not heard of it till I showed it to him yesterday.

So yes, version that is in Allegorthimic contest is not 100% blender. Version posted above is.

Gotcha, but when you put it that way, I feel bad for the people who actually intended to create assets for the contest rather than submit an existing piece because someone "noodged" them into it. Kind of doesnt sit right, but whatever floats your boat. The only thing I can advise, if that were the case, is to show the extent in which the substance software has been used.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    GLSL PBR Shader for Blender's viewport is under development by this guy. And seems like he has provided a some sort of alpha or beta version to be used, not sure though:
    http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?343278-GLSL-PBR-Shader-for-viewport
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Antony's Gsoc just got committed. BIG painting system upgrade. Check it out: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.72/Painting
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Antony's Gsoc just got committed. BIG painting system upgrade. Check it out: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Dev:Ref/Release_Notes/2.72/Painting

Man you weren't kidding, layers, mask support, fill, line strokes... looks like I won't need to have photoshop open anymore.
  • liquidape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Big ol' post on state of FBX:http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/bf-gamedev/2014-July/000285.html

Any FBX experts that can weigh in on questions within?
  • mont29
  • mont29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Let’s try to get a bit more reactions with a second testbuild! :P
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    The link for the win64 build downloads a mac build.
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol didn't even see the first one posted. I'll download it and let you know how it goes.

Edit: Yeah, the windows build is really an OSX build...
  • mont29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arg! Thanks for the note, will fix that immediately! :/
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Bit off-topic, but would it be hard for blender to color code UV wireframes in the UV editor-- based off the color of their material? I've been doing mechanical stuff lately and keep forgetting which piece is which.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Bit off-topic, but would it be hard for blender to color code UV wireframes in the UV editor-- based off the color of their material? I've been doing mechanical stuff lately and keep forgetting which piece is which.

There was a color wireframe patch not long ago and it was shot down by the head of the blender foundation. He didnt believe in color wireframes, at least initially. It might be awhile before something similar gets put into blender.
  • frmdbl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frmdbl polycounter
    @mont29

I left a comment on your blog.

Everything seems to works fine, here's an example.

8Bqguy8.jpg
    6pkR55u.jpg
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    sweet,
    gotta give this a try when i have some time to spare
  • Flight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    Don't see anything like frmdbl does in viewport, but seems to work fine on export. Any setting I'm missing?
  • Volantk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Volantk polycounter lvl 11
    I have the same issue as Flight. Export is fine (awesome!), but it is not shown in the viewport.

Specs, if useful in any way: Windows 7, GTX 770.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    @Flight & Volantk, you need to enable Auto Smooth on the object, which you can find in the edit panel (to the right of the modifiers panel).

And no, I'm not shading flat, that's just because I'm using the normals from a plane pointing up

With autosmooth:
    with_autosmooth.jpg

Without autosmooth:
    without_autosmooth.jpg

(Don't worry about the vertex group, I was playing around with the normal modifier - works great)

PS, I'm sure you noticed I was in multitexture mode in my viewport, it works in GLSL and multitexture, I was experimenting to see which shading modes it worked in when i took the screenshots.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    I have been messing around with blender and its really nice, after you get past the slightly strange interface and hidden features. I use the maya keyboard/mouse preset which fixes the weird navigation controls. I actually cant see any reason to use max or maya now. Blender does everything they can do and usually much better. Plus all the extras like sculpting, texture painting, and compositing.

I feel like it could also do something really similar to substance designer with texture backing. I want to try something like that.
  • Flight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flight polycounter lvl 10
    @Flight & Volantk, you need to enable Auto Smooth on the object, which you can find in the edit panel (to the right of the modifiers panel).

Thanks, work like a charm.

@Mont29

Forgot to say, you're doing important work that has been overlooked for a long time, keep it up!
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Mont29: I'm a little bit confused as to what the custom split normals feature is for. Is it for a planned feature with individually tweakable normals? I can't seem to get it to do anything at the moment.

It would also be nice if the modified normals would be displayed when you tell Blender to draw vertex normals in the viewport, but surely whatever other features you've got planned take precedence.

The modifier seems to be pretty fast. It could be interesting to get a benchmark to see if it's faster than Slide Normal Thief, but I don't have Max.
  • mont29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks to all for the feedback! :)

Regarding 'Auto Smooth' button, I probably have to rename it to something like 'Use Split Normals' or so, current name is too much limitative now…

JedTheKrampusI'm a little bit confused as to what the custom split normals feature is for” - I’m a little bit confused by that question! :P If you are referring to the 'big button' below autosmooth, custom split normals are a data layer, like e.g. vgroups, vcol, etc. This allows e.g. to import clnors from FBX (and later obj too, at least), or apply modifier, and store that data. And yes, in future we will probably be able to tweak clnors in Edit Mode too.

The modified normals are visible in Edit mode, provided you enable the 'Edit Cage' button in modifier's header. ;)

The modifier may be pretty fast, but clnors ops remain rather heavy, I’d say lag becomes noticeable above a few 10k of tris, and it becomes really painful above something like 100k.
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    mont29 wrote: »
    Regarding 'Auto Smooth' button, I probably have to rename it to something like 'Use Split Normals' or so, current name is too much limitative now…
    That sounds like a great idea. I am a long-time Blender user, but as I couldn't find any way to turn on split normals I just assumed it had not been implemented yet, so in my opinion it needs to be a lot more obvious than it currently is.
    Also could auto-smooth (or whatever it'll be renamed to) also be enabled by default when you create a new mesh? With the current default value of 180 degree angle smoothing splits I can't see any reason not to auto enable it and it would make the process of creating game models a little smoother. Otherwise if you were to make a model with many loose parts (like a gun or a vehicle) it could very be tedious to turn on for all the mesh parts (you could script it but you shouldn't need to IMO).
  • James Ordner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NmRCq9C.jpg

Finally finally! Your work is awesome :)
  • mont29
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, just a head-up to say I started a basic doc about this feature (http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Mont29/Foundation/Split_Vertex_Normals/Custom_Split_Normals_Manual).

Still WIP, have no illustration yet e.g.

Also, did change a bit UI (available from branch if you build yourself, won’t redo a testbuild just for cosmetic changes ;) ).
  • JustMeSR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blender viewport PBR has another update! ツ