Home General Discussion

Which Digital Tutors tutorials are best for a beginner to start making Dota items?

Hey all! Complete beginner to Maya here- I recently began a Digital Tutors subscription in an attempt to start creating some of my own Dota items in the workshop. For anyone who has been through this process before as a beginner, which Maya tutorials have been the best for laying the foundation?

I have completed the modeling portion of Introduction to Maya 2015, and Introduction to Modeling in Maya. Which Digital Tutors tutorials did you find helped you the most in beginning to create solid work? It could also be from outside DT, but as you might understand, I would like to make the most of my subscription.

I'm also having trouble finding a start-to-finish guide on how to create Dota items and submit them (for Maya users).

It seems like my start-to-finish workflow will look something like this?
1) Draw concept art (Photoshop)
2) Create a 3d model (Maya)
3) Do UV mapping (Maya)
4) Do a 'retopo' Still not sure entirely what this means, but I know you are making both a lo poly and hi poly model of the item using valve's polygon restrictions. I'm not sure why you need both models either? (Maya)
5) Add textures? I think this means to color the model? (Not sure what program here. Photoshop? I have access to zbrush but I don't know what the program does)
6) Create marketing icons (Not sure what program here.)

I know this is a lot of questions and they probably have been answered already, but the search function is kind of lacking. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you for your help!

Replies