Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Suit

IZZE
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
IZZE polycounter lvl 8
Hello everyone,

I have been lurking for a while now. I have wanted to learn proper gaming pipeline for quite some time. And since Ddo now has the open beta, I have no excuse not to.

I hope you all can give me some feedback on my topology, and technique. I finished sculpting about two weeks ago. Have since decimated and started re-topology. I have stopped several times to UV and test normal maps. I have encountered several problems, and found solutions. But now need a little assistance, so figured it is a good time to start a thread.

I am getting some "faceting" on flat areas. I added an edge to sort of bevel the offending area, but still get faceting. I am not sure if is something I should worry about or not. I think textures could mask the problem. But would like to know if there is an easy solution.

So Here is my model so far:
space_suit_wire_001.jpg

Here is the decimated model:
decimate_001.jpg

And here is the faceting I am getting:
space_suit_facet_001.jpg

Thanks for any feedback and assistance with my problem.
Christopher

Replies

• skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    How is it unwrapped? Is it stitched or a seam ?
  • Hamakua
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hamakua polycounter lvl 4
    I too have been taking advantage of the Ddo open beta (fantastic suite) and thought I'd share some discoveries I've made concerning baking/normals.

Not all OBJs are created equal, depending on the program that is doing the exporting there can be different results when imported into engines like Marmoset.

For example, OBJs from zbrush return different UV seams compared to OBJs exported from 3ds max, even if it is the very same file with no modification (just the exporting process changes them).

I noticed that a helm I was working on had similar seams to your picture when it came out of the OBJ from Zbrush, but they were perfect when they came out of 3ds max. This had nothing to do with smoothing groups or export settings. What I believe it had to do with, when I opened up the files in notepad, is that zbrush delivers very high precision per coordinate, 6 or 7 figures after the decimal, while IIRC 3ds max only has 4 in its final setting.

If I had to guess it's the old Chem lab lesson of precision =/= accurate. I think 3ds max seeks to be extremely accurate in its export when checking seams on the UV vs. where they are on the mesh. Zbrush, not so much, but I don't blame it for that, it's brilliant at many things.

If you have access to another 3d modelling program, especially max, try importing the mesh OBJ and exporting it again without any modification and see if that changes the visible seam you are trying to get rid of.

I would post pictures of the example but my PSU is currently down.

I ran into the problem and none of the conventional knowledge out there specifically addressed my issue, When I opened up the two "identical" OBJ files from the two programs and saw just how different the coordinates were, I just figured it was an accuracy vs. precision issue. I didn't follow it further as I solved my issue.

I hope this helps.

My work order was

Dynamesh sculpt in Zbrush > retopo in Zbrush > Projectrion/subdivision Zbrush > UV unwrap Zbrush> Export Low_poly_Z.OBJ > Import Low_poly_Z.OBJ to Max > (don't touch anything!) Export Low_poly_Max.OBJ >

Dynamesh sculpt in Zbrush > Decimation Master High Poly > Export HP for Xnormal

Xnormal bake Zbrush_Decimated.OBJ vs. Low_Poly_Max.OBJ for maps.

Low_poly_Max.OBJ is not identical to Low_Poly_Z.OBJ

If you bring both into Marmoset next to each other, at least in my case, the subtle seam between the UVs via the normal bake was visible on the Z file but not on the max file, the max file was seamless. In my case, no matter what order I baked things, from what file sources, I simply could not get rid of the Z brush seam, the max files never displayed the seam, (this is not talking about diffuse texture seam, this is the normal seam.)

I hope this helps, but I am unsure if it's your specific issue.

I registered this account just to reply to your issue.
  • IZZE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IZZE polycounter lvl 8
    Here are the UV's. There is a shell border where the cylinder attaches. But the faceting goes up past two edge loops beyond the border.

space_suit_uv_001.jpg
  • IZZE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IZZE polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the reply Hamakua

I did have problems with the normal map along the UV seams earlier in this project. I would UV in Headus UVLayout, then go directly into Marmoset. It took me a bit to figure out that if I brought the obj back into XSI from UVLayout, then export to Marmoset, the seam issue was fixed. (smoothing groups I assumed)

But as you can see. This is not really a seam issue. More of a faceting along sharp edge type of issue. The faceting is happening a few edge loops off of the UV seam.
  • IZZE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IZZE polycounter lvl 8
    Just wanted to post an update on my WIP. CC welcome.

suit_001.jpg
    suit_002.jpg
    suit_003.jpg
    suit_004.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Looks real nice!!

The gun looks a little smooshed to me. I think it's a result of having that one piece butt against the magazine like that. Maybe adding another few inches in there would help? I'm sure someone else with more hard surface experience/design could add.

Very very small but from a design standpoint, the camo between the elbow and shoulder doesn't have enough variation. It's too much of 1 single color. When viewing these images small it didn't instantly read as camo. Small change but I think it would help.
  • Carabiner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carabiner greentooth
    Nothing constructive to add -- this looks fantastic!
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    cool pose!
    loving the hands! they feel very meaty!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looking very cool so far. I feel like the colour scheme could be adjusted to make it pop more, it feels very unified atm.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    very nice, piu piu space girls :D:D

I agree with komaokc, pim the colors and she will be perfect :thumbup:
    Maybe you make a little scene with her and a alien monster, this would be cool ^^
  • IZZE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IZZE polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks all! I did a little color adjust in AE and it does look much better. I'll continue to color correct in my next posts, after I get some more texturing done. I also still need to build the low poly for the gun.
  • Emanuel_palalic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emanuel_palalic polycounter lvl 6
    Wow, I love the boots, and helmet. It all looks really good. Looks like aliens mixed with doom. Good job!