Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Natalie Portman Model

Hi all

I started this project after an assessment at uni didn't turn out as well as I hoped and I was recommend to come and here and get some tips. So here is my first shot of her face. At the moment I am only working on her eyes and nose. So far the issues I can see involve the eyes and the formation of the nostril. Feel free to point out any errors.

natalie01_by_katedearagon-d7p71ex.png

natalie02_by_katedearagon-d7p71nl.png

natalie03_by_katedearagon-d7p71qx.png

Thanks for any feedback.

Replies

• Xsim1
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xsim1 polycounter lvl 4
    So far it's a solid start. The topology is perfect, the loops are good. The nose can be a bit tricky, but try to close the mesh first and then fix the mistakes.

You will have to post more progress if you want to have good feedback though. This is not enough information for people here to review your work.

Good work so far though!
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    looking good

Id go in and make the important edgeloops first (the mouth, nose and eyes) and then connect them together rather than starting from the eyes and going from there
    Poly modelling rules! ;)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Hmm, there're many specific way to get the nice face topology. Most follow the same rules, though. Not bad on the eye. You can add more loops there, and define her eye lids and such too if you want. And the corners of her eyes too.

Create loops around her nostrils, and a loop around her mouth, and another loop around her nose and mouth. Then connect them together.

Here's an example.
    f6b859588dff7ae445b43e9947bd4933.jpg

Oh...

And welcome to Polycount !!!!!
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Welcome to Polycount dude. Good luck with your project. Good start.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I think it's the best technical thing people can start with is proper topology, but since you don't seem to be having any problems there (from the limited amount I can see) so I have to say:

Honestly I really don't think this is the best way to go about this. Zbrush gives a lot more feedback much more quickly, and allows you to adjust the underlying forms to a higher degree of accuracy and at a quicker pace.

It's also just not the workflow anyone uses anymore, not with the amazing build up temporary topology tools that zbrush has, and the ability to easily retopology do more accurately (becuase you'll already have your forms locked down).

So my suggestion would be to use dynamesh as far as you can first.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    ysalex wrote: »
    I think it's the best technical thing people can start with is proper topology, but since you don't seem to be having any problems there (from the limited amount I can see) so I have to say:

Honestly I really don't think this is the best way to go about this. Zbrush gives a lot more feedback much more quickly, and allows you to adjust the underlying forms to a higher degree of accuracy and at a quicker pace.

It's also just not the workflow anyone uses anymore, not with the amazing build up temporary topology tools that zbrush has, and the ability to easily retopology do more accurately (becuase you'll already have your forms locked down).

that's a relief, I thought I was the only one thinking this

and remember whiel you're sculpting visualizing the topology as you sculpt can help you get the anatomy more accurately, if you know an edgeloop ends here and another starts there, then that's a good hint that you've come upon some important bone or feature - at least to me, i'm a noob though
  • KatedeAragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the replies guys. This is my first solo start to finish experience to see if I can actually do this. I will be updating as I go and should be either uploading tonight or tomorrow.

To address this comment
    ysalex wrote: »

Pancakes wrote: »
    that's a relief, I thought I was the only one thinking this

and remember whiel you're sculpting visualizing the topology as you sculpt can help you get the anatomy more accurately, if you know an edgeloop ends here and another starts there, then that's a good hint that you've come upon some important bone or feature - at least to me, i'm a noob though

For this particular assessment I had to do a mesh and then texture it. We are not allowed to use Zbrush but I am most willing to learn. If you know any good tutorials that go through the entire process please link them. And maybe some info about dynamesh as well cause i have no idea what that is (*-*). Sorry but I am a bit of a newb when it comes to this stuff.

Thanks again guys. You are all such a pleasant bunch of peoples. I am really glad I posted here and wish I had done it sooner.
  • butt_sahib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    butt_sahib polycounter lvl 11
    Even though i do agree zbrush has made the pipeline alot more different than it used to be, i would definitely recommend poly/box/native modeling to a beginner or someone who wants to get into character art etc. I feel that native modeling really requires a good understanding of underlying volume,mass,planes etc and it is good practise
    I am pleasantly surprised that this assignment does not allow zbrush usage.

For zbrush the first thing id do is go to pixologic.com and get an introductory sense of what zbrush is. There are a couple of training dvds (digital tutors for example) and videos on youtubes you could check out. Dynamesh is just the sculptris algorithm integrated into zbrush.

Good luck :)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    butt_sahib wrote: »
    Even though i do agree zbrush has made the pipeline alot more different than it used to be, i would definitely recommend poly/box/native modeling to a beginner or someone who wants to get into character art etc. I feel that native modeling really requires a good understanding of underlying volume,mass,planes etc and it is good practise
    I am pleasantly surprised that this assignment does not allow zbrush usage.

For zbrush the first thing id do is go to pixologic.com and get an introductory sense of what zbrush is. There are a couple of training dvds (digital tutors for example) and videos on youtubes you could check out. Dynamesh is just the sculptris algorithm integrated into zbrush.

Good luck :)

I think zbrush is a much quicker method of getting practice in volume, mass and plane than box modeling, zbrush is probably better practice than anything except drawing. Box modeling is great, for technical reasons, and everyone should learn it at some point, but for learning about anatomy and art and design, it is not a good method. It is an impediment to learning, since it's slow to develop a piece and slow to make necessary changes, learning anatomy and volume and planes is much faster if you work with a tool that allows responsive control over what you are trying to master, which is form - the less control you have over that form, the slower you will be and the slower you will learn.

To be fair, I started box modeling first with wings3d, then silo1.42. It is great that I have that practice because proper poly modeling is important, but I learned more with about actual art, anatomy, form and structure with 6 months of zbrush than I did with 2-3 years of poly modeling, simply because I got more done, my changes were instant, and my volume of work picked up.

Just my .02 cents
  • KatedeAragon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I have finished the nose. It was a bit of a pain. Her nose is kinda weird. Any feedback is welcome.

The nose is a bit blocky and I can see potential errors. But I might be over thinking this. I have spent the better 6 hours on and off trying to get this nose.
    natalie06_by_katedearagon-d7pbvpj.png

The face has smoothing groups applied but it looks good.
    natalie07_by_katedearagon-d7pbvur.png