Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Quadbarrel Shotgun [WIP]

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
IntelligentDesign polycounter lvl 5
Hey all,

Working on one of my first personal projects and thought I'd share what I have so far for some early feedback. My goal for the model is to have it feel like a weapon cobbled together from old and futuristic parts, and it has four barrels because I just thought it would be cool for it to have four barrels haha. I've attached a few angles of the base mesh and 1 image showing where I am in the sculpting process. I'd love to hear what people think, and if anyone has any critiques I'd really appreciate it.

l8GG8ls.jpg
Y8SL1h8.jpg
Sq0Fgt7.jpg
MyzH0g0.jpg

Replies

• IntelligentDesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some more work done last night and this afternoon. I finished the sculpt on the upper receiver (which really wasn't that involved) and have started adding some smaller details such as the texture for the material wrapped around the handle. As always, feedback would be much appreciated

FvGDy59.jpg
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    A quad barrel shotgun is a fun concept, but right now I'm just seeing a cube with four tubes sticking out; no real form or design to the weapon. Behind the cube, your grip has some form and is doing some nice things, but the front just isn't.

It looks like the functions like a side-by-side shotgun but with another row on top. I'd consider looking up side-by-side and over-under shotguns to brainstorm what is and isn't working. Draw some design elements from both because that's basically what this is.
  • IntelligentDesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A quad barrel shotgun is a fun concept, but right now I'm just seeing a cube with four tubes sticking out; no real form or design to the weapon. Behind the cube, your grip has some form and is doing some nice things, but the front just isn't.

It looks like the functions like a side-by-side shotgun but with another row on top. I'd consider looking up side-by-side and over-under shotguns to brainstorm what is and isn't working. Draw some design elements from both because that's basically what this is.

Yeah, the receiver was a piece I kept going back and forth on. What it came down to was a decision on my part to go with a simpler design due to my lack of experience using ZBrush for hard surface sculpting. I've attached an image of the concept I was working on before this. I think it's the right way to go, but I'd like some opinions before I get too far

McY1vgv.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    you should really work after references : P

It cant fire as it is right now. You will need 4 trigger bolts and currently you have none. Something has to hit on the back of your shells so they ignite.
    If its no open bolt, then you have to leave a lot more place on the back hemisperes, so that there can be a bolt
    inside
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    What it came down to was a decision on my part to go with a simpler design due to my lack of experience using ZBrush for hard surface sculpting.

I feel like you just announced a weakness in your skill set as an artist. I'd use this as an opportunity to close the gap between your work and professional work; learn ZBrush! Or subdivision modeling (which is what I primarily use on hard surface work).

Also, I like exposed barrels. I think the look is very imposing.
  • IntelligentDesign
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike wrote: »
    you should really work after references : P

It cant fire as it is right now. You will need 4 trigger bolts and currently you have none. Something has to hit on the back of your shells so they ignite.
    If its no open bolt, then you have to leave a lot more place on the back hemisperes, so that there can be a bolt
    inside

Wow, didn't even realize. Guess I'm going back to the drawing board for a bit before I start up again in ZBrush
    I feel like you just announced a weakness in your skill set as an artist. I'd use this as an opportunity to close the gap between your work and professional work; learn ZBrush! Or subdivision modeling (which is what I primarily use on hard surface work).

Also, I like exposed barrels. I think the look is very imposing.

Probably should have mentioned somewhere that I'm not at a professional level yet. I'm currently still at college studying digital media design, but since the major focuses more on programming I've had to learn ZBrush mostly on my own. This is really my first hard modeling project in ZBrush
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Wow, didn't even realize. Guess I'm going back to the drawing board for a bit before I start up again in ZBrush

Probably should have mentioned somewhere that I'm not at a professional level yet. I'm currently still at college studying digital media design, but since the major focuses more on programming I've had to learn ZBrush mostly on my own. This is really my first hard modeling project in ZBrush

You're not going to get to a professional level by making excuses and playing it safe. You will get to a professional level by working hard and by constantly pushing yourself. Even "professionals" are constantly pushing themselves and their work further.

The resources are available to you online. It's up to you to go out and find what you need.

If a problem is difficult and complicated, break it down into simpler and more manageable parts.