Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Eye-Work's WIPs n' C&Cs

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
eye-work polycounter lvl 5
This scene started out as a project for school. I decided to go make it low poly, to practice LP'n techniques. And the results came out like this:

- The scene ended up looking too low-poly and pointless in terms of presentation.

Replies

• eye-work
    Offline / Send Message
    After finishing the school's program I decided to add extra detail to the Zbrush models that I had in my head from the inception. I decided to show it off by rendering it in Vray.

• eye-work
    Offline / Send Message
    I Zremeshed it in Zbrush and realized that I can get away with a lot less quads, so then I used wrapit plug in for max, to make tentacles (thus branches) - but it took me ridiculous amounts of time. I'm going to learn 3D-Coat for this business, does anyone have better suggestions?

I've placed my re-done asset(s) into a world built from Unreal's levels - effects cave and example map (blueprint map).

-I haven't made lightmaps for all the meshes, that why the grass/leaves are black.
    -I will try figuring out how to do 'blend weights' painting /w 3 variables including their normals. (so I can paint the transition between the hill and the bottom of my mesh)
    -will add more prone spec maps.
    -come one step closer to god.

and C&Cs Would be most helpful at this stage in the game.

• PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Hi, sorry for asking this, is that a lady-tree ?

Ps. I'm not an envo guy <_<" Wait for someone who actually knows about envo stuff.
  • Tobbo
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Just curious are you working from any kind of reference?

As far as your retopology goes, you should try out 3ds Max's built in retopology tools. I actually really like it after I learned the shortcut keys.

The first part of this tutorial helped me get started. From there I was able to explore and figure out the rest on my own just by trial and error.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9WT0Y4KjDM

I think you have way too much noise going on. It's a bit difficult right now to make out what I am actually looking at.

It's cool you want to make your scene be as awesome as you can, but one of your jobs as an artist is to make the clarity of your scene clear and readable. You don't want to keep on adding more and more elements into a scene just for the sake of "awesomeness". It's just adding additional noise and is making the entire scene more difficult to make out.

Maybe part of the noise is from a lack of value separation in your textures or lighting? Both of those could use some more work as well. Everything is just getting lost next to each other.

Here's a snippet from Jeff Parrot's blog on a little bit about value separation. http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=1127

I hope this helps!
  • eye-work
    Offline / Send Message
    @PyrZern - yup

@Tobbo - Yeah, I've been playing around with Max's retop-o tools. I'll have to take the time to re-bind the keys, and give it another shot. What pisses me off are the snaps, but It's my barrier and not the tools.

Yeah, the noise partially comes from the image compression. I will follow the tut you linked me, about values separation~that'll def help :D

Thank you
  • eye-work
    Offline / Send Message
    Marmoset Experiments

• eye-work
    Offline / Send Message
    Finishing up this mess,

All the assets and effects (besides the focal piece) were used from Unreal's maps such as 'Cave Effects' and 'Blueprint Examples'.

The assets were created in: 3ds Max, Zbrush, Photoshop

Check out my port site for it being all on one page:
    DimaKulakov.com