Home Contests & Challenges Archives Petrol/Blood

Petrol/Blood - Toby Rutter/Gavin Li

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
toby.rutter polycounter lvl 7
Woop woop finally taking part in a Polycount contest. Gavin and I are designing a bio mechanical amphibious creature and pilot/mechanic. We'll be posting some reference images and early concepts in a bit

Replies

• toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a collection of images we threw together as a starting point when disucssing the theme and what character/vehicle we wanted to create.

Moodboard.jpg?_subject_uid=4103856&w=AAARZQsc2L316eQkAVlIuyYhBAuvJpZ2czKOjcT5_c5nkA
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    These are a really quick set of 3D thumbnails I threw together earlier this evening to start thinking about different styles of creature that would become our vehicle.

WKJdNSA.jpg
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    Mass image upload time.

It'll become pretty clear which of these images where drawn by Gav and which ones are mine. I started out trying to generate some different costume concepts for our pilot character. Most of them are pretty generic but everyone now and again I would find some small detail I liked.
    87eN5Nb.jpg

Meanwhile Gav has been doing some sketches of the creature/vehicle based of the silhouette we thought would be the most interesting to work with. We're trying to balance a lot of cool aquatic details with a more amphibious body structure.
    ryYcLN4.jpg

I wanted to test the logistics of how the pilots cockpit would be augmented into the creatures body, and see what kind of pose the pilot would have to be to fit inside of it. I was trying to keep it more realistic rather than just relying on loads of clipping to make it possible
    vIiVJNC.jpg

Here's another shot of the seat, at this point I was starting to mess around with different shapes for the back of the seat.
    V8EkFtV.jpg

Initially we thought the pilot was going to be a mid 20's female but as we started to come up with ideas we decided to make her a younger teenage girl taking some inspiration from books like Enders Game, various other dysptopian fiction (like chaos walking) and battle royal and settled on a younger intelligent character who is competing in these death matches using her ability to cereberally controlher creature.

As a result I had to reproportion my model to make it look younger.
    Btx0AJR.jpg

I find it easy to iterate through ideas in 3D so I started to build off my base mesh and model the outfit. I'm trying to create lots of layered materials in a close fitting wet suit style costume.
    n2ohELx.jpg

This post has probably gone on long enough
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been experimenting with some designs for the legs and hands. I'm trying to get some contrast in the design by having some interesting angular shapes on the rigid plating on her left forearm and the boots, in contrast with the smooth shapes of the rest of the suit.

Next job will be making the silhouette a bit more interesting. Since I changed the proportions to make the character look younger I've lose some of the dynamic lines that came from the characters curves.
    RtRpvFp.jpg

SjFWTBM.jpg
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update, most of the work on the pilot has been refining the existing forms, thinking about what secondary and tertiary details are going to be addded and trying different ideas out. I blocked out some proxy hair, I still haven't decided on a hair style yet but I find it difficult to see whats not working on bald female characters. The next post should be an update on the creature

NMqCje1.jpg
  • Safemilk(Daniel)
    I like where it's going, I'd like to see some more elements from your second to last thumbnail sketch come back for the rider character. Keep it up!
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update on the "vehicle" the character will be piloting. I'm currently messing around with different shapes for a mechanical piece inspired by a hammerhead shark that will fit over the creatures head and host loads of different optics/lenses

@Safemilk Thanks a lot that's really encouraging. You're entries looking killer btw, I really I like the references you've got the shape of your vehicle.

82XBa9R.jpg
    oUwt1O3.jpg
  • Polychin
    holy crap! nice work, really love how the character fits into the mounts chest, keep it up!
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres an update of some of the work I did on the creature over the weekend. I've just been fixing a few silhouette issues here and there, then starting to refine some of the muscle shapes/smaller details. Now that I'm a bit more set on the creature I can begin to really integrate the cockpit and the mechanical pieces with the design. I've also be started to add/plan out the details for the pilots costume, I'll post some updates of that probably tomorrow at some point.

qWemeVB.jpg

8JdmPXX.jpg
  • looprix
    Offline / Send Message
    looprix polycounter lvl 8
    I really love this concept! Looking great!
  • Mike8917
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
    Looks brilliant mate - love the adjustments to the head :)
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers fellas glad you like it.

@Mike8917 I'm glad you like the head, I really wanted to make the hammerhead style augs work but I nothing I tried was as strong as the shape of the head underneath so I decided to scrap it and keep going with what was looking better.
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    Some small updates on the pilots costume, I've been mainly planning the detail pass but holding off progressing until I'm completely happy with the the the underlying shapes. It took a while to find a design for the more hard surface elements on the lower legs that I was happy with but I'm pretty pleased with it as it currently stands.

18BG6Ff.jpg
  • toby.rutter
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry the update have been a bit slow over the last week. I've been noodling away on the creature and the pilot. Here are a couple of shots of the creature, ,I'm in the middle of testing out some different detail styles for the skin. I want to create contrast from the top/outside of the creatures hide to the inner/underside.

I want the underside to be more smooth and leather-y whilst the hide will be more scaley. I tried a very circular scale pattern similar to an iguana but didn't like it as much as a more rocky inspired scale pattern I tried on the rear leg. I still want to balance it ab it so you don't lose much of the underlying forms when adding all this surface detail, I also want to ensure that the design doesn't get too noisey.

UlMo0Jq.jpg

Gav and I sat down on Wednesday evening to go over the shape of the cockpit section of the creature I had sculpted some blockouts but wasn't really feeling any of the shapes yet they lacked cohesion and didn't feel very designed. Gav came up with a shape that was a lot sleeker and feel felt more in fitting with the design.

It's currently one large piece and will be broken down with some panel cut lines and small details to make it less blocky, but I prefer the overall shape to what we had before. I'll probably take it into maya shortly to establish the mechanism for how it'll open and close.
    Q6PwEdv.jpg