Home General Discussion

Anybody know what's up with Crytek?

Replies

• katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I find it incredible that 100 people would unite in one common voice, drop a letter off and go home.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    cryrid wrote: »
    My experience with Sims is that unless you have some kind of dedicated rig for the simulator itself, then chances are its going to need to be able to run on a pretty wide range of hardware, including a big selection of lower end machines that likely didn't have games in mind when they were acquired. They'll aim for something they can install just about anywhere, without needing new computers to go along with it. I can't see cryengine being used the same way I saw vbs and unity.

Yeah that's exactly right. I saw some demo subsea sim stuff from them as well, and thought, well that looks pretty, but prettiness only goes so far in sim work.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Skamander wrote: »
    I agree with you in that I feel that Crytek - or more precisely the management - seems to run after the hip things (first consoles, then F2P and as a result being late to both), but did you actually follow the subscription model since it's release? Since release Crytek has updated the engine nearly every week, they also constantly keep updating the documentation and releasing assets (or updating old ones to PBR) that you can use in your games for free. And they seem to keep their promise of more source access - the last two updates included source access for multiple systems.

Of course not everything is perfect, the documentation still has areas that are lacking or are oudated, and they haven't released video tutorials like Epic, but you are exaggerating when you say Crytek does not do anything of that.
    Clearly you aren't using CryEngine at all, right? We've seen several updates this week, with more example content and source code releases. I also don't see how the documentation is lacking, it's all there... If you think something's missing or not explained properly, please let me know so we can improve.

This was my experience with the engine before, and shortly after the subscription service release. I am glad Crytek is taking steps to make it easier to use their engine.
  • Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    The problem with the subscription model is that you need the crowd. But the crowd use udk/ue4. Several years long the crydev community says that they need a better documentation, sample asstes etc. The cryengine was technolgy based better but the documentation and support are bad. The community has not reached the critical mass for a subscription model in my opinion and with ue4 the technology advantage is nearly non existant. Some people mentioned that the cryengine is for developer and not for people who need instruction for every step but the user for a engine are like a pyramid and its bullshit to aim for a subsription model only at the small peak. Next week i buy ue4, as non developer, only as a little hobby and when im in a dead end i start youtube/google and search for a solution. Thats the big advantage over cryengine and 10€ lesser or no royalties can ever make it up.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also $10 a month cheaper doesn't really matter when you can just unsub and resub whenever you want with UE4.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    ZacD wrote: »
    Also $10 a month cheaper doesn't really matter when you can just unsub and resub whenever you want with UE4.

Exactly, I only plan to get updates every x amount of months (3 at current) to keep my sub costs low, works out great I can budget my engine costs and sure I don't have the latest content at the quickest time, but its highly affordable and allows me to budget things well.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The thread discussing the engine turned into a thread about Crytek's financial problems and now this thread has turned into a thread discussing the engine. :P
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    The thread discussing the engine turned into a thread about Crytek's financial problems and now this thread has turned into a thread discussing the engine. :P

Internet.

Besides, there is not much to tell more about Crytek troubles. Yet another company which was badly managed, by managers who doesn't have any vision or understanding of market they are trying to be on.

Crytek should just remain technology company that focus on engine development and from time to time, make game like Crysis, which brings hardcore PC gamers machines to knees, and they are grateful for that.
    Some people mentioned that the cryengine is for developer and not for people who need instruction for every step but the user for a engine are like a pyramid and its bullshit to aim for a subsription model only at the small peak.
    I agree. Those people forget that all those tutorials, developer support, live streams, irc chat (!), helps beginners as well as seasoned developers.
    I know my way around certain parts of engine quite well, while others are total mystery. But I can always look at youtube, search formus/answer hub, ask on IRC (helped many times) or look at content examples on how thing was done.

Value you get for 20$/mo with UE4 is just incomparable to anything else on the market.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    Lots of valid points by experienced people. What else to say ?

Just even with documentation I am confused about the coding part you see. I understand that Epic has both docs and video tuts about that part. But at Crydev we have neither. So that means I am supposed to tear it apart myself ?

Just always wondered about that you know. Being a non-programmer man, just how is it done ( learned) right anyway ?
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Well to be fair, non-programmers shouldn't try developing a game as their first project to learn how to program properly. Game development is generally accepted as one of the more difficult areas of software development.

I think the main issue with Cryengine is that there just doesn't seem to be a need for it anymore. UE4 gives you complete engine source, a ton of great content examples, good platform compatibility, and excellent tools for making games look high budget without having to actually spend any money, and once the asset store gets opened it will become even better. Unity can compete against UE4 as well, especially for those looking for the even greater platform compatibility.

The fact is, with these two engines alone, you could make basically any game you could ever imagine. Having more choices is always a good thing and you should always assess the needs of the project and the resources at your disposal before doing anything, but it seems like UE4 and Unity have both become the "obvious" choice in many people's eyes.
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    I hear ya, NegevPro.
    But, with all business. Crytek could get their shit together and make the Cryengine just as competitive as UE4. In a way, it still is...

They just grew too fast. This industry is crazy. It changes on a dime.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2014-07-25-crytek-addresses-financial-situation
    The full statement follows below:

In recent weeks, there have been repeated reports and rumors relating to financial problems at Crytek. Having already given an update to staff across all our studios, we are now in a position to share more details with members of the press and public.

Internally, we have acknowledged that the flow of information to employees has not been as good as it should have, however we hope you understand that communicating details of our plans publicly has not always been possible.

Like the games industry as a whole, Crytek has been in a transitional phase. Our evolution from a development studio to an Online-Publisher has required us to refocus our strategies. These challenges go along with an increased demand for capital which we have secured.

We can now concentrate on the long term strategic direction of Crytek and our core competencies. We kindly ask for your understanding, that we won't be communicating further details about our developments and progress.

Ultimately, with our organization, capitalization, portfolio and technologies we have now laid the foundations for securing Crytek's future - not just in the short term, but also long term.

Through this period of speculation, we are thankful for the support and encouragement we've received from our community and our partners, and for the contribution all of our staff have made. We remain committed to doing what we are best known for and trying to develop the best interactive experiences and technology possible for everyone who loves gaming.

We are confident that we will be able to share more positive news on Crytek's progress soon.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    That is a lot of text that doesn't actually say anything.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Mstankow wrote: »
    That is a lot of text that doesn't actually say anything.

Pretty much.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wonder if this means the finally got a loan or whatever capitol investment that was rumored to happen. Hopefully that is the case.

Though I fear they have already lost too many talented people.

Edit: It sounds like people are actually getting paid now, so that's good.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Development studio to an Online-Publisher? What does that mean? Is that going to affect whatever is left of the current games, like outsourcing the development to other studios and only being the publisher? I don't get it.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its very important that the industry as a whole has company's like crytek. With out them and Unity there is no competition for Unreal and that engine and its support might not be as awesome as it is with Unreal 4.

There is still work to be done on the cry engine but it sounds like they are going in the right direction with it.

Good news that people are getting their pay now :)
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Equanim polycounter lvl 11
    It sounds pretty wise to me too. They've got the engine (product) and an audience that wants to use it, but they need to give that area their full attention for it to work.

The term "publisher" seems a little ambiguous. It could simply mean their focus is CryEngine and the tools that go with it, or it could mean they want to provide a means for studios to get funding and share resources. Business wise that's basically diversifying your portfolio. Rather than your company hinging on the success of one game, the risk is spread across many. It's worked well for Valve and Epic.

I think the next Crysis is likely to be done through another studio, but the next few iterations of CryEngine will see it transform into a more consumer oriented tool, like what Epic's done with Unreal. So better support, maybe some standalone file converters, integration with third party tools, that kind of thing.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    I think it is too late. The damage has been done and I find it unlikely that they will recover from this quickly. So many awesome staff have left with no intention of coming back. Even with new funds I find it unlikely that any they will be able to acquire a team of people as good as they used to have. Lets face it the chances is that they will never be what they once were.
  • joarwho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joarwho polycounter lvl 5
    Crytek UK is no more:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/07/30/deep-silver-now-owns-homefront-new-studio-handling-development.aspx

I'm glad to hear that the Crytek UK staff is moving to the new Deep Silver Dambuster Studios to continue the development of Homefront. I wish them all the best.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    leleuxart wrote: »
    Development studio to an Online-Publisher? What does that mean? Is that going to affect whatever is left of the current games, like outsourcing the development to other studios and only being the publisher? I don't get it.

they just go to free to play and publish their games on their own
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Ryse is coming to PC with 4k support and the DLC.

Edit: They just released an update to the EaaS with early support for FBX too
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Wonder if that is really what they ought to be doing...atleast if it takes major effort to port.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I just tried the update. I don't know if I were doing anything wrong, but everything was broken and a simple FBX import ( static object, only mesh and textures) didn't work, I got an error.
    The hotkeys no longer works and Parallax Occlusion Mapping hasn't been fixed yet.

I hope I am actually doing something wrong. It can't get that bad mate.... :(
  • joarwho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN wrote: »
    I just tried the update. I don't know if I were doing anything wrong, but everything was broken and a simple FBX import ( static object, only mesh and textures) didn't work, I got an error.
    The hotkeys no longer works and Parallax Occlusion Mapping hasn't been fixed yet.

I hope I am actually doing something wrong. It can't get that bad mate.... :(

I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe someone can help you if you post this in 'technical talk' in the CryEngine subforum?
  • aphex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "The transformation was painful. We paid the price"
    Crytek boss Cevat Yerli on unpaid wages, Ryse 2 and the future.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-08-the-transformation-was-painful-we-paid-the-price
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    aphex wrote: »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-08-08-the-transformation-was-painful-we-paid-the-price
    Cevat Yerli: There are expectations from some staff that aren't realistic.

I am guessing getting paid ontime is one of them
    I heard you went to the UK studio and told them they were lucky to get paid. What do you say to that?Cevat Yerli: I have never ever used these words before. This is complete bullshit. I would never ever say to somebody, hey guys, you're lucky you got paid. What we have communicated to the team is, we have two choices: either we let people go immediately and pay the remainder, or we can't pay you right now and we stick together. We chose - for the team itself - for this reason not to downsize. And the majority of the team has applauded this, rather than critique.

what do you think is more likely to be bullshit that he actually said that or people applauded the fact they weren't going to get paid?

I am highly skeptical of anything this guy says,it just looks like PR spin.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Guys, cause we(i) fucked up, I'm not paying you. But we still want you all to work for us.

Seems from the glassdoor reviews, they haven't been paying on time for months.

I hate it when upper management in any business fucks up and drops all the shit onto the workforce. I mean i take it he got paid his wage while delivering that speech/?
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    aphex wrote: »

Oh my ! I feel disgusted. The more I read the more I feel sick by this.

I guess it is about time I changed my " preferences"... for good this time.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    It is official. I will never work for Crytek.

The fact that Cevat acts passive in arrogance and manipulates his words for the companies reality for a good image that seizes to exist. Makes me feel really bad for those who are fearful to leave Frankfurt (etc.) for a better company, or are brainwashed that it may serve a good long-term decision to work with such a person whom holds their passions in their "undisclosed upfront cash deals". Sounds quite the mob-like reputation I've heard them for as a business in this industry.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cevat comes off as a smug rich asshole that doesn't understand why people would be upset to go months without pay:

"Some people were very impatient and got angry at the smallest delay."

and

"I was surprised and upset a little bit that the intention of us keeping together everybody upset a few of them. But I understand that situation. Some people live in very tight financial planning. That’s their own privacy. They can do whatever they want. Those guys, when they get under pressure it can become emotional"
  • marks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    "Some people live in very tight financial planning. That’s their own privacy. They can do whatever they want."

Probably has nothing to do with the amount of Glassdoor reviews rating the salaries at Crytek UK as "below average" then ...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Now, everybody got paid plus inconvenience payments additionally to that, like we promised everybody."

I wonder if the inconvenience payment was tied to a "don't sue us or bad mouth us" clause.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    They started off by not paying 'employees' and I guess that's how they intend on finishing!
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    I wonder how many more decades of this sort of conduct our industry is prepared to accept.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, yes this is a fucked up situation and all the issues with paying/flying around higher ups while everyone else goes without paychecks...

However, something I find very interesting here. In virtually every other instance something like this has happened in the games industry, people would have been simply laid off, the company shut down entirely etc. While they're doing a shit job of damage control, and obviously pissed off a lot of people, they've managed to make it through this without mass layoffs (for now).

Not that this in any way excuses the behavior, but its certainly a unique situation, I can't really think of anything like this having happened before.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov wrote: »
    I wonder how many more decades of this sort of conduct our industry is prepared to accept.

Luckily it's not the norm; they didn't get away from this scott free, it's a black mark on their reputation. The ability to hire and retain senior talent has a pretty direct impact on the quality of your product.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ

Interesting angle, hadn't thought of it like that.

The problem here is that they've shed a ton of top shelf talent over this and as Justin said, there's a nasty black mark there now. That won't do them any favors when it comes to recruiting.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ: There are studios that pull the missed paycheck bullshit, they are usually smaller. When I've asked around those are the ones that other developers tell me to avoid like the plague.

If Crytek really wanted to do the right thing they should of had furloughs. If you can't pay your employees than you shouldn't expect them to work.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ: There are studios that pull the missed paycheck bullshit, they are usually smaller. When I've asked around those are the ones that other developers tell me to avoid like the plague.

If Crytek really wanted to do the right thing they should of had furloughs. If you can't pay your employees than you shouldn't expect them to work.

Yeah that's true, I think we've all dealt with something similar or have a friend who has a horror story. I suppose in this case its the only time I've seen it on such a large scale with the company seemingly still left standing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crytek Austin leadership forms new studio Gunfire Games

Sounds good, just don't put "no crybabies" in the hire page this time, it caused many a facepalm in Austin.
  • Zepic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zepic polycounter lvl 11
    20 bucks say the switch to UE4. :)
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I have to say, it's a pretty bad interview.

I worked at Crytek for a few years but left a while ago. It sucked seeing all my friends in the Germany and UK studio not getting paid.

I know one thing and it's that without Cevat my career would probably not even exist. I'm not defending non-payment of staff - that part is ridiculous. However, founding a company which then gave close to 1000 people jobs is nothing to look down upon. I feel like they lost their way at some point and never recovered.
  • SecretPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj wrote: »
    I know one thing and it's that without Cevat my career would probably not even exist. I'm not defending non-payment of staff - that part is ridiculous. However, founding a company which then gave close to 1000 people jobs is nothing to look down upon. I feel like they lost their way at some point and never recovered.

Boom when reality speaks the truth. I think is best that things are still running for the other people that depend on this as their income. Also not defending either, but better to save the company. Sure you will hurt some folks along the way, but at least you are still standing and can in the future provide jobs to others.
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12

"We have seven people, all of the leads...,"

Man you can't miss a game that would come out of a studio like this :D

I feel great to see that people could find jobs and they are still in the industry.

Cheers mates !
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    That Crytek interview really was something...
  • joarwho
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the fleshed out version of that interview, for anyone who wants to read: http://www.polygon.com/2014/8/8/5983685/darksiders-sequel-gunfire-games
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    I never knew it was this bad.

Very sad to read about so many people getting screwed over. I know many old work colleagues in the UK branch I hope they are all okay now. At least the studio did not fold. Some of the best talent in the world at that studio.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Looks like it was a question of not communicating fully with their staff about the financial woes they were undergoing.
    Yerli also commented on the criticism surrounding Crytek’s unpaid staff, saying: “You have two choices, right? Either you delay payments and salvage the company. Or, you push your cash flow directly to the studios and you file for insolvency. Both options are really bad. So you have to make the better of the two bad decisions.
    http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/crytek-ceo-we-re-not-perfect-we-paid-the-price-for-transformation/0136660
  • Ben Milette
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ben Milette polycounter lvl 9
    Crytek has released a new gameplay trailer for their MOBA Arena of Fate....I don't really know what to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAmenVEgGNQ

(Make sure you listen to the audio)