Home Technical Talk

Skin Folds Topology In Topogun

Hey everybody,

I new to the whole sculpting thing (came from efx) and I'd like to know how do you retopo skin folds, especially those that fold in on themselves.

Where would I put the points? If I put them on top of the folds, won't that affect my geometry badly? Then again, I don't know if I can put them inside the folds... So what happens in such circumstances?

Maybe this is a silly question but I'm new to retopo.

Thank you so much

PS: Don't know if this makes a difference but the final model will be used for animation.

Replies

• deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    Depends on what you have there.. Is that an eye? Just put them as close as you can normal map should do the rest... Unless that's an eye.. Then you need to model it again for deformations. You would need to put the eye half way and then retopo as otherwise normal map distortion will happen.

You can't put them inside the folds.. but you can put them along the folds it should simulate folding on deformation.

If it will deform a lot:
    HmT0bwF.jpg

If it won't deform too much:
    Cr8qpvw.jpg
  • supermoby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank You! So sorry - my mistake - forgot to say that Yes, it's an eye.

This makes sense.

So most skin folds (let's say a wrinkled face) would be given a topo like the top image you included? I'm guessing the logic here being that if the skinfold doesn't open up (like an eyelid does) then it's no problem... right?

Thanks again for clarifying things.