Home General Discussion

CryEngine or Unity?

It's something I've been interested in and have wanted to know, I wouldn't say one would be necessarily better than the other, although I have never used CE. But what engine is best for creating MMOs and FPS'?

Can people list the pros and cons of each and some features they both contain and state there overall opinion and why?

Replies

• Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    Unreal 4 is best at everything. Just my opinion.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UE4 comes with an FPS template (with all weapon/game logic in Blueprints ... or C++ if you prefer) and an FPS sample game. Should be a good starting point!

Disclosure : I work at Epic. :)

www.unrealengine.com
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    Even for an "MMMO" i would consider your restrictions. Both engines are still good - even i would go for unreal 4 too.

@ WarrenM

3540295+_d23a699d99b4bc667fefd00ddc54fd1c.jpg
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    I would go with Unreal 4 as others stated. But if it's a core pick between the 2 you've asked for. I would go with Unity for the ease of things. As Cryengine has a very awkward pipeline workflow. So awkward I find Source Engine easier to predict my outcomes than CE.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CryEngine has a huge number of successful mmo licensees in the eastern market afaik and comes with an FPS Game code by default. The community has actually just now started creating presets for other game types (http://www.crydev.net/newspage.php?news=124671)

The CryEngine pipeline is super quick for artists once you have everything setup in Maya/Max and also now supports FBX import if you feel more confident with another DCC.

It's also the most powerful in terms of real-time lighting and it supports PBR with all bells and whistles. And you can create an indie game with the Steam subscription that won't cost you any royalties in the future.

Full disclosure: I work at Crytek. :P
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    haha salesmen hard at work :P
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    While I really love Unreal Engine 4 (and that latest Rivalry demo made me love it even more!) you should really sit down and think about everything you need to make your particular game, then pick an engine from there.

As much as I love UE4, I'm currently using Unity since it fits my needs better. What kind of team do you have at the moment? What platforms are you targeting? What is your budget like? There are tons of questions that need to be answered before randomly nosediving into an engine for a serious project.
  • stabbington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    Unity is equally capable of large-scale online games as any of the other engines (see Hearthstone, Rust, etc.). We have an upcoming multiplayer technology (UNET) that makes setting everything up more powerful and easier than ever (http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/05/12/announcing-unet-new-unity-multiplayer-technology/).

On top of that, by the time 5 is launched, we'll have PBR, Enlighten Global illumination plus the thousands of awesome assets on our store (AI, image effects, FPS kits, models and more) the widest multi-platform one-button publishing support, cloud systems and much more that helps developers make games more easily and more succesfully than ever!

Full disclosure: I work at Unity :P
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I feel like i just walked into a used car lot
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, which is best, Max or Maya?

(Waiting for someone from Autodesk to have a full-disclosure argument with himself)
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    I want to say something about the Autodesk Game Engine, but then...what would be the point?
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    EarthQuake wrote: »

XSI... oh... wait.
    katana wrote: »
    I want to say something about the Autodesk Game Engine, but then...what would be the point?

To be that one guy who said anything about Autodesk Game Engine in a serious conversation.

Full Disclosure: I hate Autodesk.
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    EarthQuake wrote: »

(Waiting for someone from Autodesk to have a full-disclosure argument with himself)

What is better Marmoset skyshop or Marmoset one
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You got me, I literally laughed out loud. Well done.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poor guy hasn't said anything since ^^

Not to Jinx it or anything but I could really get behind a "full disclosure" meme.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Robeomega wrote: »
    What is better Marmoset skyshop or Marmoset one

8monkey Labs JaneGoodall.
  • Twisttid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hermit wrote: »
    Try them all, choose the one you love most.
    I know, it's obviously Unreal Engine 4. The Force is strong with you. Please, don't lose your right hand in the process. I know how exciting UE4 can be...

Yeah I'll do that. ;)

Also Thank You, everyone for the feedback! Really helped.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would think for simplicity's sake and for general ease of use...Unity would be a good place to start. Not sure what type of scope you are looking at, but if you are trying to make a huge game by yourself...the Unity Asset Store would be pretty useful. IMO Unity will have the quickest ramp up time and the most flexibility.

As an artist, I'm a fan of the results achievable with UE4/Cryengine, but I personally prefer Unity from a workflow perspective...its just simpler and easier. Also...Hoping that PBR + Enlighten from Unity5 will close the prettyness gap.

At the very least...there is a free version to get your feet wet and try it out.

Disclaimer...I dont work for either of those companys...but I do have a hard-on for Unity.
  • Mr.Moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr.Moose polycounter lvl 7
    Just to tag on to all this, Unity would be easier for someone looking to develop their games alone right? Just out of its simplicity?
    I read somewhere that UE4 uses C++? Isn't that like...outdated?
    -having no experience with either but interested in diving into one or the other-
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Mr.Moose wrote: »
    Just to tag on to all this, Unity would be easier for someone looking to develop their games alone right? Just out of its simplicity?
    -having no experience with either but interested in diving into one or the other-

Well, in Unity you use C# or a Javascript derivative. Unreal 4 has a nice visual script editor called blueprints that is fantastic. That alone makes me recommend it. You can make an entire game without touching a line of code (I know this exists for Unity but it's an addon). It's quite elegant.

C++ isn't outdated in the least, I would wager that most game engines are programmed in C++. Unity uses C# or Unity Script or Boo for game logic but a lot of the core engine is written in C++.
  • synicalx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

As Dashiva said, C++ isn't outdated by a long shot. It's got a massive range of libraries for just about anything and is used in an ungodly number of games.

Having said that, some people prefer/recommend C# as its a fair bit easier to pick up and a bit more forgiving to work with compared to C++.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Pepsi or Coke?
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap wrote: »
    Pepsi or Coke?

Full Disclosure: He's a vending machine
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17

Say what!?
  • Ehnn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehnn polycounter lvl 6
    just my personal experience - but I've found that, statistically, 3d artists tend to favor UE, and programmers tend to favor unity. not sure where cryengine falls in those two categories

the reason, as far as I can tell, is that UE has prettier tools to work with immediately
    and unity is much easier for learning the engine and starting to write code (with the exception of FPS games, which is the "default" in UE where a lot of code is there for you out of the box)

so the question might become, do you want to display your art in a live engine and maybe tweak some things in the scene to move through scripts? if so I'd go for UE. do you plan on writing more serious code or working with a group of programmers? maybe try unity

edit: to be clear that's just for the "I'm a beginner starting to learn" case. if you're a professional and/or working with a professional team then it doesn't matter which engine you use - you'll make it look good and work
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Ehnn wrote: »
    just my personal experience - but I've found that, statistically, 3d artists tend to favor UE, and programmers tend to favor unity.

Competent programmers tend to prefer Unreal as they can work in C++ and have full source code without an exorbitant price tag.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    Programmers would probably favor UE4 since they'd have full source, but Unity would also be popular for hobbyist programmers as they would have a huge ocean of high quality art assets to work with that can even be free sometimes. Also, if a programmer is working alone or with a smaller sized team, placeholder assets would make it easier to create a decent looking prototype which could then be used to recruit more team members.

While UE4 is definitely easier to work with than UDK, I'd imagine that people who only do art would run into quite a few roadblocks within their projects at a pretty fast rate. Blueprints are great and there are many tutorials, but without a technical mindset you'd gain from programming experience, it might become very difficult to solve certain problems.

I'm curious to see what the Unreal marketplace shapes into in the near future. While there's more to Unity than just the asset store, the quality of work that can be found there is incredible.
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Ehnn wrote: »
    just my personal experience - but I've found that, statistically, 3d artists tend to favor UE, and programmers tend to favor unity. not sure where cryengine falls in those two categories

CryEngine is for people who love shiny objects and pain.

'Wow, an 85 stage content pipeline whose stability is determined by the conjunction of the orbit of Venus and the fair market price of a gently used Fiat? Sign me up.'
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    Hell no, I would certainly not recommend Unity. Unity is technically better to make cheap and small games (or junk games), it's great for programmers who are looking to make some money as fast as possible. The Unity community tends also to make cheap games or create poor ripoffs of other successful games. It's very amateur. Not that Unity cannot be used to make AAA quality games, but it's just not the right game engine if compared to a monster like UE4.

Unreal Engine 4 is great for everyone, it has tools for all departments (well-rounded), could be used for both small or AAA oriented games and the community tends to create more ambitious and creative projects. Not only the community is very helpful if you have questions, but UE4 is at this point extremely well documented. Also why I would choose Unreal Engine instead of CryEngine.

i could agree to unreal beeing more artist friendly, but not recommending Unity because a lot of the games done with it are not AAA titles?
    There are plenty of great and fun games done with unity, not just ripoffs as you claim.
    How much did you use Unreal 4 in production? From my experience it is not anywhere near as final as UE3 was back at it's peak, it will take time until its the beast it wants to be.
    But yes, out of the box Unreal4 does look better and they learned a lot from Unity, they are trying to get back to old strength now which i think is a good thing. But there are reasons why unity is so strong at the moment and took a lot of unreals market from the bottom and climbing up.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva wrote: »
    XSI... oh... wait.

To be that one guy who said anything about Autodesk Game Engine in a serious conversation.

:)...well it was a joke.:)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I love all the sales talks :D

Full disclosure: I dont work!
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    :)...well it was a joke.:)

Yah, I just felt like piling on the AD hatewagon. It's fun.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Whether a game engine can make AAA games shouldn't even matter if you aren't a AAA studio. AAA content = $$$ to produce. From hanging around the indie community, it looks like Unreal & Cryengine have almost no foothold. Unity is the most popular 3D engine but 2D games make up a bigger chunk because it's cheaper and easier to do with a small team.

As far as making MMOs, the only recent MMO focused engine to come out was Hero engine. It seems like every dev who's worked on Hero & Gamebryo prefer the latter for MMO development. I haven't messed with the new build, Lightspeed, the prior versions weren't all in one development suites like Unreal, Unity or Cryengine, you make the tools yourself. I think that fact causes a majority of the complaints because I haven't heard anyone give a concrete reason why they hate the engine.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    I wrote that Unity was just better for programmers looking to make a quick buck. I'm working with Unity as we speak and most people on the team, including our best programmers actually prefer UE4. It's great for prototyping and that's pretty much where it ends. Some mobile studios tested Unity multiple times and ended up using Unreal, Project Anarchy or their own in-house tech. So if Unity isn't a good fit for both AAA and mobile, then what is it good for? Prototyping.

UDK and UE4 are solid, well optimized, high quality and are well-rounded game engines that offer tools for everyone from all departments.

I dunno man, since years every smaller or even bigger production, mobile or indie, we worked on was Unity (or inhouse tech but by far more Unity). Unreal 4 is AAA and we are working on the second production with it right now - still many complaints here. And nobody really wants to work with UDK and the reason is simply Unrealscript.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I've been working with Unity- with one project or another for about 4 years now. It has it's quirks like any other engine. The biggest win with Unity is the asset store. There is an ocean of free to moderately priced extensions that would cost you an arm and a leg to have someone code for you.

Hopefully the UE4 store will get as robust and start luring away the Unity faithful; so Unity will be forced to match the UE4 subscription model.

I can't wait for Enlighten
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Matt Fagan wrote: »
    I would go with Unreal 4 as others stated. But if it's a core pick between the 2 you've asked for. I would go with Unity for the ease of things. As Cryengine has a very awkward pipeline workflow. So awkward I find Source Engine easier to predict my outcomes than CE.
    Not for very long, if asset pipeline is what you're talking about.

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?p=1224463#p1224463
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is with the current state of things at Crytek, there is a possibility that CryEngine won't be supported some time in the future.

Is it worth taking the risk right now?
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing I haven't seen mentioned here is with the current state of things at Crytek, there is a possibility that CryEngine won't be supported some time in the future.

Is it worth taking the risk right now?

If you're not making a game with it, there's nothing to risk... although I think everybody should at least learn the basics of UE4.
    CryEngine is for people who love shiny objects and pain.

'Wow, an 85 stage content pipeline whose stability is determined by the conjunction of the orbit of Venus and the fair market price of a gently used Fiat? Sign me up.'

Takes one button click for me to export my assets to Cryengine 3, and they instantly update in-engine. Setting up a new asset with the correct material group and a new cryexport node literally takes 30 seconds.

I do not understand the issues people have with the CE3 pipeline... other than it being different than what one is used to.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not for very long, if asset pipeline is what you're talking about.

http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?p=1224463#p1224463
    The fact that it is still buggy and clunky, especially for a character pipeline. I find it obtrusive to use compared to Source Engine or Unreal's. Considering how long Cryengine has been with everyone since 2004. It's still not a fun one to use, unless you are a level designer. As Cryengine is really nothing more than a Garrys Mod in an engine form. Where you still have to hack at making stuff right.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As Cryengine is really nothing more than a Garrys Mod in an engine form.

Yes, you cannot make games with Cryengine at all. Crysis 3 wasn't made with Cryengine, of course not.
    The fact that it is still buggy and clunky,

Exporting an asset takes seconds for me. Don't really understand what you're talking about here.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RexM wrote: »
    Yes, you cannot make games with Cryengine at all. Crysis 3 wasn't made with Cryengine, of course not.
    Could you read this anymore in everyway incorrect from what I implied?
    Exporting an asset takes seconds for me. Don't really understand what you're talking about here.
    Again, you must be skimming your eyes picking things you want to see. I spoke directly about character pipeline, not simple static props. Though I could make a statement how exporting an asset (such as a static prop) is nothing more than a click of a button. But knowing how the material editor can mess up saving. Well, I am sure you already know where I am going.
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle

I do not understand the issues people have with the CE3 pipeline... other than it being different than what one is used to.

I'd be willing to bet you use 3ds Max and Photoshop. Use anything beyond that and you're screwed. The 3.5.3 Maya exporter screwed up my Maya install so badly I had to reformat my computer. Not to mention even the example content wouldn't even export properly with Maya. God forbid you want to use Blender, either.

I've never understood why the couldn't just use FBX, it's 2014 you know.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I use Maya 2012 64-bit.
    The 3.5.3 Maya exporter screwed up my Maya install so badly I had to reformat my computer.

That's impossible, sorry. Whatever happened there, a simple Maya exporter isn't going to screw up things so badly that you have to reformat your computer.
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    No, I use Maya 2012 64-bit.

That's impossible, sorry. Whatever happened there, a simple Maya exporter isn't going to screw up things so badly that you have to reformat your computer.

I dunno man. I nuked every single directory that could conceivably have been related to Maya and CryEngine and reinstalled a few times. It still didn't work right. Basically it would crash on 'importing CryTools' when there were no CryTools present or any settings. I still don't know to this day how it happened, it was really weird. The best thing I could come up with was that CryTools installed themselves in a hidden directory somewhere that kept propagating whenever I installed Maya.

I know what I'm doing with computers, too, worked as a computer tech for 3-4 years, so it's not a knowledge problem.

But anyway, that encapsulates the CryTek attitude: if you don't work on exactly our pipeline don't count on our stuff working, even if we 'support' it.