Home Contests & Challenges Archives Petrol/Blood

Petrol/Blood - Afterburner Dragon

Weso
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Weso polycounter lvl 4
August 8 EDIT: Gonna have to call it quits. My laptop is just not adequate for this, and I definitely can't get anything done in the time frame. I'm going to leave this behind and pick it up this fall or winter when (hopefully) I have a workstation at home.

I've had this idea kicking around for a while and this is the perfect reason to finally go full-speed into it. The mount is going to be a mech eastern-dragon, and it has an afterburner in it's mouth for fire breath.

Still working on concepts for the rider too, but I've got a fairly straightforward futuristic flight suit going on. Debating on if I want to sculpt a face and hair, or keep his helmet on for both shots.

I've always been daunted by Polycount challenges because the time frame is usually so tight, but this one gives a lot more to work with.

Mood Boards and Sketches:
PLuykwE.png
Ks6s6j3.png
G3CzAvI.png

Replies

• Weso
    Offline / Send Message
    Weso polycounter lvl 4
    Working on the concept a little more today. I'm looking for a bit of feedback on composition for the final image. For the pre-race picture I'm going to show the mount creating a little warm area for the rider, shielding him from harsh snowy weather. I want to experiment with shaders to show melting snow and ice around them.

zooxEUg.jpg
    4GvuqQj.jpg
    IIOoStb.jpg
  • Weso
    Offline / Send Message
    Weso polycounter lvl 4
    I think I have the design nailed down enough to start modelling.

A2Qy0KB.jpg
    tcuMaZR.jpg
  • TorQue[MoD]
    Offline / Send Message
    TorQue[MoD] polycounter lvl 19
    Interesting design. The dragon is going to be robotic?
  • Weso
    Offline / Send Message
    Weso polycounter lvl 4
    Yes, entirely robotic. I still have to figure out a colour scheme for it. In my mind, I see a lot of chrome and brushed metal, but I know that would be really boring if the whole thing was bare metal (and wouldn't show off texturing work very well either).
  • Weso
    Offline / Send Message
    Weso polycounter lvl 4
    Hurricane Arthur rolled through and I lost power for the better part of a week, then completely lost momentum on this project. I'm trying to get back into the swing of it, but life keeps piling up. It's tempting to just put this away and wait until I have a decent computer to work on, but I still want to go for it. I figure as long as I keep posting I'll keep working.

Been working on the base mesh for the pilot. There's a few posture issues to sort out before the sculpt, but it's coming along faster than any character I've done in the past.

7DtqpY0.jpg
  • Suba
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    I actually like the dragon idea ! Keep going !